Discussion Isaac sucks balls

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Daresan, Feb 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Isaac, from what a couple dozen or so chapters I've read, was overall interesting, but kind of a mixed bag. The MC is characterized as someone who would willingly exploit others for his own gain. He is characterized as someone extremely smart and very creative in tactics. And there are indeed moments in the story where what he is doing is pretty clever.

Nevertheless, a creation can only be as smart as its creator, so you couldn't exactly write a story of a master tactician unless you were one or if you've done extensive research on strategy and human behaviour. Or if you've experienced or observed a rather ingenious strategy.

In the novel's defense, his tactics are far more unique than the usual. For one, it seems that there was at least some thought put into it. Two, it at least seemed mildly interesting and clever. Take those two aspects and compare it to others, where the author usually does one of the following:
    1. State the MC is a genius, discuss the qualities the MC has that qualifies him to be a "genius," and proceed to elaborate on the results while omitting any details about how he came to said conclusion and how he implemented said strategy.
    2. Write about how the MC applies modern science in a relatively primitive setting, thus making him a genius (more knowledgeable compared to others).
    3. Give the MC a "cheat" that logically supplements his base intelligence. Something like "Learn everything 100x faster." Not exactly a high IQ, but people consider extremely fast learners "geniuses" in some sense.

As for side characters, some of them are meant to be annoying, and others are meant to be intelligent with a weakness. The bear and the elf from what I remember are supposed to be the things dragging the MC down, and while writing them like that way might not be the best way to write a character as you just write them like obstacles, they do just look like obstacles to the MC, to which he attempts to turn them in his favour.

Don't have much to say about the plot since I don't remember it too much. However, it is distinct in that there are underlying powers far above the MC's reach that he's (somewhat) aware of. And that's unique.
    More often than not, novels don't talk about any sort of superpower until the character reaches a comparable level. Or it could be introduced immediately, but because of a "cheat" or "gimmick," the MC rapidly gains the means to neutralize the potential threat. In Isaac, the MC is at rock bottom (relatively), and does not have the means to move so freely. He has to use his own wit to gradually accumulate resources, and only then can he use his resources to grow in power. And sometimes, there are setbacks.
    Like when he lost most his money.

As for whoever stated the MC is an edgelord, maybe, in some sense? However, from what I recall, his main goals don't have anything to do with revenge. More often than not, he keeps a cool head, though some annoyances do get to him. The things he's doing aren't exactly for the sake of being edgy. He's merely written as someone who believes "the ends justify the means," and is a lot more open to less tasteful means.

Lonelycity likes this.
  2. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    beauty in in the eye of the beholder.

3. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, in any kind of review, we better read bad ratings review than the good one. Its because we want to know what kind of deformities or broken things are in a product. This is what ive been doing actually.

4. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that when I read too many negative reviews I just never end up reading anything. There are a lot of novels that have tons of negatives that aren’t necessarily unenjoyable to read. I would take it one step further and make a list of your own personal red flags, and only not read it if those come up.

For example, I absolutely hate reading main characters that are stupid or overly edgy, it just pisses me off to no end. But I can still read and enjoy a novel with a little bit of Chinese nationalism as long as it doesn’t go overboard(kind of astounding how many do go overboard though...). I’m also not looking for published-work level plot so I usually ignore those complaints unless something about it makes me cringe or I can tell it’s the same beaten to death setting (ie: Medieval Europe with a Demon Lord/King).

If you do this you will read some books that you might enjoy even if others do not while avoiding ones that will actually ruin your day. And even if you end up not liking it, you can always drop it. At least this way you aren’t missing out.

Lonelycity likes this.
  5. xyzse

xyzse Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Enjoyed it at the beginning. Last chapter I read was when he was knocked out and it was implied that the girl taking care of him was the one he thought was a bear. I just haven't gotten back to reading it.

6. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh.. this thread is good. But why did others misjudge me by saying that this thread was about me? *humph*:blobupset: