Discussion Characters you hate but others love?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by animefan217, Mar 4, 2021.

1. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    female characters who treat the mc like shit for no reason but never called on it, never get punished, but simply change

qpzmal and Emissary Nouvelle like this.
  2. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They do it to push plot along but it doesn't make it any less aggravating, tbh a harem without a dense protagonist is guaranteed to be a hentai.

Yessss Nami and Erza

Now now, while they are rare I'm sure you you shouldn't be generalizing. I usually don't read novels with female mcs or Yuri but I'd imagine there are some good female characters in those

Gon
    Gon is an idiot yes, but don't you dare hate on my beloved resident psycho clown hisoka

Mhm, as long as they are not a love interest I tolerate them

Hansung Yu, Rachel from TOG. Karaka to a LESSER extent but I could live with him. Hansung Yu is not redeemable to me. I just hate him especially even after reading TOG several times.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2021
    qpzmal likes this.
  3. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats a good point but it doesnt make it any less annoying to read. That also just falls under my general dislike of harems in stories since most of the harem seems to congeal into on personality with poor writing.
    On topic another type of character i hate is the unfocused but good at everything mc. Ive seen it where they may be good at alchemy then forging then talisman making for an arc just to forget it until its convenient with the skill playing no real part in the story outside of one arc.

qpzmal likes this.
  4. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea

qpzmal likes this.
  5. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if you have to ask me the reason, it seems obvious you wouldn't agree with me. I don't mind telling you, but please don't start a riot because I dislike it. I think the main reason you've not talked to someone who dislikes the show, is because those people get shouted at by fans a lot. It just isn't worth it.

HxH has an extremely, EXTREMELY, vocal community who are often not open to criticism of the show or its characters. As fans should be; but I think it might leave a lot of people with the impression that HxH is somehow flawless, a point far more people disagree on that they seem to think.

Putting the rest in a spoiler.

So, first off, I have not watched the entire show. I slogged through 86 episodes with my friend, who rates it in his top 3 of all time, before I called it quits. I had had extremely limited enjoyment of it so far, and I hadn't really been able to see what it is about it that so many people like.

I watched 86 episodes of a show I did not like, because I thought there had to be something there that I was not seeing. I left with the impression its fans must watch a different show from what I was.

I am aware that I left in what many consider to be where things actually get good, and I am aware I left before many of the events people defend the show with happen.

But a show that takes 90+ episodes to get good, if it actually does, is not a good show.

I suppose my main problem with the entire show comes down to my former post: almost the entire cast is bland and unlikeable. I found Gon profoundly awful as a character. He goes through no personal change whatsoever, and though that can be fine if a character has depth you can explore, he doesn't have that either. He improves in strength, but does not grow as a person; in an MC, I consider that a fatal flaw. His fundamental personality is selfish, in a bad way. If I were to contrast him with a character, the obvious comparison is Luffy from One Piece. But whereas I found Luffy extremely admirable, I found Gon rather revolting in many aspects, and unlikeable in others.

He's a childish child. I've heard the argument that his personality "makes sense" because he is, in fact, a child, but while I can understand the thinking, I think the logic is faulty. Children are not all the same; there are hateful kids as well as lovely ones. What few parts of Gon that stood out to me, I did not like, and nothing else was notable to me.

I didn't hate Killua, but I didn't love him either. His devotion and loyalty to Gon is only an interesting trait if Gon himself is interesting. Killua's past has sadness, but it is not conveyed well by the anime. The little arc in his family home was dull to me as well.

The part I dislike the most about HxH, the part I really hate, is that so many of the characters have such potential to be great. But it all just runs out in the sand because of shitty storytelling. Killua's emotional journey from bored self-hatred to complete trust follows a classic route. It's a complete personal revolution.

But what do we get to see of that, really? What do we get to hear about it? They were displayed extremely poorly in the anime. And that's my problem with it. The things the show wants to convey, it does, but it conveys them poorly. It has good things to say, but lacks the ability to speak coherently. It was 86 episodes of pure frustrated anticipation for me.

The script has problems, the visual storytelling has problems, the characters have problems. There's no end to the issues I have with this show, and if I were to write them all out I'd have to sit here for a week.

I loved the ability system from the start. "Nen" took up most of whatever positive things I had to say about the anime to the friend I was watching it with, but that too was hampered by the rest of the show.

I did not actually hate the entire cast of the show; but I did dislike or find uninteresting nearly every single one of the characters with the most screentime. They're poorly written, their scenes are poorly written, and the pacing of the show is awful.

I've spent like 15 minutes on this now, so I'll cut it short here. If you love the show, that's great. But I just couldn't force myself to like it.

