Discussion Spare me the little sister(s)!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, Mar 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like why does every protag have to have an annoying little sister?! Or elder sister. Or both. Or siblings, for that matter. Why, for once, can't the MC be a single child? And why did CNs/manhua, despite China's one-child policy, get on board too? And why do the sisters (or siblings) have to be so annoying, abusive, stupidly naïve, overprotective, obsessed (or worse, yanderes), sickly (KR) or sickly sweet? And, most of all, why can't they leave the MC alone, or better yet, why can't the dumb-fuck MC leave them alone, esp. in those cases where they seem like they don't want wanna have anything to do with him? Why are MCs so cowed they can't even say enough is enough when the lil sis keeps giving them shit?

As for those poor lone children who believe in the anime portrayal of the cute onii-chan calling lil sister, take this from a guy who has a little sister: little sisters stop being cute once they stop being very little. And even when you love them (*admits with some reluctance*) you wanna strangle them half the time, and that, too when they are not being half as annoying as the archetypal annoying lil sister. I know fiction doesn't have to be realistic, but really, this is taking things too far! :blobangery:

Hope my sis isn't in this forum...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Violet Blaze and Maomaomao like this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Too bad, she's in this forum

Violet Blaze, Maomaomao and otaku31 like this.
  3. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a death flag, ya kno?

4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    True, irl siblings relationships are so much more different from most novels/manga/anime.
    Sometimes i go in my sister's room to just throw a pillow in her face and then leave.
    And most of the time we don't talk all that much between us, i didn't even see my brothers faces today.
    Honestly that's how siblings relationships are more like =)) Most people that have siblings are pretty much the same, usually just ignoring each other.

6. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope that she's here

7. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    *glances at silent cell phone* Nope, she isn't. :blobok:

8. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    She's coming at you irl. Run.

9. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about you, but the first one, annoying, is accurate of almost every younger sibling while the second, abusive, is accurate of almost every older sibling, with differences in magnitude of course.

I can't be the only one who lorded over my younger brothers with an iron fist until they united and overthrew me right?

........right?

Violet Blaze and otaku31 like this.
  10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Feel free to donate your imouto.

11. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    She can't make it. A thousand kilometers separate us. :blobhero:

With younger brothers? Maybe. But I have it good authority you can't do that with lil sisters. They squeal and tattle and bite and scratch, and your hands are tied because they are, apparently, delicate, being girls and all (this from my parents). :rolleyes:

Can't. She's her own person now.

12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, they stop being fun when they gain their own identity. So fun when they're pliable, 'let's play pokemon together!' 'okay!'
    'let's make some snacks' 'wooooo'.
    Then it turns into 'let's play pokemon together' 'get a life you dork'
    'let's make some snacks' 'you'll get fat' or 'whatever, i'm busy'. :blobpopcorn_two:

13. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's quite subjectiv I'd say, depending on many different factors like age difference, number of siblings, their sexes, etc.

And of course there will seldom be any sibling relationship as they are portraied in manga / novels. Just like romance stories are down to earth and totaly realistic :ROFLMAO:

14. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know each hype had each high in last 10 years from little loli sister, over older onee-san, till crazy yandere sis, they are used the same way as harem/incest in general. At time to be out of normal(incest) or to have bigger fan base people have different fetishes so they add one more in new stories.

I go a bit away from starting but it is a well know fact for example that in Overlord Light Novel the addition of Albedo (Deep in love female with MC, like a passive yandere) wich was not in first version of Webnovel get the novel more viewers, if i remember it right even the author said that few characters needed to be add or change their fates from WN in LN as the editors have complain about the WN version so at the end there are more readers of LN...

15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I do like stories with siblings that are just kinda chill adults with each other that sorta just get along. The only time siblings are ever an issue from my experience is when you and your siblings are dumb kids who can't think properly.

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    summary your sister is jerk?
    19656.png
    nah it just usual stuff~
    this cat sibling like to poke each other so you can cry on corner~

17. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, my sister IRL is pretty tolerable. Heck, we actually get along well... when we're not at each other's throats, that is.

My complaint is more about fictional portrayal of most siblings here, esp. lil sisters. Now, THEY tend to be unbearable.

18. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wahahaha as someone who has little sisters, I couldn't agree more.

Anime and manga portrayal of little sisters are way too ideal. On the boundary of delusion.

19. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The relationship with my siblings in real life is so close, we always got each other's back. But somehow animes and asian novels have this very obnoxious approach to this. Especially if it's a girl and a younger one at that. Authors have this excessive imaginations about sisters.. Most times it's just annoying. I'd say maybe it's wish-fulfilment holding back the story? Idk don't like it either way lol. Although boy siblings are rare in novels eh.. but tend to be much better? Of course that doesn't mean anything in real life but only about the authors.

20. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read any number of stories with a protagonist who doesn't have a sister, though. Even just considering the stories I was reading today, out of 4, none of the protagonists had little sisters... Even though they're all harems.
    However, I have a good answer for this question. The answer is... that MC will usually take shit from any beautiful girl. Or maybe he'll take shit from any woman. Or maybe he'll take shit from any person. Or anything that decides to give him shit. A lot of main characters at least start out like that. If you don't like reading about toilets, once you recognize the MC for who he is you can just move on to the next story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.