What are you a nerd for?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Silver Snake, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a look as well between Seelie and Unseelie court.
    Seelie court were seemingly nice and fair, while they hide their cruelty and mischievousness with riddles and play. In Unseelie, they did not pretend with such trivialism for cruelty and mischief is who they are if they wanted to.

Fulminata and qpzmal like this.
  2. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    qpzmal likes this.
  3. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will keep it simple: Fox movie history.

Various Fox-related firsts/lasts: Whether or not the original theatrical versions of these listed 1930s movies are still copyrighted in the U.S. or public domain is hard to say. Also, I have supplied YT links to some of the films.
    -First TCP-produced movie: "The Bowery" (released on 10/7/1933): youtube.com/watch?v=poKxc5GsC4w.
    -Last TCP-produced movie released prior to 20CF being formed: "Cardinal Richelieu" (released on 4/28/1935)(film). While the video does have the original Eng. language version, there are times after a line is spoken in Eng. that a narrator speaks the equivalent line in Russian. youtube.com/watch?v=N2zqKcHqnOA.
    -First TCP-produced movie released after 20CF was formed: "Call of the Wild" (released on 8/9/1935): youtube.com/watch?v=NblnOrNBQjc.
    -Last TCP-produced film overall: "A Message to Garcia" (released on 4/10/1936): youtube.com/watch?v=a5HuyOsHcIU&t=8s.
    -First Box Office Attractions-produced movie: "Life's Shop Window" (released on 11/19/1914).
    -First Box Office Attractions-distributed movie: There are 2. First, we have the now-lost "Shadows of the Moulin Rouge", which Solax Studios produced. Its limited release was on 12/26/1913 whereas the full-release was on 2/25/1914. So, this is the movie that really started the Fox movie empire.

The other was "Gertie the Dinosaur". With Gertie, the Wikipedia page "List of Fox Film films" lists Gertie as premiering on 2/28/1914. However, that would be for the vaudeville version. The more familiar live-action/animated movie version was released on 12/28/1914. Thus, this somewhat of a special-edition of Gertie, so to speak, is a Fox movie, the original version of Gertie isn't.

-Final Box Office Attractions movie under that label: "Children of the Ghetto" (released on 2/8/1915). However, the last BOF film listed on the Wikipedia page "List of Fox Film films" that has its own Wikipedia page is "A Fool There Was" (released on 1/14/1915).

-First Fox Film-produced movie under the Fox Film Corp name: "The Celebrated Scandal" (released on 2/11/1915; now lost).
    -First Fox Film-distributed movie under the Fox Film Corp name: "The Celebrated Scandal".
    -Last Fox Film-produced movie released prior to 20CF being formed: "The Daring Young Man" (released on 5/24/1935). Now if this category includes Fox movie being released on the same day as the 20CF formation, then that would be "Under the Pampas Moon" (released on 5/31/1935): youtube.com/watch?v=1HhnBK2f6Ts&t=25s.

-Note thate between 5/31/1935-11/29/1935, 28 FFC-produced movies got released. Thus, there were several that were produced and distributed by FFC and some that were FFC-produced but 20CF-distributed.

-First Fox Film-produced movie released after 20CF was formed: "Doubting Thomas" (released on 6/7/1935).
    -Final Fox Film-produced movie released after 20CF was formed: "Navy Wife" (released on 11/29/1935)
    -Final Fox movie produced by William Fox: "The Big Trail" (released on 11/1/1930).
    -First Fox partial-talkie: "Mother Knows Best" (released on 9/16/1928).
    -First Fox all-talkie: "In Old Arizona" (released on 1/20/1929): youtube.com/watch?v=MdQIw7BiUBA.
    a. Note while it is Eng., there are added-yellow Spanish subtitles in the film that you cannot turn off.
    -Final silent movie for the Fox movie empire: "On the Level" (released on 5/18/1930). However, this also had an all-talkie version.
    -First Fox all-talkie that marked that would mean all subsequent Fox movie releases would be all-talkies only: "Not Damaged" (released on 5/25/1930).

-First movie produced by 20CF: Two candidates: First, we have "Metropolitan" (released on 11/8/1935). Both Wikipedia pages of "Metropolitan (1935 film)" and "List of 20th Century Fox films (1935–1999)" list this movie as being that: youtube.com/watch?v=ycS4o9jHq-k. However, the first movie that was both produced/distributed by 20CF was "Your Uncle Dudley" (released on 12/13/1935).
    -Final Fox movie to be released before William Fox relinquished control of his company on 4/7/1930 at a shareholder's meeting that, for all practical purposes, ended his movie career: The candidates are , "Crazy That Way", and "High Society Blues".
    a. The Wikipedia page of "List of Fox Film films" lists these 3 1930 film with the following release dates: "High Society Blues" on 3/23, "Crazy That Way" on 3/30, and "The Three Sisters" on 4/6. However, the respective Wikipedia pages for these movies lists release dates of 3/20, 3/23, and 4/20.
    1. Even if those count limited release dates, it is still confusing. I find it easier when a Wikipedia page for a movie lists something like: "date [limited release or premiere in a specifc city]" followed "date [wide release or general release]".
    2. Not sure about HSB but the other 2, of which all-talkie and silent versions were made for both, are deemed lost films.

