Recommendations The Best RR has to offer (Fantasy)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Silerus, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Silerus

Silerus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for fantasy novels from RoyalRoad which you consider as one of the best there.
    I'm trying to make a must-read list for myself and I hope to read some good stuff.

At this point I've read nothing from there, not even Mother of Learning, so all recommendations are welcome, as long as it's great, fantasy and from RoyalRoad.

Thanks in advance!

angora likes this.
  2. aser123

aser123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say Mother of Learning :)

Silerus and angora like this.
  3. r_pers

r_pers Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Azarinth Healer is a must! It’s also on Scribblehub, but its active posting site is RR. Pretty amazing, the MC is a young bisexual woman, the pace is perfect, the action is even better and the overall result is at least 9/10!

Some other ones are Tree of Aeons (very very different from Azarinth Healer, the overal quality is not as great but very good anyway), and probably Chrysalis (also a must read, the style and reasoning can be confusing sometimes because the transmigrated MC is a young boy, but that only makes the author more proficient in my opinion).
    They are fundamentally different, a topic representation each of them: Azarinth Healer has a human MC with a chill but very natural and relatable personality (probably one of the most realistic isekai out there), Tree of Aeons has a human MC transmigrated into a Tree with lots of kingdom building and development, and Chrysalis has a child MC reincarnated into an ant monster, with biomass/evolutuon elements and later kingdom building of sorts.

The three are great, established novels with a solid reader base and more than 100 long chapters each (134 for Tree of Aeons, 627 for Azarinth and more than 650 for Chrysalis). There are many more good fantasy novels in RR, but these are great IMO.

Reack, Silerus and angora like this.
  4. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    The Bounty Hunter MC has the power to travel between Earth and a fantasy world. Starts out kind of dark but gradually becomes more lighthearted.
    The Dao of Magic Story about a guy who transmigrates to a cultivation world before getting banished to a fantasy world. Hilarious.
    Binary Soul By the same author as Everybody Loves Large Chests. Just as funny without the casual murdering.
    Not sure if you looking for MC is a dungeon stories, but they are fantasy and RRL has some great ones:
    The Bound Dungeon, Dungeon Heart, and Dungeon of Seasons are my favorite 3.

Silerus likes this.
  5. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Wandering Inn.

Reack and Silerus like this.
  6. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Just check out my sig dude
    I listed everything worth reading under the rr blog link

Silerus likes this.
  7. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    But my top 3

Beware o
    f

chicken
    is
    a
    must
    read

Silerus likes this.
  8. platys51

platys51 Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't recommend wandering inn. Its epic novel that I spent years reading, but that made it so much harder to drop when author started butchering her work later on and tried to stuff her views on politics or similar stuff down your throat.

Starts as one of the best works out there, ends up still high quality grammatically, but poor enough overall to deserve dropping.

My recommendation would be said mother of learning and beware the chicken. That one is new but highly promising.

Defiance of the fall, Interdimensional garbage merchant and forge of destiny are great too.

Especially last one. Its take on cultivation is really unique. My favourite cultivation novel by far.

FIEND and Silerus like this.
  9. DiXanthos

DiXanthos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my wrinkles, I have several. Going to list them and then in an edit, detail them.

- Vainqueur the Dragon. The adventures of an ego-filled dragon & his human thief-turned-minion as they battle taxes, gold-hating liches, evil gods, demonic empires, vampires, omnicidal fae, etc. Ridiculously funny. By the later chapters, I knew every time I read it I would probably laugh until my stomach hurt a bit.

- Ave Xia Rem Y. Also known as "A very cliche xianxia harem story"... that's anything but. Some of the plot outlines of each scenario are cliche, but the narration, way of handling feelings, resolutions, etc. by the characters are not cliche. And all of it it's extremely well-written. It tells the tale of a young man who wants to be a doctor like his father while his life intersects with the fate of a cultivation sect & other great characters.

- UnFamiliar. In a medieval-like society where nobles & commoners are at each other throats, a bullied girl in a magic academy discovers an unexpected friend & teacher. Yet the story behind this friend goes beyond her imagination, as does the enemies lurking close. (Love the helpful Lich and the deeper problems in the story).

- Melas. Diary of a witch in world that hates magic users. Fun encounters with tragedy! And a creepy god/devil that's plotting something! (The side-stories tell the tale of Adrian, who is best boy). Note: In Royalroad there are two versions: the abandoned old one and the rewrite. The one you seek is the second.

- Necrotourists. An all-powerful but lunatic lich & his also mildly insane vassals decide it's time to leave behind the creepy tomb they have holed up for millennia & go on a tourist trip around the world to see how it has changed. (Funny and the weird, creepy, perturbing semi-divine magic is awesome; combine that with the bonding with apprentice and it's great. The Hero Group is a source of great comedy.).

- This Young Master is Not Cannon Fodder. A person reincarnates as the son of the Sword Empress - the most powerful person in the world they inhabit & proceeds to be... a dutiful son that doesn't seek problems. Yet problems present themselves as he crosses paths with people that fit "villain" or "Main character" molds. The Mom is a great character & has her own arc.

- A Dragon Idol's Reincarnation Tale. A girl who wanted to be an idol tragically dies. yet she gets a second chance to accomplish her dream in another world. Also, she is now a dragon. (I really like it, specially the chapters after they leave the initial forest; I enjoy a lot the fictional kingdom & its particularities. I'm really eager to see the reunion with her cousin & the meeting with hilarious Dragon God Grandpa).

