Seven Seas Censorship and Rewriting

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by demonangelzero, Feb 18, 2021.

1. demonangelzero

demonangelzero [Dandy Greeter] [World Watcher] [Bringer of Peace]

Reading List:
    Link
  2. TheStonedGuest

TheStonedGuest Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh. This is why I only buy the official english translation if I either have no choice or they've proven themselves trustworthy enough. Otherwise I just keep my fan translations and buy the raw ebook to support the author while cutting off the tumor.

3. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp since there are enough complains they will be redoing the said volumes...

EDIT: What about the previous volumes of classroom of the elite?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  4. credulous2skeptic

credulous2skeptic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So according to you which publisher has proven themselves trurstworthy? Just curious.....

5. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jnovel is quite good 80% similiar to fan translation, yenpress translation is heavily localization.

Idk about seven seas I only read restaurant to another world and the translation is quite good.

6. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember the scene where Rudy find out Aisha get pregnant because of Ars. Hah, I bet they won't produce it.

7. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    And Slow since they release digital and print versions on the same day due to silly licensing agreements or something.

Isn't that a web release? if i recall correctly the author deleted it later on.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  8. Aean

Aean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im sure it wont be included in the Japanese LN version so why include it in the localization?

9. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, reddit. blobmelt_thumbs

10. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, a lot of localization in general is trash. It feels like most of it is not actually aimed at the real audience, but some weird, invisible market that nobody can really find because it only exists in the mind of translators and publishers.

Now, I don't need feel any desire to read those sorts of LNs and VNs, but if you aren't reading them for their uh... specific content, you are reading them for the wrong reasons.
    • "Oh gee wizz, I sure wish this LN about a terrible lolicon pervert didn't have perverted lolicon stuff in it!"
    • "Oh gee wizz, I sure wish this VN known for it's lewd art with midrifts and thighs didn't have any lewd art in it!"
    • "Oh gee wizz, I sure wish this anime with a popular waifu know for her kind and caring, but strict side was a meme spouting bitch!"
    If you wanna eat an apple and expect it to taste like pumpkin, well that's on you, friend. I'm pretty sure the fans of often-times obscure Japanese media know exactly what they are getting into, and that's WHY they want it released in English.

There's a big difference between trying to translate something like [Excel Saga?] with it's terrifying amount of Japanese in-jokes and cultural references and re-writing the author's works because you find them distasteful.

[​IMG]
    "Ah yes, much better" - some stupid publisher probably

sirwence and Superioreos like this.