Spoiler Suddenly Became A Princess One Day

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Shizun, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Adapting a story is tricky but not impossible.
    My possibilities for this.
    1. She does the retcon, which will upset fans. Retcons also have a tendency to have a minefield of continuity plots so, I guess more people will complain of inconsistencies.
    2. she continues on but the story is still flat
    3. she writes the Jeannette thing, gets it out of her system, and get back to Athy
    4. somebody needs to take over the story from her. I don't know whether this one is possible because of legalities but I am pretty sure that if the season-ending is just another flat and not an interesting cliffhanger, the publisher might pull the plug on this one.

Remedies can include:
    1. access to writer pool
    2. make spoon a writer pool
    3. ghostwriting.
    4. more beta readers and CPs
    I don't know which can apply but one could stick.

I am just speculating but if the Season ending does not deliver, I think Spoon will lose a good chunk of the goodwill of the fans. The worst case is that yeah, eventually, resources will have to plugged out. There are many readers complaining already as far the beginning of Season 3 and as much as I want to say that authors would love to write their way, Spoon is in contract with publisher which she has to deliver sales. If she doesn't at least listen or please the fans, the paying ones will just go find another story to buy, and those who don't pay cant help her.

It's not a good place to be and I don't envy her.

That is general sentiment but of course, you have other people who do not feel the same way.
    I suggest you find other and more stories than WMMAP. You could always get back to it as long as the scanlation group is doing their passion.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    beazacha, myhlmes and biha like this.
  2. Azure_1802

Azure_1802 Procastination Expert

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the newest chapter on the toki site, so everything is going rrrreeeeaaaalllyyyy slow or Spoon (or whoever is behind the scene) doesn't know how to execute the story they made? The whole pretty chapter has 3 main points: - Jeanette went to the palace with her daddy. - Jeanette shocked to see Athy's expression. - Jeannette's daddy was hurt or something by the white uncle...
    Hey, isn't our MC Athanasia?

3. jeneh

jeneh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone have a link or file of the completed novel? :> Im kinda desperate to finish the story :,)

4. Shimozuki Yue

Shimozuki Yue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah Claude is also a tyrant. I'm not saying he isn't. That wasn't even my point.

Look, Claude isn't the crown prince at that time. So how did he get the throne? A revolt! Snatching it! A civil war!

It's not that they didn't do anything about Claude nor am I brushing the point that he is a tyrant himself but it's just that the previous emperor lost and he won so as the winner, he gets to write history. That's common plot writting about political settings, ok? I'm talking about plots not the character morals.

And then there isn't another royal blood that could challenge the inheritance.

But now there is one.

And this someone also isn't just some banished prince that's now returning to claim his rights after his brother was proved incompetent. It was 'that' emperor that lost a political revolt.

This was where I start my point.

He shouldn't be waltzing into the palace as if he was buddy buddy with his brother the last time they saw each other. His existence alone isn't allowed in my political settings knowledge and that's why it's glaring to me the way he just returned to the palace and wanting a place in there. There's no such thing as he 'survived' as it means he escaped from his 'crimes' (you know, dethroned emperor are oftened written as sinners to the royal blood). Him returning is like a slap to the current authority as he was the 'rightful' owner, his matter of life and death decides who is the 'tyrant' or who is the 'theif' and so the emperor's faction should be jumping up to kill this 'traitor'.

I'd say it's both true and not true. The MC are the focal point of the story, if a writter failed to make reader care for the MC, it's already a bad writing. A reader can endure reading an annoying side chara but mostly would drop a story if it's the MC that they dislike. As for side charas, a story that have flesh out side characters is a grade above others but it's true that people would freak out if there's a lot of gray area in the development. Readers are sometime simole minded that they want a clear distinction of white and black that they are distressed with gray side charas developments.

Now I don't think this is necessary and even below the belt. No I actually think this is just plain offending.

Yes there are times that the adaptation were better and improved the story by a mile or two. But this kind of criticism was over the top and underserved, even saying that the novel was a plagiarized mess. Mind you, that was the ORIGINAL SOURCE. IDC if you have preference on media used or just the taste on pace/writting but people should respect the original source. The moment you said the main source was a plagiarized mess, you're also calling all the other adaptations of it as a plagiarized mess. The manwha was a collaboration between the artist and the writter, are you really trying to have them peck at each other? I think this move was the most toxic.

Also, mind you, the whole start of season one was just about athy, you couldn't say that no one cares about her when she's the MC and technically pick up the story when it was still just her development happening. The statement where noone care about her was overreaching.

Edit:..... i'm actually quoting the same user.......

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. Laciesche

Laciesche Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading the discussions of the last pages, I want to confirm something.

Some say Spoon has no right to change the story even though she is the one who made it popular. As far as I know the ratings in Korean sites for the novel were in the toilet? That may have been because of the plagiarizing incident with Daughter of the Emperor, which takes me to the next issue.