-First Fox movie released after William Fox relinquished control: "Temple Tower" (released on 4/6/1930) if "The Three Sisters" was actually released in late 4/1930. Some copies of "Temple Tower" exists at the UCLA Archives.
    -Final 20CF movie to be released before William Fox's death (5/8/1952): There are actually 2. They are "Belles on Their Toes" and "The Pride of St. Louis" (both released on 5/2/1952).
    -First 20CF movie to be released after William Fox's death: There are actually 2. They are "The Outcasts of Poker Flat" and "Kangaroo" (both released on 5/16/1952).

-First Fox movie(s) released on VHS? primermagazine.com/2009/field-manual/know-it-all-the-first-movie-commercially-released-on-vhs says that it was 20CF and a video/audio firm called Magnetic Video that essentially birthed the American home video market. The first 3 American movies on VHS were "M*A*S*H", "Patton", and "The Sound of Music".

-Last Fox movie released on VHS? Not sure which one it was but 1 of them was the Dec. 2005 VHS release of that live-action "Fantastic Four" movie.

-First Fox film on DVD? First Fox film that I know of with a specified release date was the 6/2/1998 release of "Alien: Resurrection". Compare this to the following: Wikipedia's "Anastasia (1997 Film" pages says that "On April 28, 1998 and January 1, 1999, Anastasia was released on VHS, LaserDisc and DVD and sold eight million units.[31]". However, I don't know the exact date since it mentions 2 dates.

-Final 20CF films to be released before Rupert Murdoch became head of the Fox empire: There are two (arguably). First, we have "Joshua Then and Now", a Fox-distributed Canadian film and TV mini-series that was produced by RSL Entertainment Corp. Second is "Plenty", which RKO Pictures Inc co-produced with Pressmen Productions. I say arguably because while the Wikipedia page of "List of 20th Century Fox films (1935–1999)" lists both films premiering on 5/20/1985, the Wikipedia page of "Plenty (film)" lists a 5/17/1985 premiere date.
    a. A Google search for "Rupert Murdoch buys 20th Century Fox March 1985" reveals this link: variety.com/1985/biz/news/rupert-murdoch-to-buy-half-of-foxs-parent-company-1201344640. So, this 3/21/1985 article said that Murdoch bought that 50% on 3/20/1985.

-First 20CF released after Rupert Murdoch became head: Another set of two. First, is the Fox-distributed movie "Commando", which Silver Pictures produced. Second is the Fox-distributed "The Doctor and the Devils", which Fox co-produced with Brooksfilms.
    a. A Google search for "Rupert Murdoch buys Marc Davis' share in 20th Century Fox" revealed a 9/24/1985 NY Times article as shown here: nytimes.com/1985/09/24/business/murdoch-will-buy-out-davis-s-holdings-in-fox.html.
    b. O.K., so it was 9/24/1985 that Murdoch became head of Fox. When former co-head Marc David sold his shares, that $325 million that he sold is worth about $774,409,154.28 in today's market.
    Source: usinflationcalculator.com

-Final Fox movie released before the then-planned Disney/Fox merger announcement? The first mention that I know of about the then-planned merger was an 11/6/2017 article from CNBC. The 11/2/2017 Royal Albert Hall (a concert hall in South Kensington, London) premiere of "Murder on the Orient Express."

-First Fox movie after the then-planned Disney/Fox merger announcement? The 12/10/2017 LA premiere of the CGI film "Ferdinand".

-Final Fox movie released before the USDOJ gave conditional approval for the merger, which was on 6/27/2018? The 5/10/2018 Empire, Leicester Square (a movie theatre in Leicester Square, London) premiere of "Deadpool 2".

-First Fox movie released before USDOJ approval for the merger? The 8/3/2018 premiere of "The Darkest Minds".

-Last 20CF-produced or co-produced movie prior to the Disney-Fox merger: "Alita: Battle Angel" (released on 2/14/2019). This is the film that marked the end of the Fox film empire as people knew it.
    -First 20CF-produced or co-produced film to be released post-Disney-Fox merger: "Dark Phoenix" (released on 6/7/2019). While "Breakthrough" (released on 4/17/2019) is the first Fox release following the merger with Disney, it is a Fox 2000-produced film but 20CF-released film.

