Discussion Do you have a dream university?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by katofu, Feb 9, 2021.

1. katofu

katofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh random rant but I’ve been really stressed abt my future and I have a dream university I want to attend in mind but I feel so discouraged with my poor grades in freshman year...especially since the applicants are the cream of the crop since it’s a prestigious school. Lol I wished that I didn’t have a dream uni so I wouldn’t be crushed if I get rejected lol anyways that leads me to the question Do you have a dream university too? If you had one and got in or had one and got rejected how’d you feel?

imK likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dream uni remained exactly that— a dream. Had no illusions about getting into it, and no regrets(except, maybe a teeny, tiny twinge) when I didn't make it. :sushi_sigh:

Xxsafirex and imK like this.
  3. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I did, I got accepted on a full ride and my mother said no because it was in a different country and I would've had to go alone.

Fulminata likes this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, Ai-chan studied theoretical magic and cosmetics engineering in Ai-chan's dream. Even got a Degree In Horseriding from the University of some planet with codes for name. Ai-chan was rejected admission once for shooting the dean with a plasma super soaker.

Fulminata, imK and kkgoh like this.
  5. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can afford it, aim for it. Your grades have time to improve and if it doesn't work, at least you've tried your best.

imK likes this.
  6. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a dream university that I wanna get in, but with my current grades, it's impossible, Thankfully I still have few years before my university exam, so I will try my best to work hard

Fulminata and imK like this.
  7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    You want to be the guy with average intelligence attending the same expensive University that's filled with valedictorians? Yeah, no. Choose a medium tier school instead. Your self esteem and family's finances will thank you for it.

I went to a engineering college that was beyond my capabilities. I didn't know it before going there, of course. It took me months to realize why I was so far behind everybody else. My high school didn't teach me the required study habits that college expected of me. By then, I was overwhelmed and had to cut my losses, ie just ignored a couple of classes to focus on the rest. My grades were crap which led to my transcript looking like crap to potential employers especially when compared to everyone else from my school.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  8. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    i didnt get into the university i wanted and my dream is not to get kicked out of this one

9. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    I had. There were 2 of them. One in country. It was a top engineering institute. The other overseas. Although not that prestigious, it's pretty known woman univ.

But, as expected. Just a dream.
    When rejected, I was disappointed at that time. Tho, I quickly got up and tried my all to apply the same major in other good univs. I had even prepared my self to work overseas if I couldn't get into univ.
    In the end, I was enlightened. I made a big decision to completely change the major and univ. I never regret it. I found another kind of passion in my current major and univ.

But, for a freshman there's still enough time right? You should tighten your belt and keep going as hard as you can. Sometimes, we just don't know when to run or when to stop. So please have plan Bs.
    Like what my lecturers said, world won't end just because you're rejected in your dream univ.

10. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck to everyone applying to university! :blobhighfive:

11. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Got into my uni of choice. Its not that great but its a full scholarship as long as I have good grades which is all I can hope for. Still have to pay for books though.

12. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. In my country the universities have to keep the same level, so there aren't any cream of the crop uni. There are some who are better in some departments, like have good equipped labs, but for my faculty that wasn't the case.
    So I never had a dream uni. I didn't think about going abroad because I'm studying law and that's quite country-related. I did wonder for a while if I should try and go to an university in the dutch-speaking area. In the end, I choose not to and went to the uni in my province. And it's a nice university.
    I had a friend who had a dream uni. She wanted to get into the astrophysics department in Maastricht. One of the best astrophysics universities in the world and close to home. Sadly she passed the exams, but wasn't good enough to be chosen. Another friend failed the exam to get into the medical faculty. It's a pity, they worked so hard for it.
    If I had a dream uni and got in, I would be happy and motivated.
    If I had one and didn't get in, it depends on how much I dreamed of it I guess. But generally, I'm somebody with the head up in the clouds and end up going along with the flow a lot. So I would have gone to another uni and gotten used to it. Maybe I would spare that failure some thoughts when I'm looking back and feel sad if things are bad or nostalgic if life worked out.
    I hope you get into that university or in another that you'll love, and that you'll love your studies! :blobsalute::blobsalute:

Blazingprincess, AliceShiki and imK like this.
  13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew I remembered you from somewhere! Weren't we in the same Potions class back in '87?
    You still remember Harry? I heard he smoked too much weed/knocked up some chick named Hermie, and had to re-enroll in some crappy school called Hogwarts.

Fulminata, imK and Ai chan like this.
  14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I had one, but I couldn't make it. Arguably, I never really tried as well. But I have learned that in this age of internet, all universities are the same. Sure, your starting position may vary, but your career can still be crafted by you. Ofc, the quality of people around you will differ significantly.

