Question The Eminence in Shadow - What means "sentence"?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Slimino, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I'm reading The Eminence in Shadow light novel, but I don't understand something.

I want to ask for help on this.

Like, what does "Delta, you could learn a thing or two from her, I think, engaging in a fake conversation with a certain hybrid beast—one whose swordsmanship I find hard to forgive." mean?

Who's this hybrid beast?

Next, are Shadowbrokers a hacker group (that's what you're referring to)?

Thank you!

2. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember the exact context, but i think here he was saying that good sword fights are like conversations, you speak with your body language. But Delta (one of the girls he rescued from demonization and trained) is an idiot who only fights like a beast (fitting for a dog-girl. This is where the hybrid probably comes from) and who can't "converse" with her sword. In fact her way of fighting is so stupid that it pisses off the mc but he can't teach her to be smarter.

As for the shadowbrokers, i have no memory of them, but they are either the subordinates of the Shadow group that specialize in information gathering, or something else

Havisu likes this.
  3. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your response!

Here's a portion of the text.

She possesses magic and forthright techniques, but she’s inferior to her sister. That’s what people generally say when talking about Alexia.
    But as I spar with her, I think she’s good. She adheres to the basics and grasps the foundations of combat, though it feels uninspired.
    Yeah, it’s run-of-the-mill. But that’s the fruit of her labor: Her swordplay is polished, refined, and devoid of all excess. That’s the proof that she’s mastered the basics step-by-step.
    Delta, you could learn a thing or two from her, I think, engaging in a fake conversation with a certain hybrid beast—one whose swordsmanship I find hard to forgive.

At the beginning of the light novel it says this "I honestly can’t remember what catalyzed this desire. All I know is I’ve admired shadowbrokers for as long as I can remember."

One more thing.

"The group makes its way to the carriage, boarding the loading deck. Following the shrill sounds of a chain snapping, the girls emerge from the wagon with a dark mound of rotting flesh.
    It’s still breathing.
    “Return to Lady Alpha—fast.”
    They haul the mound, carrying it tenderly, and start to pick up speed, followed by the member of their order previously nestled in Beta’s bosom.

Instead, this one in bold?

4. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's this shadowbrokers you speak of? I don't remember ever reading that term. Maybe it's because I only read the translated Webnovel version and the Manga.

Is that the official English Light Novel translation term for power in the shadow? They termed it "Shadowbrokers"? Personally I don't really like this term. Doesn't really fit. But if that's how yen press decide to translate it then oh well...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  5. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'm reading the official English light novel and many things I can't understand.

6. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure your reading the same thing im reading? i just today started rereading the novel thats on NU and they never use the term shadow brokers. in the same place they used the term "Power in the shadows", meaning those secret organisations that work in secret and are actually really powerful.
    also in the context given, he is simply saying that he is speaking to delta in his head while looking at Alexias swordplay, its a fake conversation because he is only imagining the conversation with Delta.
    as for the new question, I cant be sure, but it is either that the mound of flesh(demonic possessed person) being carried in Beta's embrace, or someone else who was previously being carried

7. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, we're not reading the same thing.

I'm reading the official English light novel.

Anyway, thanks for the answer to the first question, I get it.

Regarding the second question, your reasoning might work.

8. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, in volume 2 of the light novel I can't understand the sentence in red.

What does it mean?

Why do you use "read:"?

“But it’s said that, after receiving the goddess’s power, the heroes of legend were granted wealth and renown from the people and went on to marry princesses of major kingdoms. So though the path may be harsh and trying, I believe a happy future is waiting at its end.”

Is this what they preach in the Holy Teachings or something? Bringing up the outliers of society—read: heroes—to push their agenda sounds super-churchy.

9. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That basically means to read between the lines. In this case, you can think of it as "AKA", also known as. You can also think of it like this:
    Bringing up the outliers of society heroes to push their agenda sounds super-churchy.

Slimino likes this.
  10. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get it, thanks for your answer.

So I could also say this:

Bringing up the outliers of society, in this case heroes, to push their agenda sounds super-churchy.

Is this right?

11. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks ever so much!

12. Slimino

Slimino Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I can't understand some concepts in the English light novel.
    What do you mean by "Look who’s cooperative."? In the web novel it says "It sounds wonderful", it makes sense.

And "Until then."? In the web novel it says "So then, see you tonight.", it makes sense here too.

Thank you!

13. mirandalovesme

mirandalovesme Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you could try reading the fan translation instead of the official one.