-The final 20CF-produced or co-produced film to be released post-Disney-Fox merger and last to carry the 20CF name: "Underwater" (released on 1/10/2020).
    -With DIsney recently dropping "Fox" from "20th Century Fox" and re-branding as "20th Century Studios", the first movie to carry that re-branded logo/name is "The Call of the Wild" (released on 2/21/2020).

-First 20CF movie to win an Oscar for Best Picture: "How Green Was My Valley" (released on 10/26/1941).
    a. What wast the first Fox movie to win an Oscar for Best Picture? O.K., so the First Academy Awards had an award called the Best Outstanding Picture and another one called the Best Unique and Artistic Picture. Paramount's "Wings" (released on 8/12/1927) won the former award and Fox's "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" (premiered on 9/13/1927) won the latter award.
    1. "Sunrise" was directed by F.W. Murnau (12/28/1888-3/11/1931), the director of the legendary silent vampire classic "Nosferatu" (premiered in Germany on 3/4/1922).
    b. After the First Academy Awards, the Best Unique and Artistic Picture award was discontinued. However, later on the Academy decided that the award that "Wings" won was the highest possible award at the Oscars that you could win. So, whether or not what "Sunrise" won qualifies as a Best Picture, for all practical purposes, is debatable. However, I lean towards it being something akin to Best Picture but not actually Best Picture.

-First Fox movie to win an Oscar for Best Actress: "Sunrise" via Jane Gaynor (10/6/1906-9/14/1984) and thus she was also the first winner of the Oscar for Best Actress. She also won the first Best Actress for "Street Angel" (premiered on 5/6/1927) and "Seventh Heaven" (premiered on 4/9/1928). So far, Gaynor is the only actress to win the Oscar for Best Actress for more than one movie at the same Oscar event.
    1. "Sunrise" was directed by F.W. Murnau (12/28/1888-3/11/1931), the director of the legendary silent vampire classic "Nosferatu" (premiered in Germany on 3/4/1922). The other 2 films were directed by Frank Borzage (4/23/1894-6/19/1962).
    2. "Wings", which was 1 of the first movies to show 2 men kissing, was directed by William Augustus Wellman (2/291896-12/9/1975). He would go on to direct the original version of a "A Star is Born" (a WB film which 4/20/1937). The original version of ASiB starred Gaynor. RKO's classic film "What Price Hollywood?" (released on 6/2/1932) has/had many similarities to the original ASiB film but whether or not the latter film is a remake of the former film is debatable.

-First Fox movie to win an Oscar for Best Director: Seventh Heaven" and that also won the first Oscar for Best Director.

-First Fox movie to win an Oscar for Best Actor: "In Old Arizona" (premiered on 12/25/1925) via Warren Baxter (3/29/1889-5/7/1951).
    a. First Oscar for Best Actor: Paramount's "The Way of All Flesh" (released on 6/25/1927) via Emil Jannings (7/23/1884-1/2/1950).

-First Fox movie released after the Fox vault fire: "The Californian" (7/18/1937).
    -Final Fox movie released before the 10/7/1996 launch of the Fox News channel: "That Thing You Do!" (10/4/1996).
    -First Fox movie released after FNC's launch: "Looking for Richard" (10/11/1996).
    -First Fox release for 1999: "Simply Irresistible" (2/5/1999).
    -Final Fox movie release for 1999: "Anna and the King" (12/17/1999).

-First Fox movie release for 2000: "The Beach" (2/11/2000).
    -Final Fox movie release for 2000: "Cast Away" (12/22/2000; it had the NA distribution rights whereas Dreamorks did the international release).
    -Final Fox movie release(s) before United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. (ruled on 5/3/1948), the de facto end of the Golden Age of Hollywood: "Fury at Furnace Creek" and "Lead Soldiers" (both on 4/30/1948).

-First Fox movie after the Golden Age of Hollywood ended: "The Iron Curtain" (5/12/1948).
    -Final Fox movie released before I was born (DOB: 9/4/1986): "The Fly" (8/15/1986)
    First Fox movie released after I was born: "The Name of the Rose" (9/19/1986; Fox had American/Canadian theatrical release rights).

-The first Fox movie as well as the first movie to have a budget of over $100 million from the start and not by inflation was "True Lies" (Released: 7/15/1994).

4. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    You sir had earned my respect (y)(y)

Fulminata likes this.
  5. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Roman history and coinage
    Genetics

I go through cycles - I'm into ceramics and cooking atm. But 4 months ago, I was nerding out over painting miniatures and making dioramas.

6. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    May I ask about who's the worst tyrant Roman has, my brother love Greco-Roman history and we argued that between Caligula and Tarquin.

7. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    Ancient China history.

P.s I don't care about the history after the Qing dynasty.

My favorites are three kingdom and Sui-Tang dynasty history.