Fulminata, AliceShiki and imK like this.
  15. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone once said, aim for the top instead of aiming for 10th place and settling. At least if you put in the effort to each the top, you climb higher

16. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I should note that in the end, I didn't do any work in the major I studied and graduated with. My entire 30 year career was in a totally different industry where I worked along side high school drop outs and under some managers who were college drop outs. So don't get so hung up on the which college/university you go to. As long as it has a decent reputation, ie not a "for profit" college/university, and you study a technical-type subject, you will look good enough for any job.

Fulminata, AliceShiki and imK like this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    none, actually this cat have none~
    you see one of this cat dream was after high school go work or thing like that~ yes this cat interested toward few stuff~ rather than university this cat lean more toward subject or the course~ archeology, IT ( hardware section not the software one), history and law~
    this cat accepted into IT course but give up for better work potential course~ still it kinda fun~

hmm similarly have no dream school unlike most of this cat peer back then so nah no pressure~ maybe cuz this cat kinda poor back then so for education stuff as long as it can be done its ok kind of attitude~

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't and I didn't, but yanno... I got in the best university in my country, it was an super-acclaimed university and stuff that's seriously awesome and blablabla...

Honestly? It sucked. It didn't help that I chose a major that wasn't really the best choice for me, but the university's infrastructure stunk, there was no support for the particular areas of the major that I wanted to study, the course wasn't taken very seriously by neither the students nor the teachers... And in the end I figured out that being in a special university just didn't mean that much in the end. All it did was look slightly better in your curriculum, and put an emphasis on the slightly there, because even that doesn't matter much.

Don't bother too much with this dream uni thing. I entered the best uni in my country and all I found was disappointment left and right, until I eventually just quit because I realized that just wasn't for me. And now I'm just self-employed on something that has nothing to do with that major and have a very unstable income that barely pays my bills.

Meanwhile, my brother entered one of the worst unis in my country at a PE major... He slacked a lot, barely put any effort, passed his class by doing last minute cramming and what not... And now he is the most successful person in my family.

My other brother that has a degree in computer science in an excellent uni and a degree in game design in a subpar uni is now working as an English teacher and he is earning about the same as the minimum monthly wage of my country.

That's just how things work in life. You think your life is set and that your dream uni will open the path to your dream job to you... But it's not quite like that, things often times take a completely different direction than you expect.

Don't let the uni you wanna go to trouble you too much. There are plenty of others that are almost as good and will get you a job just the same~

19. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly? Not really.
    "B's get degrees" and "Internships earn connections"

Keep your grades up (make sure your college provides the correct types of courses you need for qualification for licensure or what looks appealing for higher education) and join a club or two every now and then. Get a good internship or two as well. You don't need much to be appealing for career paths or higher education paths other than these things to be honest.

Your future work experience means a hell of a lot more than your college education later on anyway. Your college background is literally the requirement for you to get your foot in the door. After you have had a couple jobs, the amount of education you have and your work experience matter significantly more than where you got your education from.

However, there is also campus culture. Pick a type you think suits you after you figure out your basic requirements that are listed above.

There are not many circles about where you attend college really matter too much. It is just really convenience thing at the end of the day. However, if you are honestly working towards being successful in your academia it does not matter too much. Everyone hits pretty much the same rough patch after college regardless of where they go (unless their family has high connections too).

In other words, pick a school that suit YOUR needs and wants. Don't worry if it isn't the best school or even the biggest school because many times the professors and instructors don't have much a connection with their students (which is kind of not a good thing anyway). Pick a school that is going to help you out or happens to have a specialized program towards the degree you want (if you really want a type of benefit like that).

Maybe pursue that higher school when you try to get a graduates or post-graduates because that's when the resources of those schools actually have an impact on your experience (in terms of research resources and guidance from mentors). It really is not worth it for an undergraduates.

However, still try to pick a school that suits your needs and wants. It is your life at the end of the day, so do what you think suits you. Shoot for that dream school if it is really something that will truly benefit you, but don't worry if you don't get accepted. You'll be surprised that many colleges still provide good experiences even when they are not in the top of the spectrum.

-signed as a college student

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  20. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah right, after reading other's I mostly agree especially with AliceShiki and MisterBubbles.

Uni isn't everything, don't let it pressure you much. I chose to get into my current major with the mindset to learn the subject I'm interested in, since it wasn't reliable if I learnt it blindly on internet. I even expect to have jobs unrelated to my major.

Other than that, there's many experience you can get in univ. Joining clubs or society helped the most. And since I'm a liberal art major, it's not that strange to know many of my peers focused on club's activities more than studies. So, instead of dreaming the top univ, you can consider univ with a good social environment. From what I know, most prestigious schools are very competitive. If you don't really have the aptitude and the mental strength to be there, you'll only crumble.

AliceShiki likes this.