Discussion Mushoku Tensei made me hate harem series more than ever

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Haridarkun17, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    It ain't the grand daddy, there are older anime/manga/ln/games that used the otherworld trope , like el hazard, fushigi yuugi, escaflowne, reyearth, spirited away, final fantasy unlimited, marchen awakens romance, grandia parallel trippers, dragon quest, etc.

2. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    i did say considered

AngryOnion likes this.
  3. Mellogang

Mellogang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The dude is worst main character. I mean Oversexualizing the woman. The story has pedophilia i mean the dude has 34 years old mind age and hes a pervert freak. Sksksksksk the story is traumatizing.

4. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because he was 30+ years old when he died does not mean he was mentally that age. I believe he is stuck in his high school age because everything from that time was all trauma for him.

AngryOnion and Xxsafirex like this.
  5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not if you are in the same body age, besides its not like a 6 something yr old kid can woo a woman in her 30's, now that's pedophilia.

6. Mellogang

Mellogang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Idk bro sound pedo to me still doesn't change my mind.

Rahmatrianz, Exalted and Wujigege like this.
  7. Potato Tomo

Potato Tomo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could give you some GOOD argument to this. This was the first isekai I've read many many years ago and I've just reread up to almost the ending. Reading it again, it wasn't as good as I remember but I also didn't think of it as bad. I'll try to say why some of us think it's the best isekai. The best parts I could think of was the characters and the events. The characters are more realistic than others and they are far from perfect. They suck but not that much. Just enough to feel a little depressed and you fwhen you're a teenager. They will stuck with you if this was the first isekai you've read. If you say the characters are flat I'm sorry to say that these characters for me are near the top in isekais and harems. The events were reeeaally interesting. A fresh read because you won't see most of the things happening in other past isekais like struggling with depression and grief. There's also a few twists here and there. Which jap novels seem to lack. Most things were not written because it was a travel around the world. It was really interesting and a fresh read the first volumes but I can't say it didn't lost steam for me at the end. The setting was kinda bad. Even though he roamed the world it still felt so small because of how little the given details are. The writing was interesting enough but I think the pacing was still bad. So bad I can't read up to the ending twice. I just didn't care as to what happen because at vol 19 or 20 that was the ending for me. I guess, that's why I didn't even finish it the first time lol. Last thoughts, the world should've been written more. It was a shame but that was just my personal thought. Overall the charm of this novel is a "realistic isekai novel" of that time and I still like it even with the new ones that came and even if this was no masterpiece and still can't read the ending lol.

If you hate harem or even the idea of it you shouldn't be reading this at all. Just read fluffs and romance stuff, you don't need to try to like it because harems at the end, aren't that realistic at all and won't work for the novel if it was in any other form than wn's. It's like reading ntr novels. No matter how good the art or well-written it is, it's still shit for me.

Oh and if you're over 20 worse 30 and trying to get into harems of course you will think that they're children and it's pedo. I got into harems and read this when I was 14 dude and for me that was the best time to read this. You won't even think much of the mc's age only that he was struggling sometimes and different from other characters you've read. You shouldn't be reading this to complain if you're not in that demographic and long past that age and just before you mature and not put your ideals into what you're reading. Atleast that's what I think. Unless. You were as immature and degenerate as Rudeus before he reincarnated. Maybe you can redeem yourself by reading this and following his example by making your parents proud, becoming a respectable part of the society, and finding a wife your own age and being perverted only to her and not things you read? /s

And guys you can shit on other people's taste, but don't be so hung up and think that yours are the only ones that are good.

Rune_Seeker, Gitami and Aean like this.
  8. Potato Tomo

Potato Tomo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh shit that's long I got fired up too much.

Rune_Seeker and Xxsafirex like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    actually the good part on da series is da harem limited so da character grow more, compared with other common harem mushouko tensei on this cat opinion still one of da best harem story this cat read on web~ and thats it this cat never like da story.... when da story reach part diary from future.... dear god idk how this cat able read that story....

AngryOnion likes this.
  10. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked it at the start, there was character development, but I stopped when he went to the academy and couldn't recognize his childhood friend. I was annoyed by all the lewdness. I can ignore one joke about panties, but not one every two chapters.

11. Xxsafirex

Xxsafirex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well it does sound ridiculous but why wouldn't it be a true plot, impotency is a real thing and mental issues do have impact on the body. The mc was trash from the beginning (hikikomori pretty much all have mental issues), i don't see why it wouldn't be a serious plot?

