Recommendations Chinese novels like RI

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by vhagar8, Feb 21, 2021.

1. vhagar8

vhagar8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I recently finished my second ever chinese novel (Reverend Insanity) and I really liked the combact sistem, which is pretty different from what I'm used to in japanese novels. Can someone reccommend me something with a similar combact sistem? (I really liked the idea of Gu worms and and the various paths)

As for the MC, Reverend Insanity MC was quite evil, which, again, is something I dont really see a lot in japanese novels and that I enjoyed. Still, if u could recommend me something that also has a villanous MC that'd be a plus, but a "regular" kind-hearted MC is fine as well, what I'm looking for the most is the combact sistem

Devil Heart likes this.
  2. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Despapa69, qpzmal and PeepoMrFool like this.
  3. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm. Never read RI myself. I am reading the new work by same author, Infinite Bloodcore ( only 60 chaps tled so far, new readers beware because it goes at a slow pace).

If the rec for I Shall Seal the Heavens is correct and fits the kind of combat system you seek, World of Cultivation might be fine as well.

Despapa69 likes this.
  5. vhagar8

vhagar8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Release that Witch, I liked it, but it didnt feel that much different from japanese novels tbh, RI kind of feels like the first.
    Thanks, for the recs btw.

6. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad news for you buddy.
    There is no novel like Reverend Insanity.
    Yeah sure, some novels tried to imitate it and either failed miserably or ended up with a half-baked anti-hero MC.
    I know this because I have searched for novels like RI for 3 years already and didn't find anything like it.
    Enjoy, savor it, and hope that the author will resume writing the novel after Infinite Bloodcore.

7. vhagar8

vhagar8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, when u say there's no novel like RI u mean there's no MC like FY or that even the fighting sistem is unique? Cuz, I dont know much about Chinese novels, but my understanding is that cultivation is pretty common trait in Chinese novel (seems like a commonly used tag if u browse this site looking at Chinese novels), are the other cultivation novels that different when it comes to the fighting sistem? Nothing somewhat similar even in this aspect? It doesn't even have to be as good, as long as it's decent, that's be fine.

8. kuro106

kuro106 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same author, way different serie, from speed of story to the MC as well.

9. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone on the forum recommended me Nano Machine
    I tried it and suprisingly it was really good.
    What I found suprising later in this novel first is the plot. The plot is really good. The pace is great. I really like how well done the story start from MC being the bottom of the piramid to the highest.
    MC have a good motivation for chasing strength and this is 2nd thing I found it suprising. At first, MC made revenge as his purpose for gaining strength and then his teacher talked to him, give him advice. Taking the advice well, MC make the revenge only as his motivation for gaining strength, like a goal but not as the sole purpose. Do you understand what I mean? I found this really unique cause I really got bored reading MC's purpose for gaining strength for revenge or MC needs money to save someone who is sick, in coma, have disease something like that. So this is refreshing take on common novel out there. I think i give a lot of spoilers here but it was okay, you have to read the revenge process, it was really a good plot for a revenge. They didn't drag it out. They cut it cleanly. There was also a plot twist in the revenge. It was so good.
    3rd supringly thing in this novel is that after the revenge, i only just found out that MC and other same cultivators as him is consider as practicing with Demon Arts? They were known as evil, ruthless and bloodthirsty cultivators something like that. I didn't know there was another kinds of cultivators out there so I was suprised the scope is much larger than I thought. This is what I really like. I like novels that didn't dump all the info at once instead they show it little by little as MC grow stronger or as MC adventure more in his world.
    The fourth thing I like about this novel is MC's subordinates. I usually don't like MC have friends... Or MC that have a lot of or only a few subordinates cause I found them dragging MC down when MC is chasing his strength to become stronger... BUT! Supringly again lol I like all the subordinates MC have in this novel. I adore them very much. They are like MC's subordinates in Trash of the Count's family if I was to compare. Cause MC have a mix of someone weaker than him, someone on par with him and someone who is stronger than him. Of course at the end, MC is stronger than any other subordinates but I like it they didn't hinder MC at all, it was a plus actually cause they really play a huge role in MC's revenge and MC's path of getting stronger.

I really recommend this. Try it out. I finished this novel in 2 days lol This was really long I can't resist typing all my thoughts. Sorry hahahaah

Ps there was a manga adaptation for this. I read the manga first and then I got curious about the story so I look for the novel. In the end, i finished it until the recent chapters. I really wasn't planning to finish it actually, without me knowing the novel got me hooked

10. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Give Desolate Era a shot, especially if you end up liking I Shall Seal the Heavens or other cultivation novels. Personally, I found I Shall Seal the Heavens to have the most boring power system in a cultivation novel I've read(at least until Chapter 900-1000). It's almost all item based and realm based, I can't remember any actual techniques being used other than the weird Blood one he got like 500 chapters in and the occasional Demon Sealer thing. Power system doesn't get interesting until very late in the novel. I think Desolate Era has a much more interesting power system. Perhaps not quite as good as RI, but it's better than ISSTH.

