Discussion Mc is clearly controlled

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mmsupreme, Mar 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    A gripe I started having with harems is not only that they have a tendency to turn into pokemon gotta catch them all and they all blend into one character who's only mission is to motivate the mc. Its because they are a extremely difficult story mechanic that very rarely gets used correctly. It devolves into a similar situation as nationalism in novels where the country didn't do shit for you and you are suppose to be a strong puppet to help your fellow countryman even though a few chapters back they weren't doing shit for you whilst you were in poverty. The harem members are the same when its on a rape, marriage, or sacrifice timer. Its especially screwed when its suppose to be a mc who fights against fate since these very harem members takes on the totem of fate if you look at it closely.

Swift Gull and Nitpicking Reader like this.
  2. Kaneki07

Kaneki07 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice! I never thought of it that way. Good interpretation my guy.

3. Nitpicking Reader

Nitpicking Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now i really want to get some recommendations from you with a good harem (i dont mind if rape is included)

4. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I get what you are saying, it's like the MC is nothing but a pawn who does what he's encouraged to do? It is similar to how I feel a lot of MCs in general seem to have no agency and just accept every quest that comes along as if it's a video game.

5. Swift Gull

Swift Gull Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do agree with this but on another hand if that path is not followed it is either an Isekai or what I think is an MC who is a coward and runs at every possible situation

6. Swift Gull

Reading List:
    Link
    One more thing too if you would notice that arranged marriages which have made some of the major plot of so many novels in the case of Mc becomes that the girl somehow falls in love with the MC to make it look alright. and the common use of Stockholm Syndrome makes it even more unbearable where they had some some special medicines and then something happens and because of that everyone likes MC and also the common thing is some of those characters picked up are super random for example in I am Overlord or Womanizing Mage where the arranged marriages are common like vegetables on the field and anyone you pick is yours and then you keep it.

The part of the nationalism I understand in many cases but in some cases as you mentioned it is unbearable as the number of times they say that my country is this and we should make it great again and they write with an attitude that as if that entire continent belongs to them and that they are the most REFINED,CULTURED,OLDEST,EDUCATED Civilization and that they ruled everyone but then some nation beat they 5 Centuries ago and they still are fighting over that issue.

And the mention about rape is mainly only if you observe on the nations that they don't like because their ancestors scammed or invaded them centuries ago . And one more point of phobia is that even a minor issue among people become national issues in novels which leads to wars to protect the country.

The puppetry is just another subject where in the novel the MC no matter how strong he gets is always inferior to the forces of the country and it is always mentioned that if you are below the people or the government and when they give you a label of strong then only can you be considered good or strong or immediately no matter how strong you are you are suppressed.

I totally agree. and my only wish to these authors is mentions or some patriotic acts are fine in some situations but if you constantly revolve your story around that then the story would not be a story which people reading would enjoy.

7. mmsupreme

Reading List:
    Link
    A horrible example that came to mind was transcend vision which is translated on wuxiaworld it literally had a scene where the female characters threatens suicide to force the mc. At the moment he caved in it was over and I quit the novel right after that. Just pulling that move without killing the female character and forcing the mc to move is such a cheap ass plot mover that your expectations is screwed for the rest of the novel. Not to mention how everyone else was forcing him to move instead of him deciding his way. He was allowed to do what he did in the novel

novaes likes this.
  8. mmsupreme

Reading List:
    Link
    I am actually somewhat fine with the arranged marriages especially if they get broken. But what i want is maybe once have a arranged marriage that gets broken on the females side by the girls parents and the girl turns out to be a extreme yandere and kills the elders for ripping up the contract and later chases after the mc since the mc already knew she was crazy for him and took that chance to run

Swift Gull likes this.
  9. Swift Gull

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude you and I have a lot of common in this aspect to be honest but some genius authors might write that the girl chased him forever and in the end they became friend as MC is devoted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.