Which Dragon Quest to play?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ai chan, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan wants to make it short. Ai-chan has only played Dragon Quest 3 or 4 maybe, but now there's Dragon Quest 11 even. Ai-chan wants to play the modern dragon quest games, but doesn't know which one of those would be good. Which of the modern dragon quest would you suggest? Why do you think those are good?

Ai-chan isn't sure if this feature exists in modern dragon quest, but if there is crafting system, please inform Ai-chan of them and which version has that system. Thanks in futuristic credits.

2. Jsansor

Jsansor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I say play dragon quest V: hand of the heavenly bride,

I say this game because you get to see your character grow and go through hardship

Sadly no crafting mechanics, pretty old game (DS era)

P.S. Nera is best girl!!! MAGIC FOR LIFE!!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Ai chan likes this.
  3. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon Quest VIII. It has crafting in it.

4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe DQ 1 to 8 is on android

Ai chan likes this.
  5. Amplify

Amplify Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a long time player of the series, V and VIII are the ones I'd recommend the most.

Ai chan and Cutter Masterson like this.
  6. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to play in short bursts, Dragon Quest IX is pretty nice too and a little more "modern" than most of those recommended here until now.
    The story is quite simple and the main character is a little bland (as you create your character as you like) but there is way more freedom in this game than the usual on rail approach of the other DQ games, I felt I had to mention it as it is a really nice and light play experience, but of course DQ V is one of the "must play" of the serie, a really good and solid classic, with a great sense of growth and progression for both the story and most of the characters.
    It's certainly not a modern one but it introduced a lot of mecanics that became a classic of the serie later on (like class and monster stuff) and the scenario and characters are really great so it would be a waste to never play this one.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Ai chan likes this.
  7. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon quest XI S because there are no random mob encounters and it is new and shiny.

Ai chan and Jsansor like this.
  8. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I only played 8 so I'll give it 8/10.

9. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend DQ 8. There’s a lot to recommend in this game. Crafting is pretty interesting. The artwork is way better than the previous ones. And retro compared to future ones. So future or pass this still has a place in my heart. The fighting style is my favorite compared to all the DQ. You have more control on how you attack and who you attack. A nice bonus is you have monster teams you could use. For instance if you find all three golems and tame them. Than put them on a team. They sometimes combine to create an ultimate monster. The transportation in this game is interesting. You ride animals or other transports. Lastly the story of the game is one of the best I found.

Good luck on your search

10. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

I also recommend Dragon Quest 8. Try it out to see if you like it!