I do not count Hisoka as part of the cast

he's too good for that show.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2021
  6. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate beta mcs, the ones who get bullied and tormented yet turn around and save/forgive their tormentors and then become friends or acknowledge them as family again. Also the ones who girls chase and their reaction is to run. For crying out loud if you don't like them say so a.d stop dragging the poor girls along with your shitty personality. I hate every aspect of what makes a beta mc beta. They could be among the strongest yet It is OTHER people who dictate WHAT THEY DO. ALL beta mcs are indirect SLAVES of almost every character they meet

skillet and qpzmal like this.
  7. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    So many tsunderes go that way many times its the mc that has to prove himself not other way around if the female has to change let it be after she gets called out and male hit back

qpzmal likes this.
  8. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Male tsunderes are more tolerable

qpzmal likes this.
  9. Nagisa11

Nagisa11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I won’t. Reading that spoiler, I could have written an written eassy debunking all of your conclusions but I won’t art is subjective and you could never get into the series and that is okey and understandable and I have no right telling you how to feel. We are entitled to our opinions.

I still follow hxh manga and my views may differ from yours, but I believe that loving a series means that being able to spot its flows as well. I’ve actually rewatched the anime and read the manga from chapter 1, and Gon is actually quite a disturbing child, those characters he puts into the friend box, are allies and he protects, those who wrong him he hates and puts them into the enemy box, those who aren’t worth his time, he’s indifferent to them and instantly classifies them as irrelevant as long as they don’t borther him. He’s naive, hypocritical and downright selfish at times, if he wasn’t the protagonist than from an observer viewpoint he could be considered a villain. They were many times in the series where he couldn’t understand the friendship between the characters he considered enemies because to him he had already classified them as evil. He’s certainly not a normal child.

but yeah, I think your opinion were fascinating, I disagree with all your notes and conclusions but let’s agree to disagree.

qpzmal likes this.
  10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I have to name them:
    Asta (BC was fun early on to read & watch, but I found his enthusiasm in between chapters to be really annoying after a while)
    Sakura (esp on early Naruto eps, trying to look cute & all, but actually a b*tch inside WTF)
    Shinji (my reaction after watching The End of Evangelion, "WTFF ARE YOU THINKING SH*T-HEAD SHINJI!!!")

Else:
    MCs of super harem (I'm quite fine w/ harem themed story, but double digits members & up? :blobconfused::blobconfused::blobconfused:)
    Narcissist MCs (I'm still fine w/ those like Mikoshiba (Gekkan Shoujo) and/or Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), but not when they reach Sakamoto-like lv)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    qpzmal and SueVal like this.
  11. skillet

skillet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk if this counts but when I was watching School Rumble (on youtube or sth lol) everyone hated karasuma (?!? the main ml but might not be his name) and loved harima but I HATED Harima so much and loved karasuma lolol

+ Tsurezure Children the school prez was really not my thing-- I skipped over every episode/chapter of that couple because I really disliked the way he did stuff ._. couldn't understand why everyone loved him :)

12. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    L of death note
    Norman of promised Neverland
    Monkey d Luffy of one piece
    Sasuke of Naruto
    Eren Yeager of AOT
    Emilia of Re:zero

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  13. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, and I hate it
    It is out of no where and isn't cute at all

animefan217 likes this.
  14. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A character who ditch everything for love interest, yes I'm talking about female mc who in love with ML and ditch her loving family for unworthy guy.

Overbearing ML who disregard human life, and someone privacy. But yes for overbearing sugar daddy lol "buy everything from this to that".

A couple that makes disaster of everyone in the name of love, yes I'm talking about unfortunate people who end up sacrificed for their so called true love.

Character who liking X character because of their body, or character suit their taste, especially the pervert one. I don't mind pervert like have hair fetish or hand fetish, appreciate beauty, but harassing someone and targeting them because someone suit their taste is horrible.

15. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Altair from re creators
    And the guy falls in love with her anyway

16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    L from Death Note has a lot of fans, but personally I feel the whole story went downhill with his introduction.
    He is supposed to be a genius detective, but in his introduction he for some reason he bet everything on a completely ridiculous theory of there being some kind of magical ability to kill people, with absolutely no evidence for it and that happened to be correct simply out of luck.
    Just made even worse that the same scene has Light acting as an idiot by proving L correct.
    I still enjoyed the story for the most part, but that godawful scene is the prime example why I can't call it a "good" story.

17. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually it is beta mc sigh

18. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much it's the bitchy abusive tsundere that beats him up at the drop of a hat that falls in love with her and she's never called out for her behavior nor mc fights back we need more mc punching them back and calling them out

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021