Discussion CN authors erroneously feed kitten milk?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lailai, Feb 9, 2021.

?

Did you know before this post that kittens and cats should not be fed animal milk?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cat, milk then tom and jerry~
    this cat favourite is chocolate on Valentine and Christmas must have Christmas tree lol
    oh also diamond is forever~

novaes likes this.
  2. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obesity too??!? Wow will keep it in mind! Someone I know was raising a cat, but one day noticed the cat would hesitate to jump onto the bed, as if unsure if she could jump that “high.” That was how they realized the cat was overweight.

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The funny thing is that Chinese writers are getting this trope from Western fiction to begin with. Milk is traditionally absent from the Chinese diet and it didn't show up there until that last few decades. Even now I wouldn't be surprised if yogurt drinks are more popular than milk beverages.

c.decora and Saikyi like this.
  4. Dwarkin

Dwarkin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a Mongolian I feel that this "lactose intolerance" is mostly bullshit. We are nomadic nation and drink/eat milk and dairy products every day, since childhood, and I've never seen anyone who has troubles digesting it (if it's not expired). I'd read an article few years ago that a 95% of us have "lactose intolerance", but somehow we still survive, consuming it daily. And cats and dogs have no problems too

5. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK man, my dog loves milk but it gives him horrendous farts and the runs, no matter how much he wants it I just can't survive his chemical warfare. So there's definitely something there for dogs. Oh boy it's so bad.

6. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lactose intolerance is a scale.

some people are only slightly intolerant and therefore they can actually drink tons of milk, but will just burp or fart constantly.

those who have more symptoms will feel nauseous when they smell milk and might get a headache if they continue smelling the smell.

some might get irritated throats if they drink it and the most severe ones might have difficulty breathing as their throats cramp up together

you are wrong to call them fragile digestive systems, since it is more or less similar to an allergy.

it's like saying people who have allergy to seafood have fragile digestive systems when there are some who can eat more garbage than you think.

just because you don't know anyone with it does not mean it does not exist.

just like all the rare illnesses and strange metals in our world

7. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, but it seems that I either explained myself poorly or you have overthought and inferred things that were not there.
    Of course lactose intolerance has a scale, and due to how it works, it mostly depends on two variables, which are the degree of lactase production (which may range between slightly insufficient to zero) and the composition of intestinal bacterial flora. In some people, the degree even increases as they age. As a rule of thumb, the less lactase you produce and/or the more lactose-digesting bacteria that live in your gut, the worse your symptoms, and those symptoms may vary depending on the exact place those bacteria thrive better.
    Also, you seem to be mistaking lactose intolerance with lactose allergy and milk allergies (all of them are different things) as well as symptoms caused by those conditions with secondary psychological symptoms caused by phobia, so let's explain them:
    • the nausea and headaches from the smell of milk are often psychological symptoms developed by the body to prevent the intake of something that may cause harm in lactose intolerant, lactose allergic and milk allergic people, but it can also be caused by hypersensibility to volatiles present in milk (either naturally or by cattle raising practices).
    • irritated throats and throat cramping, as well as some other symptoms like rashes, are caused by allergies, usually lactose (which makes one allergic to any milk) or so-called cow-proteine allergies (which makes one allergic specifically to cow milk, but may still drink sheep, goat, horse or camel milk without issues).
    • the part about "fragile digestive systems" was specifically about cats, which have a more delicate digestive system than one may think, and it's why all veterinarians contraindicate milk specifically for cats; some veterinarians don't bother to contraindicate it for dogs, for example (with the exception of specific breeds with very weak stomachs and guts), because they usually have more sturdy digestive systems. "Fragile digestive systems" is not the cause of lactose intolerance, but it's a comorbidity that exacerbates the symptoms and, in extreme cases, lead to death.
    I don't know who the people who made the article were, but they blundered so bad no words exist to describe them. Lactose intolerance, with the exception of morbid lactose intolerance, is a natural thing in mammals, since producing lactase cosumes energy and most mammals won't come accross lactose after weaning. However, some human populations started raising animals for they milk, and by natural evolution, they basically turned off the turn-off mechanism, and that includes nomadic horse-herders the same it includes nomadic camel-herders, nomadic and sedentary goat- and sheep-herders and sedentary cattle-herders (and perhaps some others I may have missed). There were some peoples later that started raising those same animals for meat, labour, leather or wool, but since they didn't make milk part of their diet, they needn't to evolve that trait.

