Kind of a rant also about uploading maps(Images)

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Praepositus, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Praepositus

Praepositus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I keep get sidetracked with backstories, any tip on how to avoid that?

Also does anyone know of a good site to upload maps to?

I kind of got started on making a gameworld with Inkarnate, which lead me to start writing a little fiction about characters in that world. Trying to get a serious start to it, but I keep getting sidetracked with stuff, while kind of necessary, doesn't belong in the prelude of the story. Any tips on disciplinary measures to avoid that?

As for the maps, it would kind of add a nice touch to it, at least that's my opinion. Although they are amatuerish, I'm kind of happy with them as such.

OhNoItsRory likes this.
  2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For map site, it really depends on what you want to use it for.

Do you only want to post the map somewhere and add it's backstory in description? A forum or site like deviantart might be better.
    Or
    Do you want to be able to add several notes to the image, adding sketch and relevant plotlines to it?

It might sounds weird, but I really like using microsoft onenote for it.

Make a rough draft and then work on the detail, not the opposite. It's very easy to get lost in details like backstory, but you will ended up with one part that's way too detailed and several part that's lacking details.

Praepositus likes this.
  3. Praepositus

Reading List:
    Link
    It's primarily as a visual aid for future readers, so then can see layout without having to go into detail explaing how the lands look and where different places are located and so on. I'll take a look at Deviantart then. Thanks for the advice.

4. OhNoItsRory

OhNoItsRory New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is an app on iphone that is very basic, but it will generate a few types of maps. It doesn't have a lot of variety. It is however called Cartographer. I'll also add that there should be plenty of resources for RPG Map Builders (something i'll look into for my own book and add here).

5. Praepositus

Reading List:
    Link
    The maps are basically done already, they were the inspiration to begin with. Deviant art seems a good place to upload to as well. Again, thanks for that advise Shio. :blobfistbumpL::blobfistbumpR: