Spoiler A Stepmother's Märchen

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by twistingfeelings, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Meizey

Meizey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THANK YOU, I'm really glad it's like that. I personally prefer happy stories (doesn't have to be comedy just with happy end and mostly lighter/happier story) so I was kinda scared that it will be sad and when I read something I just wanna relax and have that happy, kinda idealistic story because I know it's not really something that will happen in real life all the time. So I'm really glad that she's happy now. Thank you very much for your answer

Eiidachan likes this.
  2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    History repeat. The former Empress( who look just like Shuli) practically took the hearts of the Emperor, Nora's dad and Jeremy's dad.

Ravenz, VelvetColors, Jukki and 2 others like this.
  3. Mira_bee

Mira_bee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone know where I can buy the book? fyi, I don't know how to buy via korean kakaopage and dont have korean number..

4. thuphuong

thuphuong New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did anyone have a spoiler on the next chapter tho I'm dying right now when they end at that

5. thuphuong

thuphuong New Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. zauberesel

zauberesel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what chapter is it revealed that Nora’s father was in love with the former empress?

mangalover_101 likes this.
  7. Themas

Themas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to be a fucking simp or anything except that is totally what I am...

However, the art of the latest chapter (61) is so beautiful that my emotions have gone right back around to "angry" somehow. I don't understand. But everytime I let myself look at that one gorgeous spreadsheet of Nora and Shuli I just have to scream into my hands wtf.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  8. AileenOwO

AileenOwO Queen of Headaches

Reading List:
    Link
    Nora's father? Isnt it only the King and Duke Neuwanstein?

9. zauberesel

Reading List:
    Link
    why quote me? I’d like to know too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ @Archaon mentioned it in the earlier post:
    “History repeat. The former Empress( who look just like Shuli) practically took the hearts of the Emperor, Nora's dad and Jeremy's dad.”

10. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s been established that the Duke was into her too. I want to say the duchess has straight admitted in one of the earlier chapters that she knew he was in love with someone else (que either silhouette or meaningful panel of Shuli) when they married. (Not up to digging through chapters at the moment)

The manga at least has been a bit coy about the whole thing, not outright saying X, X, and X were in love with the past empress. But it’s made pretty clear in the framing (showing all 3 trailing after her in their youth, etc) and in oblique statements that imply it (it’s often said that the guy married Shuli because she looked like the late empress, but dances around why that would matter).

Really wish we knew more about this woman. All we really know is that she was a beautiful and vivacious woman who died young and subsequently got romanticized as all get out by the guys who were besotted with her. I’ve said before that I doubt she was any kind of mustache twirling villain, but there’s some hints that all the romanticizing has covered up some clear flaws that just never had a chance to develop into bigger problems.

(It’s also been implied that Shuli’s husband DID marry her partially for her resemblance, but not because of sentimentality. We’ve already seen that the Duke and the King have a clear soft spot because of her resemblance, helping her out a lot. And with the court case with Jeremy, it seems like it can also be used as leverage in certain situations. Obviously the three parties involved knew about them all being interested in her, as well as that she at the very least didn’t discourage the other two’s interest even after pairing with the king. But everyone’s dancing around the truth to keep it from becoming a scandal that two of the most powerful men in the nobility were coveting the queen. So Shuli’s got a few things in her arsenal because of the resemblance.)

Edit: Nora’s dad is the Duke. Just for clarity.
    Also the cardinal also had some weird obsession with her as implied by the comic. This woman just attracted guys like crazy.

Ravenz, Amanda16, kimberlyt and 4 others like this.
  11. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Awesome post.
    Could you clarify the ' some clear flaws that just never had a chance to develop into bigger problems.'?

From seeing her character alone, I can see numerous regarding tropes that can be attached to her like 'woman who got everything,' 'the woman who got away' or 'that other girl" (which are already a problematic tropes) that SHuli might even fall into. basically, just because someone who is a woman seems to be unique and different from the majority of the population.

12. zauberesel

Reading List:
    Link
    Many thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll need to reread the manga from the beginning since I somehow missed this part!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  13. InTheEther

InTheEther Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I may be grasping at straws a bit, just because we really do know very little about her.

As I’ve said before, I really do like the current queen. She isn’t perfect (her recent manipulations surrounding Jeremy’s hearing were more than a little self serving, even though I also think that her going overly harsh on him actually helped Jeremy’s case), but I’m inclined to think she isn’t just a cliche 2nd wife falling short of the 1st wife like we often see. There’s likely some reason for the dislike outside of hurt pride.

The cardinal mentions the former queen butting into politics and it causing some discontent. Dude’s a creep, but it seems like that wouldn’t all just be in his head. (Obviously the current queen also dabbles in politics, so probably the former just did so clumsily)

Just the fact that she did kinda string the other two along. At the very least we see her leveraging the Duke’s attachment to her to look after her son. Yes, she’s dieing and I’m not going to fault her for getting someone to look after her kid. But the way she did comes off as practiced emotional manipulation to me.

I don’t think she was a black hearted schemer or anything. But it does seem like she may have leaned on her charm to manipulate people a bit too much (reminds you a bit of her son). And it’s probably even likely that she just wasn’t suited to being the queen, being too brash and indelicate when it comes to the court and politics (I want to say she was described as a tomboy at some point?). It’s not an easy job and it’s not like she was trained for it.
    So nothing that would make her a terrible person, but had the guys interacted with her when they were older and more mature, or had she had time to make some unfortunate missteps, they would’ve realized that she wasn’t some perfect fairylike creature.

14. PrettyFujoshiLady

PrettyFujoshiLady Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for clarifying the timelines. I actually got confused and doubted some sequence. In second timeline, it's clear that Elias accepted and adored Shuli as a mother. So I find slander and etc confusing. He did fell on gambling but well. Atleast he recognized his mistake and turned a new leaf. He does make stupid mistakes as I've read in the adaptation. He is troublesome. But I love the fact that he recognized and apologized making them. That's why I love his character. So teenager. So human and so vulnerable. Kinda cute.

15. Spoiling Queen

Spoiling Queen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got this picture of this Manhwa:
    IMG_20210306_060352.jpg
    I want it to happen in the manhwa!!!!
    It's adult Nora and Shuli together!!:blobsmilehappyeyes:

16. crprlnm

crprlnm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to read the full novel so bad :cry: aaaaa the spoilers from novels seems 10x more heartbreaking than the manhwa.

17. glitter89

glitter89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in chpater 61 of the manhwa, when they say "Neuschwanstein went half mad longing for his dead lover," are they referring to Jeremy missing Shuli? sorry if this is a dumb question

18. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I believe yes. He never confessed and his love was unrequited. She was his fathers wife so he knew they could never be together. But she was his love and he mourned like a mad man

Ravenz, Elren, lostpanta and 7 others like this.
  19. glitter89

glitter89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ohhh ok...so it is for sure that Jeremy loved Shuli in the first life as a woman right? the spoiler translations kind of confused me so I was always kinda lost cuz it seemed most definitely he didn't see her as platonic family but she was special to him somehow

20. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aww man, I wish the novel was completely translated to english. Now the only thing I can do is waiting for the manhwa to complete.