- Unfathomable Senior. Middle-aged person finds himself in another world as a powerful cultivator senior with a system & awesome powers. Decides to follow the script, saving a clan & becoming its leader. Until something happens that makes him break from these boundaries. (Enjoyable, gets progressively better. The arc where they start working with allied clans is one of my favorites. Has a couple of really crazy twists each "volume end" - like the one that just occurred. Also, it nails down the point-of-view & moral differences between modern day people like us and people born in a crazy, violent xianxia world).

- World's Keeper. An unprepared man becomes a "god" for a new Earth. So, he has to get into shape, stop thinking with his lower parts & comprehend a vast amount of weird stuff as the societies of his New World progress through the ages, helping them here & there - specially once other-worldly calamities show up or others like him invade. Accompanying him are a cast of gods, other Keepers & some inhabitants who gain prominence & become real stars of the story. (It starts weak & mildly uncomfortable, gets progressively better. Love Udona and crazy scientist James, "Nine tails are justice!").

- Ben's Damn Adventure: The Prince Has No Pants. Too crazy to describe, but here goes: man (& all life on Earth) are transported to a fantasy world by The System on the command of asshole space elves. His best friend is a telepathic white shark (who justly earns the title of "best bro ever"). Incredible well-written and really, really funny.

- Sylver Seeker. Badass necromancer lich finds himself in a strange situation after eliminating a betrayer who wiped out all of his mage friends. He awakens as a... ghost? in another continent & time, and will have to start over. But first, it must convince a desperate young man to give him his body. Great tales as this ancient lich discovers new stuff ("people have a [game-like] system now? What the heck!"), meets allies, makes enemies, and uncovers mysteries & battles to be fought. A lot. The action scenes are great and his style of fighting is sometimes stomach-revolting as befitting a necromancer.

Others I have perused, enjoyed, but haven't read until the last chapter: Dead Tired (gentleman scientist lich in a cultivation world), Cinnamon Bun, The Essence of Cultivation, Power Overwhelming.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Silerus likes this.
  10. Silerus

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, I thought it's a must-read and definitely nr.1 on my to-read list of RR novels.

Thanks, I've been looking at those 3 for some time and they all seem like they would be perfect for me.
    I hope they match or exceed my expectations :D

They all seem great, but I probably won't read most of them, because of the words I dread the most - "HIATUS".
    Every time I see them, all of my motivation to read a novel just disappears :(

Now I'm not sure what to do about The Wandering Inn. I'm pretty used to the authors stuffing their political views down my throat from all the CN novels and I'm quite good at ignoring it, so maybe I should check it out anyway.

Mother of Learning and Beware of Chicken are definitely on my list, but I'm gonna wait for the Chicken to have >100 chapters before picking it up.

I will check out the other three, they all seem great!

Wow, that a giant list of recommendations right there, it will take me some time to go through it all, thanks mate!

My god, there's so many of them and they all seem great. That's going to take me forever to get through ^^
    Thanks lots :)

FIEND likes this.
  11. platys51

platys51 Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, this is not RR title, but try practical guide to Evil as well.

That is a masterpiece.

Silerus and FIEND like this.
  12. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand, but they all have a ton of chapters written before going on hiatus. Dao of Magic in particular is huge. Even if you choose active ones there's no guaranty they'll make it that far before they're dropped too. Bounty Hunter and Binary Soul reached a good stopping point too, so they're closer to completed than dropped.

Silerus likes this.
  13. DiXanthos

DiXanthos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of the ones I have recommended that have the HIATUS tag:

- Necrotourists has already gone through hiatuses in the past, usually in these months of the year, so I suspect it will come back later on during sometime between March and the middle of the year as it has previously done.

- UnFamiliar's athor said it will restart once things "have calmed down" in regards to political scene and has actually recently removed the text explaining the reasons - either due backlash or because it's about to restart again.

Silerus likes this.
  14. Omnijack

Omnijack Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I came in here all amped to tell you about this great story I just read called Mother of Learning, but I guess I'm just gonna join you looking through these recs instead.

Silerus likes this.
  15. 3xtBlade

3xtBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m quite sure that Binary Soul is in fact, completed.

Anyways, I would also recommend Mists of Redemption. It isn’t like, extremely good, but it seems to have everything flowing well and grammatically sound. Maybe not a 9, but a consistent 7.5 out of 10 at least for every chapter.

Silerus likes this.
  16. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey can u pls elaborare
    I wanna kmow what about to get in to

17. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Silerus

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard a lot of good things about this one, just read the summary and it seems interesting, also there's a lot of content to read (6 books) so it's definitely going on my to-read list.
    Thanks mate!

Yeah I know, but it's just such an awful feeling when you've been reading and following a novel for a long time and you get no closure. I will have to think hard about these, I don't won't to miss some great novels, but then again I don't want to end up without closure for great novels even more ^^

That's great, I don't mind waiting for the Hiatuses to end, my only real concern is that I heard a RoyalRoad Hiatus is usually a permanent hiatus. As long as there's a chance they will end, I will just save these novels to read them then.

Another Mother of Learning recommendation is always welcome, it hypes me up for this novel even more :D

Mists of Redemption really reminds me of most KR novels and I just went on a reading spree of ~15 KR novels, so I will probably save it for later, but thank you anyway!

This is the link in your bio right? This list is gonna that A LOT of my time in the future ^^