11. phucanhcr02

Reading List:
    Link
    What I meant is that there is no novel nor MC like Reverend Insanity.
    The power system in RI is extremely unique and was handled very well by the author's writing style.
    The MC is a persistent bastard, an evil one at that. Other novels only have narcissistic MCs with edgelord mentality pretending to be evil.
    As for the so called masterpieces like Desolate Era or ISSTH, they are kind of "meh" after reading Reverend Insanity. The power system is vague as fuck and not as detailed as in RI. Their MCs' journey are quite smooth even though the authors exaggerate the severity of the situation.

12. vhagar8

vhagar8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shit that's disappointing, I thought/hoped RI power system to be somewhat what the standard chinese cultivation power system looked like.
    Idk, gonna give a try to Desolate Era, out of all the novels named on the thread it looks like the closest to what I'm looking for (going off tags and synopsis oc)

Thanks to everybody for the various recommendations.

13. phucanhcr02

Reading List:
    Link
    Be careful for Desolate Era's power scale, where people travel light years of distance in incense sticks of time.
    Have low expectation and you will be fine, don't expect too much to only be disappointed.

14. Dotencsure

Dotencsure Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read Lord of the Mysteries then..it has pretty unique power system
    It has what you are looking for...dont read descolate era non of ypu requirements fits in it

15. vhagar8

vhagar8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehm, I cant tell for sure, as I've not read neither, but based off tags, Desolate Era seem way closer to what I'm looking for (with tags like: Cultivation, Dao Comprehension, Heavenly Tribulation, Immortals, Inheritance) then Lord of the Mysteries (with tags like: Alchemy, Detectives, Firearms, Industrialization)

16. DiXanthos

DiXanthos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have yet to read Reverend Insanity, but for what it's worth, I personally enjoyed a lot A Will Eternal (by the same author of I Shall Seal the Heavens).

It leans more to comedy than the author's other works; had many good laughs with it. In fact, few other works have made laugh as hard as some of its chapters did (particularly once the main character has his first big fight & starts practicing alchemy in earnest, with his insane, ridiculous, unthinkable results. Or when he meets/kidnaps one of his best allies). Of note, the main character also practices a body-reinforcing art that has some mysteries tied to it. But even if not for that, the character's antics more than justify witnessing his journey - in my opinion, at least.

I have almost finished Spirit Realm and I'm devouring Once upon a time, There was a Spirit Sword Mountain, while the number of cultivation manhuas I have perused is too vast.

17. Dotencsure

Dotencsure Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just trust this master...Lord of the Mysteries has one of most unique power system..i did say more unique that RI...descolate era has the same cultivation system as other cn novels..the fact that there are tags for the power system just means that other novels also have this power system

18. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why ISSTH is better for him to read, in my ipinion, is because compared to DE's straight/right path to immortality. ISSTH explored both the good/right and the evil path. He likes RI, which the MC is a villain, a cultivator from the evil path.

While there are indeed novels that dig deeper into this particular area but it's about the fight from two (good vs evil) opposite sides. While MC of ISSTH went from right path to evil path to unique path (Dao). He had a lot of experience from having the cultivation system of both (many) sides. Although I do agree that majority of the time it's item based, Meng Hao is a money grubber, after all. But his characterization wins over it.

DE's power system is indeed more complicated, just like any IEatTomatoes combat system, it branched out like an inverted pyramid. But at the same time, his cheat is so large, his path is practically laid out in front of him. Moreover, I don't know how other see the MC, but for me, he is so flat.

Anyway, they're still under the same genre, Xianxia. So overall, the combat system (Qi cultivation) still have a lot of similarities. Although, the more one progressed the Dao, the more they differ per novel.

Hamski likes this.
  19. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean you aren’t wrong if that’s what he’s looking for, but from what I can glean from his posts he doesn’t care too much about the MC’s polarization/characterization but instead an entertaining power system.

If you meant the specific techniques unique to the path, I suppose DE doesn’t have the MC use any evil techniques which is missing out a bit, but at the same time I think it’s better to have the many, many different paths and techniques presented in DE compared to ISSTH presenting a cumulative total of around 5-10 in the first 1000 chapters with incessant magic bag slapping.

20. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link