Deep Fake

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Neiri, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you think that it will come to a point that videos are no longer admissible to the court of law as evidence?

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    They will always be permissible as evidence, but whether or not the court considers it helpful to your case might change. Just like witness testimony. You can certainly fake that, but not everything.

Fulminata, reagents 11 and Reack like this.
  3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought videos and recordings are never good evidence, the court will mainly focus on the black and white on paper rather than digital media because the latter is a weak sauce.

4. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slap a timestamp locked behind a 256 bit encryption and we’ve got business. Make it sorta like Bitcoin where existing videos recorded can be traded but not edited. Sounds like a good idea to me but not sure about feasibility since protecting a single Bitcoin is probably much easier than an entire video worth of data. Also I imagine the logistics of making a video viewable but not editable while still being encrypted is probably very difficult or even impossible

If they don’t do something like the above then yeah probably gonna go the witness testimony route.

5. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres probably an ai that can detect if a picture is doctored by another AI...

6. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    At least remember not to use 3gp, always bring Iphone

7. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That will not do. You will be taking something as true only based on technological race of two AIs.
    You will always have the question if the program is up to date.
    For op could be yes but each country have a diffrent way of how laws are created.
    Mostly you would need a case and fight it a way into the highes court in that country to get that deffinition.
    Let say this technology need about 2-5 years to be perfect so you could only say it fake after addicion of next 5 years.
    Let say 10 years from now we could fight it out in court till the highest one it could take another 5 years to be there if you need to walk instance for istance and then we have the issue if its a general case or just for this one.
    So min 15 (I would even say ~25) years from now we will see how it works out.

justmehere likes this.
  8. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We still take eyewitness testimony in court despite it being the most unreliable evidence. It takes a lot more effort to doctor a video than someone lying in court, and people perjure themselves all the time.

Will 'trust' in video go down over time? Yes, but it literally can't get more untrustworthy than humans.

That's essentially the NFT technology in the art world now, using blockchain to lock in ownership but other things like creation dates/timestamps or other stuff is possible to do. (flexing my scant 2 day old knowledge)

ongoingwhy likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah~
    there exist so called expert testimony which can give and allowed to give opinion toward thing on court unlike eyewitness which can only give fact they know~

also depend on each country law, is da video direct evidence or hmm forget da correct term, clue evidence~
    direct as it called directly taken or involve on crime such as killer weapon on crime
    clue evidence, thing that give hint suspect is da one doing crime or stuff like that~
    legal stuff on court this cat forget bout it~

so nah it not that simple is such stuff can or cannot on future~ not to mention law regarding technology kinda evolve albeit on snail pace~
    19656.png

10. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that hard to dissect fake video and picture that aren't expertly made. There are now digital forensics that analyze such evidence now so that even expertly faked video and picture can be outed.

So no records and it's digital files would remain one of the more reliable piece of evidence.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  11. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Circumstantial evidence?

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe~ this cat dropped from law so kinda vague with those term~

13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think same with picture, it could be used, but it need someone/some tech which could detect if it's fake or not.

14. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    In the future everything will be taken over by robot, even the law and the judge so yeah video evidence will not go away soon.

In fact, video evidence is always will be more reliable than human witness. After all it's easier to tell if a video is fake than to tell if someone is lying.

15. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than the count of law I'm more worried about the court of public opinion. I imagine that with the right fake videos someone can induce all kinds of riots, destroy people's lives or influence elections.

Fulminata likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah plus people attention these day is really short one plus lack of hmmm willingness to check a piece of info is hoax or true
    on developing country that really huge issue as for develop country maybe only USA well looking at last capitol storm which imo ridiculous such thing can happen there~

Fishy_MC_FishMan likes this.
  17. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Hard to say, but i think not. it will get harder to convince the judges with video evidences as the public trust of it gets lower and lower, sure. But deepfakes do much more than just a video; they did audio recording too. If there's a ban of videos, then will audio recording also being banned? And audio recording has been used to counter terrorism and such.

What's scary of deepfakes is actually how hard to detect it. Deepfakes are not snippets of videos being copy-and-pasted; it's the result of an AI learning the gestures, images, and voice of a person and imitated it from scratch. It's basically a newly made, complete video, and therefore 'authentic' in the sense of not being tampered. :sweating_profusely:

Agreed. Judgement by media, and therefore, the public, is scary. Even without deepfakes, there's been a case of how riots over misinformation could pressurize the court into a decision. I wonder how deepfakes woukd affect this.