Fulminata likes this.
  8. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm interested in various subjects such as nuclear power, and other energy topics. I've also spent some time studying ionizing radiation because of my interest in nuclear power. I'm also interested in watching various DIY, and other informative videos YouTube.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kind of questionable. Many of the stories we have weren't from sources that actually lived during their reigns. Suetonius, for example, was cited a lot but much of his characterisations of the Julio-Claudian emperors were gossipy and not substantiated by historical accounts that did manage to pass down to us. There was also a lot of propaganda too - Augustus, when he was just Octavian, printed pamphlets and spread rumours about how Mark Anthony had dedicated rulership of the world to Cleopatra, Queen of Beasts, and her not-really-Julius Caesar's-son heir, Caesarion.

Personally, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus would take the cake for making Romans hate the idea of a King ... even Roman Emperors avoided that title due to the history/bad rap it got.

Most Roman "rulers" had acts of tyranny - Romulus for conveniently murdering his twin, Remus and subjugating his neighbours into his subjects. They say he disappeared in a cloud on the steps of the senate so take that as you will. Other honourable mentions pre-Augustus - Gaius Marius during his seventh consulship and his massacre of Sulla's supporters, Sulla Felix in proscriptions against "enemies of the state" and confiscating their property, Julius Caesar's high-handedness and purposefully cucking his peers - Brutus' mother was a favourite of his ... the list goes on. Oh yeah, Crassus' fire service where he would rock up with his slaves and bid for your burning house, if you didn't sell it to him, he wouldn't put the fire out; eventually, you had to sell at rock bottom prices - it's one of the reasons there was a story that the Parthians poured molten gold into his mouth, even he probably never actually fleeced them personally.

I could go on for weeks ... so let's stop here lol

Aristes likes this.
  10. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, thanks. I only read Greco-Roman history and myth from Rick Riordan's series.
    Tarquin greatest menace was when he made Sibylline to burn her book until only few (as in one or two remains). Caligula, he was pretty much like 'I don't bark I goes straight to bite for real'. Then Nero, the guy allows half of Rome burn, all to save his favorite palace that was said made out of gold. Watch the movie about Commodus, all I have in mind was, 'wow, this guy is a legit total sociopath'. Thanks for the enlightenment.

11. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    History. I'm really into bronze age or before that. How they lived, their hygienes, their technologies, laws, their urban plannings etc. Now I'm into this civilization that was pre-gobekli tepe. A few years ago I was really into mythologies, Norse and greek myths.

12. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a nerd for historical torture method, perfumes, and carnivorous plants. And TEA.
    Don't judge pwease, it's just sooo veryy interestingg! :aww::aww:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Aristes and Beren like this.
  13. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    Not bad

Fulminata likes this.
  14. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, a lot of that is historically wrong but it sounds really funny. I never read that series.
    Apparently, Tarquin was approached by Sibylline who offered him nine books of prophecy at a really expensive price. He refused, she burnt three of them and offered the remaining six at the same price. He refused again so she burn another three before he finally accepted her conditions.
    Caligula stamped his own death warrant by announcing in 40 AD that he planned to move to Alexandria permanently to become worshipped as a living god. Many of his perverse tales of insanity - incest with three of his sisters, prostituting them, turning the palace into a brothel, making his horse consul are debatable since bad governance often meant bad propaganda against them by their political opponents.
    Nero never let Rome burn down - he never instigated it nor a played a fiddle while it burned. Great fires were common - there are 6 between 6-36 AD. In fact, Nero was known to have blamed Christians for the fire and used the incidence to persecute them.
    Commodus had megalomania - dude thought he was Hercules.

15. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, about Caligula, the guy wasn't exactly insane, but over paranoid. In the series, the guy was kept hostage by his uncle Tiberius (If recall correctly), one of his sister in particular, Drusilla was the one that suffers the most from Caligula's affection, showing his gruesome nature that she died at young age, suffocated from his love. Though I at first, finds it hard to believe that he put his horse, Incitatus as a consul in his reign.

16. lazyasianscientist

lazyasianscientist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im a nerd for Chinese historical novels, wuxia and xianxia
    Its just too beautiful for me at the same time so interesting :aww::aww:

Fulminata likes this.
  17. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know cheating men must die?

18. lazyasianscientist

lazyasianscientist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god yes hahahaha

19. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    The fun thing about greek stories is that it has multiple endings and versions and not all of it ending in tragedy. Plus Psyche and Eros lived together at the end with psyche becoming an immortal like eros. Plus Eros remained loyal to Psyche in the end and never had multiple wives like most greek gods do. It's like a historical greek version of a josei web novel (What with the tyrannical mother-in-laws, extremely handsome ML and white lotus FL)

20. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    You want a tyrannical mother in laws, ask Hera. The lady fits many thing to become Myth version of Cersei Lannister

MidstNost likes this.