Did you ever go bug catching?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Silver Snake, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a class in middle school where the teacher released a bunch of grasshoppers outside of the classroom and the students were tasked with catching them. I think we fed them to the class pet, a spider or something. My memory is not the best.

I'm always seeing in anime people going bug catching, and they do it in animal crossing too, so, have you ever gone bug catching? Omg, I just remembered having this suction toy as a kid that would suck up any bugs and put them in a capsule. Omg, that thing was awesome. I'mma hit up amazon real quick. Give me a second.

Okay, I'm back.

Aw man, but the real sucky thing is that I never went into a forest or the mountains to catch bugs, I betcha that's where the real deals are.

What was I saying again?

Lurking, CosmicInsomniac and Kefie like this.
  2. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah then I would kill them . I would pluck of the wings of butterfly’s and moths .

3. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember vividly that when I was a child in kindergarten, I would go to a certain grass field and catch grasshoppers by hand.

4. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking back, the cruelty was real. I also murdered grasshoppers.

5. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grasshoppers, praying mantises, crickets leaf hoppers, and the occasional daddy long legs. Did it until I was 8 or 9.

6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I used a classic magnifying glass to burn them.

7. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bunch of psychos in this thread. I wouldn’t go anywhere near creepy crawlies back then and I still wouldn't now. NOPE :sweating_profusely:

8. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think i ever went out "bug catching" i did catch quite a few tho, i also caught reptiles and a mouse or two if smashing em with a shovel counts. the lizard dropped its tail and bailed and i dont think i caught one after that, frogs were let back into the pond after holding em for a while.

Lurking likes this.
  9. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I get a cricket in the house it will be hunted down and it WILL DIE

Xxsafirex likes this.
  10. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, when i was in elementary school, i love catching various of animals with my friends. Grasshoppers, dragonfly (with sticky stick), praying mantis, butterfly fishes, chamelon, crabs, eels, even snake (which we thought it was eel).

That was a fun times, so nostalgic.

11. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    LOLOLOLOL
    Same tbh. Butterflies are scary when I'm 5 yrs old and that fact haven't changed.

Hamski likes this.
  12. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    i have entomophobia so never

13. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Catch dragonflies or grasshopper ..
    Then cook 'em...

14. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeap with my group of friends. We would go to our school's mini garden to catch spiders with plastic bottles and raise them by feeding them flies.

Good old times.

15. bchap

bchap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Used to catch lightning bugs in summer.

Lazy Bookworm likes this.
  16. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never have. The only wild animals I've touched are a snake that was stuck in a neighbors empty pool and an iguana that was stuck in a fence that I helped get out.

But on the topic of bugs, yesterday I saw a relatively large black bee like bug with orange monarch butterfly like wings. I tried to get close to get a good picture of it. But it tended to fly away. I only got blurry pictures. Yet later I researched what it was and it appeared to be a Pepsis marginata. A tarantula hawk wasp. The one that lays eggs on body of living spiders.

Lurking likes this.
  17. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there was one time when I dug up 10-15 earthworms in my school playground and threw them at two girls who constantly bullied me. I was never afraid of earthworms because my grandpa used to tell me often how helpful they are in the garden (he was a mega-green-thumb).
    Also, on summer solstice we have a tradition to go firefly-hunting at night. Though, we don't have many fireflies, so we don't actually catch them, just look at them and try to hold for a few seconds at most.
    But I don't like to hold most of the bugs in my hands. Apart from earthworms and ladybugs, I only can hold bumblebees and some beetles and won't mind if a butterfly or a bee lands on me. Wasps make me tense if they land on me, but still tolerable. Anything else will make me shriek loud enough to be heard on the other side of the town.

Silver Snake likes this.
  18. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes mostly with my 2 older brothers. :aww:

19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tons of times as a kid, bug catching or just observing. I never picked them apart though, just catch and release, like fish. But sometimes there were accidents.

• Oldest I remember is ladybugs and pillbugs.
    • Prettiest were damselflies, butterflies and moths (there are moths that fly around during the day too y'know, many moths are beautiful. One type looks brown until it unfolds it's wings and then it's an intense pretty orange-y color inside).
    • The most interesting was following the swimming bug, looked like a tiny tiny rowboat, using two legs as oars. Trying to catch it or just follow it while swimming was pretty fun.
    • The most simply fun to have crawl around on my hands were pillbugs, daddy long legs, and ladybugs.

Occasionally as an adult to give food to a random neighborhood spider, otherwise I only catch them to put them outside.

20. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    You reminded me of the time I held out my finger and a wasp landed on it. I was super peaceful and calm about the whole thing, and then like a certain disney princess, I raised my arm as if to say, "you are free to go," and it flitted away.

And there was another time when I was super bored with nothing to do but wait during a school field trip, so I just played with a tiny bug that kept trying to climb up my finger. I would turn my hand upside down so even when the bug went up it would go down. And then I did the same you are free to go motion and it too flew away.

Ah, those were good times. I miss them dearly. But as they say, if you love something, then you must let it go.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021