Recommendations Is there any Quality jap novels left in this site?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Daresan, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been reading lots of CN and KR that i havent read japanese novels for like past 4 years. Last japanese novel i read was Overlord and god it was really awesome.

I dont know when i see japanese recommendation, instinctively i feel like its going to be ridduled with cliches. There long silly names especially do not do any favours.

Some novels which people recommended heavily and i tried reading them like mushoku tensai, Rokuin no monshou, Sevens etc but really i didnt enjoy them at all. I cannot understand people who think these novel are the best. Is it because of hype? Is it because of nostalgia? I dont know.

Do you have any japanese recommendation on the level of Overlord? Or any decent novel ?
    Please do not recommend something like skeleton bla bla, or utsurako bla bla zero no maria ( its concept i have seen in re zero and it has a lot of cliches)

Some people say ratings are rated by trolls and it doesnt matter but look at Lord of Mysteries why does it have so high rating everywhere? While i certainly agree rating is not everything but it has got to be something when it is rated at the top in every ranking website you go.( Especially saying to someone,wont callout though)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm what do you say about this review? Is it legit or does any justice to novel? Or should i read myself to find out? As you can see from my op i have horrible distate for japanese cliches.

"All of this is a trick and a lie. The "adult" charcter starts acting like an edge lord and apparently he is actually 16 and not 25 or older, which made me cringe so much I pulled a muscle, since he treated the 15 year old feamle war veteran that fell in love with him as too young and immature.

Of course every single female in the series falls in love with the MC immediately. At the same time, he is a basically a human slug. I just don't understand this trope in Japanese entertainment. Why ? If you don't want romance, just don't do it. Why this inane trope Japan, why ?

The story goes nowhere that actually makes sense, logically or emotionally. Charcters die tragically multiple times. How can a charcter die tragically multiple times you ask ? You kill it in one volume "off screen". Resurrect it temporarily and have it sacrifice itself again. And then you do it again. You think this cheapens the whole thing? Naaahhh.

The plot twists are increasingly ridiculous. The last volume felt like a particulalrly bad and condensed season of 24. We had amnesia, monster transformations, multiple suicidal terriorist organizations, a corrupt military organization and the most dumb and morally bankrupt "self-sacrifice" I ever saw. All of this and much more in about 250 pages. Really struggled to finish it"

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  4. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uhh so you actually read reviews before reading some number of chapters???
    Just read some early chapters to see if it gets your interest, if not there's plenty of other novels for you to read.

5. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry i have bad habbit of looking at reviews. They do shed some light into the novel whether the novel is really worthy to read or not.

Other reviews about the novel are good so i might as well give it a try, just dont want to get disappointed.

6. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god i agree so hard with your statement, everytime i search for a decent novel i instinctively avoid japanese novels even when i see a 4.5 or 4.7, they always dissapoint me so hard. when i look for novels i usually look for chinese/koreans the chinese novels if they are over 4.0 they are usually a garaunteed masterpiece, koreans are bit more overhyped tho 4.0+ doesn't garauntee good but japanese even if they are 4.7 they still bland and annoying.

LollipoPReapeR and Daresan like this.
  7. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s looks pretty cliche anyways.

8. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    I Become a Rogue Lord in a World Where Only I Level Up

Its JP WN that somewhat feel KR-ish

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  9. Fp401

Fp401 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll try
    Tensei shitara
    Kumo desu ga
    Arifureta
    No Game No Life
    The Lazy King
    There are others but they don't come close at all. Its really hard to find anything decent and if they just rush their novels we will get another isekai smartphone. Just wait it out.

10. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup read all, wouldnt call them good though tensai shitera is a bit wierd and i dont know happy go lucky type.

Kuma desu ga was really good at the beggining but it went shit after a while

Arifureta umm less forget about it what can be more cliche than this.

No Game No Life is fun but childish and wierd

The lazy kings is just too lazy. It was good but became meh later

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  11. CoinDecency

CoinDecency Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Liero Dirlewanger

Liero Dirlewanger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate JP and KR novels, but i do remember finding Ouroboros Circle pretty ok, albeit very edgy and kind of beta
    The novels from the author of The Girl Who Ate a Death God are decently good, better than Ouroboros Circle. They are about serving in the army of an incompetent country and corrupt country to fight a much more competent enemy. The protagonists are warrior-commanders (although low level commanders), who are always very heroic and competent, but it has the grim theme of heading straight towards defeat. I must say it has a nice style and is unique, although after reading one of the novels by the author you've kind of read all of them.

13. CoinDecency

CoinDecency Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A few more:
    Isekaijin no Tebikisho
    My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending
    Expecting to Fall into Ruin, I Aim to Become a Blacksmith
    Jujutsushi Wa Yuusha Ni Narenai
    The Man Who Would Be King

And there's more I don't remember