Question Cheap Wordpress Hosting Recommendation

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Deleted member 174749, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Deleted member 174749

Deleted member 174749 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When I started translating, I used the free wordpress.com plan. When I decided to put ads, I simply upgraded to the Business plan, which is around 300 usd/yr... Doing so was easy and hassle-free, and I didn't have to migrate anything...

But looking back on it, I realized I made such an expensive purchase for a project that can't even easily earn back the money lost (I'm a small indie translator). I really regret not considering enough factors into it when I upgraded. When my current plan expires, I plan to transfer my blog to a cheaper host. However, I'm not a developer, and I'm kinda scared of what I'll have to face when I self-host. Any recommendations on good and cheap wordpress hosting? And what are your experiences on it?

I've done my research, but all the information I've found has become quite overwhelming.

How do you deal with spam comments? How do you ensure security? Do translation sites even have to worry about security?

The wordpress.com Business plan comes with Jetpack Pro and Akismet, so I never had to worry about such things. If I self-host, I figure I'm gonna have to do some extra work.

2. UntamedS

UntamedS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try Dreamhost, it's cheap and you have the option to pay per month.

3. coyoteelabs

coyoteelabs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can find plenty of cheap hosting providers. Just look for a hosting provider that includes cPanel in theprice (VPS and dedicated servers usually require an extra charge to include cPanel).
    cPanel has plenty of 1-click installers and Wordpress is among them so it's easy to set it up.
    For dealing with spam/security, see what plugins you currently have installed and use the same ones on your new installation.

01 likes this.
  4. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    I found this thing called hostinger, pretty cheap imo. I never used this tho but it seems come from legit company.

ps: They also have cpanel

5. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Girl, 300usd/yr which is around 25usd per month sounds like a rip-off. I'm assuming you have less than 20k views daily and other hosting providers provide vps plans at like less than 15 dollars a month and that's pretty roomy for a growing site.
    (The only problem is that after your first plan with them, the next time you renew, majority of these stupid sites up the cost of renewal to twice of what you initially paid)

I use disqus for comments so probably not the best and fastest option but at least it gets ppl commenting...
    As for security, unless you're a really big site like foxaholic, the chances of getting DDOSed is pretty small. Otherwise, you can install a lightweight firewall plugin. kinsta articles usually have good recommendations.

6. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    The Business plan from Wordpress if overkill if you only got it for the ads.

You could swap to a lower tiered plan like Wordpress's Premium plan for 8/month. It won't let you use Google Ad Sense but it will let you use Wordads, which is Wordpress's version of Adsense.
    https://wordpress.com/go/digital-ma...-which-is-right-for-your-website-infographic/

I know all Wordpress packages come with Jetpack, but I'm not sure if the Premium comes with Jetpack Pro or not.

8. Deleted member 174749

Deleted member 174749 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw this and it's actually in one of the hosting sites I'm recommending

This is actually the number 1 hosting site I'm considering right now. Aside from cheap prices, they also offer regional pricing. In my country, the cheapest wordpress plan they have is 35 php/month --which is around 0.72 USD

:cry::cry::cry: I knoooow. I really regret buying that business plan. I was new to the whole website building thing, so I just went with what was familiar and convenient. I was already on Wordpress.com, so upgrading just seemed like the next logical step. I'm just gonna finish the months left on the plan and then transfer.

I actually tried Jetpack Premium and WordAds first, but uuugh WordAds suck. I remember seeing my stats say that I've had 100k ad impressions, but only earned $0.50 lmaaao

UntamedS and 01 like this.