Discussion Do you have an MC that you hate?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nikilovelovetae, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JrX

JrX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The black cat spearman mc. God I hate that little bitch and the author. At the start the mc is somewhat likable but after the second arc the mc suddenly turn into "self insert isekai protagonist #78" out of nowhere. It's like the author suddenly found out the trashy novels get the views so he throws out all the character build up and transform the mc to this unlikable piece of shit.

Most of the time if I don't like a novel I try to forget it as soon as I can, so there are times where I re read something that i don't like. But not this one, i think this is the only novel in here that I absolutely hate.

2. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the selfish protagonists who are enslaved to female characters and value only their freedom.

3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JP light novel Beta protags, Toika protags ( korean writer whose main mode of writing is wish fulfillment from get go), the typical chinese sword using murderhobo ( there are interesting ones, unfortunately, this is the pile you need to dig through to find the rare diamonds), the author's vessel of drama ( I am looking at Jim Butcher's Dresden and the *ugh*last Titan in the latest 2 books of DFiles here as example) and that's mostly it.

4. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate is a strong feeling. Maybe you can be driven by hate, but will it not consume you in the end?

5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking something like those slave harem protagonists who care only about the freedom of the isekai harem protagonists?

Isaac20 likes this.
  6. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate MCs that are so dense that it's their personality. Maybe having an instance or two is okay, since that's pretty normal for people irl tbh, but there are some stories where it is too much. Like a small story arc of like 2-3 chapters is okay for a comedic effect, but having the whole story based of that denseness within the MC drives me crazy.

7. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

Hmmmmm...

Mc that I hate. It's easy to name the ones I don't like but, hate?.. Idk

Maybe Lin quiyue from ED?

Not because of the arrogant tag, no,its about how fake and dramatic his personality is..

Author seems to have written it while imagining himself as the mc, his actions seem intentionally drastic to create over reactions.

If not, a premise like a ten million year old monster taking over the world would be a thrilling read.

He should be way over the point of showing arrogance, vanity, obsession, and pride.. Something that should come naturally in his way of actions and be felt normal to be respected by others...

Other than him, I think Naruto?

Don't know why though, maybe I watched the series too late but something about the way he behaves turned me off...

8. Deleted member 310141

Deleted member 310141 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    smart MC that turn out "blind" and meek when fall in love

9. Nikilovelovetae

Nikilovelovetae Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What novel is FY from?

10. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity.

11. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean Mushoku Tensei or some other work ( I am vaguely aware there is some spaghetti long title going something like anlther world's strongest is jobless or what's wrong with a jobless hero or some shit like that)?

12. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Hypocrites. I don't mind a villain protagonist, but a protagonist who keeps acting like he is a agent for justice yet is nothing more than a huge asshole or a MC who keeps saying he is cold, ruthless yet easily forgives women who tried to kill him or jumps in the first moment he sees a person being harmed. So called "Smart and calculative" MC's who go full retard.

But the worst kind of MC's are the lazy ones who let things escalate to an extreme before taking action at the last possible moment

13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *visible confusion* sorry if I don't get the joke, but I'm very confused.

Back to the topic:

In general, hypocrites dishing out "justice" and perverts are the ones I dislike the most. And MCs that are really, really dumb. Of course, the story has to be on the MC's side for that to be annoying. By that, I mean the author tries to make the MC look smart or good but it's not convincing -- those are the worst.

Another trope I generally dislike is a second chance MC killing/ruining someone's life for being horrible in their past life, with no other reason. If there really was another reason they deserved it, then it's alright, but I really don't think it's ok to punish someone for thoughts that they have or crimes they commit in the future.

I mean, I agree with some of these, but why y'all getting so worked up about it?
    Sometimes I see people in comment sections dissing the main character for perceived character flaws, and cussing about it too. Like, unless you wasted a lot of money or time on it, it's not that big of a deal, right? You can just drop it, or write a bad review about it, but be civil in the comments. If the humor isn't for you, it's ok, there's no need to read it. Um, unless you paid for it, that's a different story.
    On the flip side I also see people defending characters because of their backstory or something. "Oh, it's ok if he kills an entire clan, because the clan head offended him, and also he was bullied as a kid, he has the right to be a homicidal maniac"
    *smh* NO. I have to disagree. Unless they were forced to, or did so accidentally/without knowing that it would kill people, such an action is unforgivable in my book.

Uhh, I don't hate dense MCs, but yes, I hope that their character has some other traits other than just being dense. And a lot of people dislike "beta MCs". While there are parts when I think the MC is being too much of a doormat, I generally prefer a nice MC to the kind that kills people for perceived slights and mistakes. After all, for a modern person, I don't think it's easy to kill or ruin someone, especially if you don't know the full story.

*side note*
    I once read this manhwa called Reverse Villain. I think they tried too hard to make the MC look cool, it breaks the immersion. The MC walks around and usually stands with his hands in his pockets, even when he was a little kid. Heck, he even fights with his hands in his pockets. It's actually a little funny, even.

that was way longer than I expected it would be
    alright bye

PS:
    You mean Li Qiye from Emperor's Domination, right?

Zeusomega likes this.
  15. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    yes:blobpeek:...how old is this thread again?

16. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm, really old, I just realized. 2 months? I just saw it in the Novel General 'cuz someone posted on it recently.
    Sorry for the alert...:blobsweat_2:

17. Sayne

Sayne if u read this u are a noob

Reading List:
    Link
    In general I hate MCs that are the typical one-dimensional idiots that make "saving every random stranger or care too much about strangers" their motto (an exception would be smth like MHA, where they are Heroes and they need to have this mindset). Like dude stop this dumb shit. I also hate MCs that are clowns and only exist for Comedy like Naruto. Or those simp MCs like the one from "Rent a Girlfriend". I need a realistic, unique, calculating, cynical and maybe even sociopathic/psychopathic one that is willing to sacrifice people for his own or greater good.

I also hate Naruto lmao. This dude is just a clown jumping around imo. I literally watched Naruto only for the Uchiha-Clan.

Zeusomega likes this.
  18. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    When Mc goes through something terrible and is about to turn into a demon/ god of death and destruction in name of revenge then some stupid girl comes around has sex with him and says please don’t kill all these people it’s not what your dead family would want or when mcs girl’s family does something horrible to him or his friends like killing them but he lets them live cause she begged him like people important to him can die but he can’t get revenge because they are important to you don’t you see the double standards

19. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    You know what really pisses me off about yun che the woman pregnant with his child was basically hunted to her death by this bitch and her people but he let her live because she’s the mother of his friend like wow your unborn child means nothing to you then you trash

20. Ami273

Ami273 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mo ran, well i hate how stupid is he..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.