AngryOnion likes this.
  12. lazilygrinningcat

lazilygrinningcat Cookie Thief

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is the case, doesn't that mean all the Isekai, Travel to the Past, Taking over "insert name here" novels, and most of the novels are promoting pedophilia?

AngryOnion and AMissingLinguist like this.
  13. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say yes. I always find it a bit uncomfortable when a grown ass man(child) grooms a little girl, even if he is in the body of a child himself. Then again, when have isekai protagonists been anything but children? Even the reincarnated grandpas, grizzled war veterans, assassins and so on act like stupid children. At least most of them are scared of sex.

Rahmatrianz and Wujigege like this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are wasting your time.
    Many here have their head deep in the sand.
    There will never see anything wrong with the harem.
    They will use preferences as an excuse.
    Pedophilia is a "preference".
    Expecting humans to be self-reflective is a fool's errand.
    There are threads of people justifying rape too.

I had someone justify online hate comments death threats to a European football match official.
    Introspection is not humanity's strong suit.
    Empathy is harder than you think.
    Unless these people have been victims of pedophilia etc, they won't see it as disturbing when it is glamorized

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  15. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    What I find funny about the pedophilia complaint is, this is one of the few situations where it's not actually glorifying the pedophilia at all! The main character is presented as a creep from the beginning, and the whole point is that he's supposed to get better. So while he is a creepy pedophile at first, it's just one of the many things that are wrong with him and not something to be considered good.

There are many, many valid complaints to be had about mushoku tensei, but I don't agree with the one about pedophilia being glorified.

AngryOnion and Rafaelrgm like this.
  16. Ekisiel

Ekisiel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno man, if you hate harem, then why read/watch harem at all? :blobpopcorn:

AngryOnion likes this.
  17. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lmao i have too many things i wanna say, but mushoku tensei is my personal favorite isekai. reason why it feels so "shit" to read now is because many common tropes used today were created/popularized by mushoku tensei. objectively, rudy is a piece of shit and shouldn't even be given a second chance in his isekai world, but what makes it great personally for me is that the author doesn't shy away from the fact that he's flawed as a human being and builds on top of that. the decisions he makes might not be the best, but they are definitely a human decision that can be understood if you follow his character development. overall, if i were to read mushoku tensei nowadays, i would give it a 6.5-7/10, but it's insane how well developed characters are in this novel, which makes it my personal favorite.

also if you hate harem, why even read it? it's like someone saying they don't like shonen, but then going to read one piece.

18. Amuris

Amuris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember that I admired the way MT's harem seemed to be clearly planned back in the day. It drove home the point of the story with it being restricted to just the girls whom he learned one of the story's 3-4 morals with. For me, the fact that they were actually relevant to the core of the story was a big plus. His experience with each of them showed him initially learning some life lesson that he didn't in his prior life, which he had to steadily integrate into himself throughout the story so that he could grow from a disgusting, perv neet into someone with an actually happy life.

Don't know what I'd think now. That's one of the big problems with trying to recommend or talk about something you liked, you can't really copy paste the circumstances and thought process which lead you to like something. Just like I can't replicate that for someone else now, it's too late to recreate that moment for myself now.

Also, the ED part made him significantly less of a wierdo. I still find the idea that he could only be attracted to the women that meant that much to him and that he actually didn't care if they were women or men to be pretty cute. Helped him grow out of that shit.

AngryOnion likes this.
  19. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

Wait, this is a discussion? I thought it was a rant or bait. :hmm:

Pedophilia? I don't consider this pedophilia, because both Rudeus and Eris are considered adults in their world when they consummate.
    Adultery? I agree, MC and his father are mansluts.
    Sexualizing women? MC may have sexual thoughts about women, but he keeps it to himself most of the time.

Rudeus DGAF on mother's feelings? Divorce can potentially ruin children's futures. Aisha and Norn were future siblings that could've had a harder life if MC didn't repair his parent's marriage. Rudeus was just trying to stop his mother from making a sudden and irreversible decision. I can see your point, but I don't enjoy reading about children living with only one parent.

Lack of empathy? Not sure what this is about.

Mother's abduction? Rudeus drops everything and goes to save her, changing his own future.

Cheating and abusive husband? Don't know who that could refer to.

MC is perverted? I didn't mind, but that's personal preference.

Toxic relationship? Not sure about this either.

Who are the main characters that come to mind when you think of Rudeus and pervert MCs?

I spent way more time than I needed on writing this comment. :blobpopcorn_two:

20. Deleted member 193678

Deleted member 193678 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei made me realize people have shit taste. MC and a lot of the characters are very creepy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.