I'm not very sure about what went on and I'm only writing what I've read before but maybe Spoon is changing the story precisely because of the plagiarism thing? Even after reading many webtoons with the same "beloved daughter of a powerful guy who gets pampered by every male character" premise, I must say WMMAP is particularly similar. And that's because not only the setting but also a major plot novel is the same, aka the whole
    elder bro of the current emperor actually being alive and a close supporter of the emperor betraying him in favor of the elder bro.
    Then, if those are true then two major points of the story are the exact same as those of DotE (which btw I dropped by the time the spoiled girl threw a tantrum so I only know what happens later on due to secondary sources. SO, if I'm mistaken about something please let me know!!).
    So romance&love interests aside, it seems the main differential point of WMMAP was Jeannette's existence and the whole black magic issue, so I think that maybe Spoon is trying to add more to said differential point so they don't have trouble with plagiarism again.

Plus I think it's really good to have other characters arc? Since we know how the story will mostly develop, why not make it longer while exploring other characters? Having Jeannette be the typical green tea b**ch is boring, I think her character now is much deeper and richer and makes the readers unable to read where it is going, which is a plus for storytelling.
    We will have the happy ending anyway, just a bit later and I see no problem with that. And if Athy can solve the issues instead of being rescued by Lucas then even better since she IS the MC after all.

6. Redvelvetlove

Redvelvetlove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whether spoon makes it longer or not, im kinda sick of this endlessly drama. It was their rights to change the plot nor earned monies from selling the physical book, but they'd made Lucas useless there, rather than the original story.

M30WWWW, enisha, Quimquim_20 and 6 others like this.
  7. myhlmes

myhlmes Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If she had at least a beta readers and CPs to control the writing and making sure that it stays on track and not going haywire she should be fine. It made me wonder if she had one at this point that focus solely on the writing (and making sure that there is no plot hole or continuity errors) or she just have regular editors.

This season will really determine how things will go further for spoon and wmmap. I believe last season was cut short already (it has less chapters than the 1st season) and there was a long period of break (probably to discuss the game plan). However, if this season continues to go downhill, especially with the response, spoon will be in lot of trouble with the publishers

It is indeed to have other character's arc IF the writer already has a good game plan for the MC's arc. The problem right now with spoon's story is that no one knows how it will develop. We know that it will be happy ending but we don't know how she achieve that. I think people won't complain much if last season we get Athy's character development / arc (let her improve her power in some way) and then this season focus on jeannette's character's arc and Claude's brother together with Kathy continue to grow.

but the problem... many readers were already tired seeing jeannette's story because athy didn't get proper growth. it becomes frustrating especially since last season every time we seems to get some explanation or the start of some development for Athy it was cut short and it never brought back again (i.e. the world tree, the black magic, athy's three live and magic)

It is nice that jeannette got her own arc and development but if it meant we don't get athy's arc or development, I don't want it. First and for most, I am here to read Athy's story so ofc i would want to read about her (side character came next that include Lucas)

8. Shimozuki Yue

Shimozuki Yue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This actually depends on the contract? If the original author signed away her/his copyright, or if the contract says the original author need to give a go signal first before any change.

Usually, copyright is sold and unless the oginal writter was put in as a part of the production (advisor, script writer, etc), he/she doesn't get a say on changes.

Also, as a marketing strategy, it's quite normal to change some content while retaining the overall plot. It is because the adaptation have to deliver something new and get impact. As a reader, I know the obsession with being loyal to the original but marketing doesn't works like that, unless they are confident to deliver something that will retain people interest despite already knowing the overall content. There's also the matter of an adaptation being the adaptor take on the plot and how he/she understand it instead. Another factor is fixing plothole, correcting pacing, etc.

That being all said, we don't really know what Spoon overall goal in changes. I feel more like he/she was connecting some loose give away in the novel. (Like athy being all the same athys while the novel give some nice magic settings but insisted that there are parallel worlds). And to give justice to Jeannette's character (While she was used as a character to spike the final confrontation in the story, I don't think she's the villainess, but the novel ended after giving her character a conclusion as if she was the ultimate evil when she's just a tool of it. This made the novel's ending arc disappointing as the real evil behind wasn't dealt with accordingly). But along the way, spoon seems to be trying to fix a lot while neglecting proper development and now ending with his/her own plot hole (the other thing I kept pointing out that's glaring if you have read my previous posts).

Now for the plagiarism part, eeerr, I'm not fully knowledgeable about that as I focus more on stories, their plot and characters, rather than the author (don't get me wrong, they are awesome and deserve fans' attentions but I'm here in fiction to escape reality and don't like people's issues). Anyway, if the plagiarism part end up being real, forget changes, every adaptations would be cancelled.

M30WWWW, ValReads, Khloud2003 and 2 others like this.
  9. hyakuya

hyakuya Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hi everyone! i had a question about the wmmap manhwa. do we know when or in how many chapters claude is going to wake up in the manhwa? or is everything changed since it looks like the manhwa is taking a different route from the novel? i'm sorry if this has already been discussed in this forum and i'm just repeating questions :blob_teary:

10. beazacha

beazacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We have no idea cause the person responsible for the manwha, Spoon, changed so drastically that now the only spoilers we have are chapter raws. In the novel this issue was long done by this time since Lucas is the best at magic.

hyakuya likes this.
  11. beazacha

beazacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's some things people seem to be getting off about the narrative:

- Claude isn't a Tyrant. His brother "died" as a result of attacking him and activating the shield magic and is stated on both novel and manwha time and time again that he does his work wonderfully. Throwing the word tyrant to whatever character did something wrong just doesn't fly since it carries political weight - he did went on a rampant after the dark magic fiasco and slaughtered innocent maids, that's his crime, not being a bad leader.