More recently, raising cattle for milk has become widespread and many dairy-based societies have merged with non-dairy-based ones, which was what brought to attention the existence of lactose intolerance.

As a member of a people of nomads that raise animals for milking, you and your people are most likely lactose tolerant. Or perhaps not, since there are a lot of people that discover their lactose intolerance when they take out dairy products from their diet or switch to lactose-free alternatives and discover that they suddenly don't have heartburns, stomach cramps and/or excessive (which they considered normal) flatulence.

8. Deleted member 193678

Deleted member 193678 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean if they consume milk products now, their traditional diet is irrelevant.

Anyways, every mentions of the topic, there's always someone saying Asians can't drink milk. Because everyone has lactose intolerance in Asia or something. Which is just false. Asians drink milk just fine. Supermarkets and convenience store sell milk. The claim is most likely based on shitty research or just plain old racism. Like Chinese food is bad for you because of MSG. Or perhaps what they call "lactose intolerance" is just not that serious. At least the version that they claim most Asians have.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing but my entire point is that the idea of giving milk to cats isn't homegrown.

10. Dwarkin

Dwarkin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to scientific research, 95% of Mongolians don't have that gene, but, you know, our culture is based on consuming milk and dairy products. We drink milk every single day (mostly with tea, but raw is ok too) and every year there is a month called "White month" (first month of the lunar year, that's currently is going on) when we eat "white food" in especially big quantities, like milk, cottage cheese, butter, sour cream, all kinds of yogurts, etc. It goes for thousands of years and all nation participates, and I never heard about a single person having troubles. And I know what I'm telling about, because we have considerably extended families of hundreds of people, and we met each other during this month. If 95% of us don't have this gene, I'm sure that I would have heard about it at least once, either from my family or friends. So, I believe that it's mostly bullshit, or we have something that helps us digest milk without troubles.

11. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not unique to CN, it's still a very popular myth FROM western culture so i don't know why you specifically call out China.

There are so many children stories and shows that depict cats liking milk , then this content is bought over to China, and it becomes "common knowledge" asking with the rise in eating diary in China

Maybe you don't realize how insulting your post can come across to a Chinese person,

You might as well have posted "Why dont western people know cats can't drink milk?! So dumb and ignorant of them!! Don't they know how to do research??!"
    As this lack of information came from them to begin with.

You could also have done your own research ( as you so wish Chinese authors to have done) to know that COW milk only started becoming popular in China in the early 2000s

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg

go on

13. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not insulting China. I am mentioning it because it has recently been common knowledge to not feed milk to kittens, and that knowledge comes from going to the vet on how to help kittens survive. Vets trained the whole world over should know that milk is not good for kittens, and should be informing these people who are picking up these kittens and cats what diet is appropriate, especially when the author is also saying the characters brought the kitten/cat to the pet hospital for an examination and clean up. Pet food stores should also be strongly aware not to give kittens milk too.

I am calling out this lack of knowledge. In the west everywhere you go people will remind other people not to feed kittens that are picked up any milk to inform people the erroneous belief that kittens and cats drink milk. But these CN novels are still stuck in the past, and don't even have the so-called pet hospitals/veterinarians telling people not what is scientifically correct. I also point out CN novel authors because I so far mostly read CN novels, so I call out the settings in China because the CN novels I read are generally set in China.

Milk has been available in China and the Asian for longer than 200s and in various forms. Furthermore, since CN novels have given me the impression that in China milk solves all nutritional needs, which includes animals that may not be suited for it, such as kittens. However when the author is directly saying the characters went to the pet hospital, why would they come back and still feed milk to a kitten, which at that young age can kill them. This knowledge should be clearly understood when having kittens and pets is all the rage the world over, including China.

14. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a thing called implicit bias. It appears there are many here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.