Question Is Tom Clancy a brand name?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Concernedcitizen, Mar 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just watched a trailer of an new movie(or series maybe) of Tom Clancy's Without Remorse and I thought "hey, isn't this the guy that made The Division game?".

I did a little research and the game The Division is actually from a book. I also found out that it isn't Tom Clancy who author it, but Alex Irvine. He has other books under his name but why is that the The Division is under Tom's name? I cant find answers from google about it.

Thank you for satiating my curiosity.

2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Splintercell series are also based on Tom Clancy's books. Also Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.

But yea, you're right. He didn't write The Division. He sold his brand to Ubisoft so now they can use it as they see fit. I know. They're scum.

asriu, Reack, 0000000 and 3 others like this.
  3. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an ubisoft branding. Original game was based on tom clancy games. The branding stuck around just to link the other games in.

Concernedcitizen likes this.
  4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    yes and no. In this reference, Ubisoft holds to rights to use Tom Clancy's name for video games... though most of them post 2004, except for Rainbow Six series which is based on the novel and Ghost Recon series, had unclear or questionable input from the man himself.
    So, yes, it is a brand when it comes to games and connected things. That's semi-separate from Tom Clancy, the man himself, who authored a ton of novels before his death in 2013 and whose outlines are still being used to write more novels by contracted writers.

5. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nownow hold on. Ubisoft is a great noble development company and never set up preorders for half finished games, or tried to make people use a pretty much virus client for their games, and definitely never exploited paid DLC or other crap to squeeze gamers out like a dry sponge.

How dare you slander them.

Gitami, Gin_Hindew, Reack and 2 others like this.
  6. kittycatclawz

kittycatclawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, basically brand. He branded a lot of works under his name that fit with his story style.

7. Concernedcitizen

Reading List:
    Link
    As usual. Capitalism at its finest. What about the book The Division? It was written by Alex before it became a game. Is this a way for authors to increase their popularity by attaching someone else's name on it?

8. kittycatclawz

kittycatclawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bingo, also helps the big authors. James Patterson can pump out so many books be cause he has other authors help him write most of them and takes coauthor slot lol

9. Concernedcitizen

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw some reddit post that the book The Division is based from the game itself. As I understand, since the book is base from the game, the brand Tom Clancy cant be remove. That maybe the reason why the book still has its brand.

Sabruness likes this.
  10. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not exactly...

AIUI, while some of the early "Tom Clancy's <Series>" stuff (like "Tom Clancy's Net Force" IIRC) was series where provdided an original concept & the "co-author" did the heavy lifting, after his mid-90s divorce, he had a lot less say into what his name got stuck on, as the courts ruled that his ex-wife was entitled to 50% of any potential income from the use of his name commercially, meaning that if he wanted to decline a deal, he had to have sufficient reason, or her approval.

11. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Love how balanced modern divorce trials are. She gets half of everything EVEN YOUR FUCKING NAME. 'wait what? Your honor I can't see how my name is a product of our marriage in any way', SHE GETS IT *slams gavel through table*

Shhhh justice.

Concernedcitizen and asriu like this.
  12. KurouDaijuji

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the argument was he wouldn't have been able to build his career as an author without his early support.

Plus by that time there had already been a few projects with "Tom Clancy's" on, where his main contribution was to agree to the use of his name (the early one's were probably also his pitches, but I suspect that even projects like "Tom Clancy's Armored Cavalry Regiment", which didn't [IIRC] acknowledge a co-author, may have actually used a ghost writer, & it's not a huge step to arguing it's a "Hosue Name" for his business empire [especially if he took "smart" tax reduction route of forming a company to hold all his IP rights to what he'd "written", thus effective surrendering his name to it too]).

13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean yeah cool, so give her a portion of what he earned over the years relative to approximately how much she enabled it at max. Why in the hell does she get half ownership of the man's name for the rest of his life?

14. KurouDaijuji

Reading List:
    Link
    1. California.
    2. Not so much "the rest of his life" (he died in 2013), but the rest of hers, or possibly as long as it has commercial value (i.e. her heirs might inherit the rights to royalties).

15. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BTW Without Remorse (the novel) is a good read. It's a revenge thriller. Pretty different though than the film by the looks of the trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.