- Spoon isn't necessarily fleshing out other characters. All her changes where to either cut the development of other characters such as Claude or Lucas, or to put Jeanette in the same level as Athy and from several promotional material you can see this was more or less her intention. Now I'm not gonna enter the merit of she being as good protagonist as Athanasia cause this would never end but imo her issues all came from this wish to have a set of main characters on a narrative where 2/3 of it where made with only one in mind. If she wanted to develop Jeannie circumstances as much as her cousin (wich can bring some interesting foil dynamics if done right) she should have made more substantial changes in the plot earlier on cause now the attempts of development feel forced in on a plot that was set on follow Athanasia's journey of survival as a member of the royal family.

If Lucas was on a particular deplorable state instead of being shown doing all sorts of things he did in the novel, the amnesia wouldn't feel so pointless. We did get some characters focusing on Jeanette's feelings of loneliness and yearning for belong somewhere, but the whole plot foundation crashes with it: she was framed as a cataclysm for the MC's death, she was called a chimera implying she's less than human and therefore making her a second class character on the readers minds and for the longest time she was a plot device for Athanasia rather than a character of her own. We got a whole subarc on Athy getting memories of her mom, why Jeanette isn't showed on a similar situation? Why the death of her aunt, arguable huge for someone so starved for family bond got a chapter and that's it? No flashbacks establishing an existing connection, no wishes to see other family members from her mother's side, no interest outside the "my daddy and sister" narrative... you can't try to push her to be on as much focus as Athanasia after dozens of chapters doing otherwise, this is bad writing and why people are frustrated.

M30WWWW, enisha, myhlmes and 3 others like this.
  12. Guide1410

Guide1410 guide with bad sense of direction

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t think this is something to blame on the authors and the plot holes aren’t even that major, sure there were some changes and some readers are impatient because of the recent angst. it’s not like the story will always turn however the reader wants it to be, but it’s still not something to blame on the authors.
    besides is there a adaptation manhwa that doesn’t have some changes from it’s novel? I think most adaptation manhwa’s have some details and stuff that is changed from the novel. It wouldn’t change the main plot or the ending either way so it’s actually not a bad thing and makes it more interesting. It’d be boring if a manhwa followed everything of it’s novel and just simply animated the story. but in the end, it’s a matter of opinions. some people like it and some don’t :blobpopcorn_cool:
    it’s just sad because there’s some people dissing the author and artist in some other forums.

nehamerchant123 and Laciesche like this.
  13. MLisMyHubby

MLisMyHubby Isekaid Villainess >:)

Reading List:
    Link
    i want to ask who is the person possessing anastacius?

IceQueenRinne1234 likes this.
  14. Lilyworld

Lilyworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first Emperor who Lucas mocked. He's a ghost who possessed anastacius and has a big inferiority complex.

15. Deleted member 300842

Deleted member 300842 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    GUYS READ CHAPTER 93 LUCAS FINALLY OPENS HIS EYES FINALLY :blobparty::blobparty::blob_pompom::blobrofl:

16. Chunin

Chunin Depressed Lemon

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read it! I'm So happy right now! :blob_pompom: hopefully within the next few chapters here be can made Claude open his eyes, I miss him so much

Deleted member 300842 likes this.
  17. Deleted member 300842

Deleted member 300842 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I screamed when i read the chapter i was so happy to see Lucas i am so happy,yes hopefully daddy Claude will wake up so we could have more father daughter moments.:blobsmilehappyeyes::blob_pompom::blobhighfive:

IceQueenRinne1234, hedya12 and Chunin like this.
  18. etonyan

etonyan New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am quite new to wmmap and i have a few questions;
    Firstly can someone explain since when the manhwa is not following the novel's story? When did Spoon say that she was going to write the story herself?
    Secondly is there any place i can learn the original story from like by reading the novel because i really want to learn what happens at the end and what are the differences between the novel and the manhwa?
    I actually started this manhwa bc of its story and later on realized that the art style is so good looking and if there really is a big difference between novel and manhwa i would like to continue with the novel. Do you guys assume the ending or the upcoming events will change a lot bc of Spoon's writing?
    Thanks in advance!!

19. Guide1410

Guide1410 guide with bad sense of direction

Reading List:
    Link
    firstly, I don’t know anything about the artist writing the story, but it’s a bit exaggerated that the artist changed the story, there was just some small changes, like any other adaptation manhwa.
    second here you can read the novel and it was also translated in wattpad and some other places if you just search for it
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/suddenly-became-a-princess-one-day/

nehamerchant123 and Athy1000 like this.
  20. etonyan

etonyan New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then the story hasn't changed much, I don't get why people exaggerate it so much. Thanks for explanation and the link.

Furiae19, Laciesche and Guide1410 like this.