Discussion A light hearted questions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leo.d., Mar 16, 2021.

1. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A friend said you get hurt more by your own expectation of someone than their actions. So what do you do? Lower your expectation or accept getting hurt as apart of life?

2. CoupDeFri

CoupDeFri My shadow is my best friend.

Reading List:
    Link
    You will do both of them, because human mind and feeling is fickle, and get over it. Yeah that is life

3. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I say lower your expectations depending on the person you're dealing with. If you whole heartedly believe that a person won't betray those expectations but they still do, then just accept the hurt as it was your choice to expect something of them in the first place. Be flexible~

4. Sayne

Sayne if u read this u are a noob

Reading List:
    Link
    Just don't expect anything at all and u will be fine :5Head:

5. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone gets hurt at some point in life, expectations or not. But for extra measure, don't expect too much from people who aren't wholehearted and genuine towards you. That won't stop anyone from getting hurt though- just barely. Life could frick with you and screw you over, so I think the ability to get back up after being hurt is the safest way to go. Strengthen your mentality and heart. It never hurts to be too careful.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  6. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    less expectations but still expect to get hurt~

7. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Try learning logic and accepting reality as well as not escaping in fiction

8. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Stay flexible and choose whatever you see fit.

In all honesty, having great expectations can hurt both sides. It can put an excessive amount of pressure upon people to do well or score perfectly. It can make others take their efforts for granted. Being expected to score full marks on every exam is tough, especially on a rigorous course. And it equally more when others start brushing off your hard work with, "Oh, it's just x," or if they start labeling the reason as "That's because x is y" or "That's because x has z and I don't."

And yet, this mentality hurts those that place great expectations equally. They can only see the results and not the work put into it, and it draws a line between spectacular others and mediocre me. It develops a mentality of jealousy and a defeatist attitude, diminishing the room to grow. "I can do this" turns into" I can't do this as well" turns into "I can't do this well at all" turns into "I can't do this."

It leads both sides to failure. On one side of the spectrum, people start avoiding things they can't do perfectly by making excuses of polishing their strengths. On the other side of the spectrum, people give a lousy shot before confidently declaring they couldn't do it in the end, just as expected.

Going back to your question, expectations are necessary because they keep the world running. People expect the internet to keep running. People expect that taxi driver to not drive the passengers as well as himself into a shopping center. If you do well in a certain area, people expect you'll do similarly in the future. Imagine a world with no expectations. How would it run if the mailman doesn't deliver parcels, if the teachers are perpetually absent, if your boss is always late when writing your paycheck. The expectations and the responsibility behind them are vital. However, you will need to decide whether your expectations are reasonable or not. Are the expectations you place on others as well as yourself burdens? And do you think those burdens are necessary?

The idea of "avoiding pain" is flawed in and of itself since it assumes you won't ever get hurt in the future. Because big or small, you will suffer. Everyone will suffer. And doing nothing when you are suffering will never get you out of suffering.

What I suggest as the bottom line is to be reasonable. Accept that you will fail, that the people around you will fail, and if you realize you have higher expectations, accept that those reaching your expectations will be few and far between. But don't lash out at someone because they failed at something (I'm looking at all of you sports fans). And make sure to be there for anyone that does fail to help pick them back up, including yourself.

Fulminata likes this.
  9. GREED444

GREED444 [STEP RED SIBLING] [ᏂᏁ][⚓️]

Reading List:
    Link
    even if lower our expectation we will be hurt so we need to be prepared to get hurt and move forward

10. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both. You cater your expectations on a person-by-person basis.

Got someone that "misses your calls" a little too often when you know they're awake/free? Probably don't expect much from them.

Generally give people the benefit of doubt until they prove otherwise.

11. nightbutterfly

nightbutterfly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't have any expectations of someone xD
    Unless you know them long enough and understand their personalities. Have high expectations means you trust that someone even tho just a bit.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes this sometimes that..

13. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    "Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won’t either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up.."
    -louise erdrich

Coffea to Ell likes this.
  14. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Your friend loves to overgeneralise then.

15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to view people I'm not close to as NPCs so their actions are just part of the storyline. As for people who are close, I'm prepared to revert them back to NPCs if they do something that distances them from me. At this point I can only be disappointed in myself.

16. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a cynical person so I won't have to worry about my own expectations of other people :blobcheeky:. It's usually me being surprised at how good a person can be.

17. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Both. Life is not all of one thing or another. Both can be rewarding and tragic.
    Heading into any relationship there will always be expectations. It’s what drives us in the beginning of the relationship. Your always hoping for the best, but like in all things you have to be prepared for the worst. Just remember the image you have may not be the true image of that person. The image you have could be unrealistic. Especially, if you put them on a pedestal. People are not machines and have flaws. It’s a part of being human.
    As to possibly getting hurt. Unfortunately a part of finding love. Is that there is also a chance of being heartbroken.
    But I can say without a doubt it’s worth it.
    Good luck

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  18. anaeia

anaeia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I try not to expect much at all. It's like a mixture of both options where I lower my expectations and accept whatever happens. But it's actually sad to think like that because I became someone who doesn't trust people at all so it's not recommended lol

19. layyu

layyu Adopt me plsss

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd think that this friend doesn't really know me... I have low expectations for everyone and I would only be disappointed if you are on my closest friends list, which are, so far, only three... I can't even get disappointed to them coz I really know them that I would say "As expected of them"... So I think I'll just do the latter than the former... I have high expectations of professionals though, so maybe I'll do both, but will still lean on tye latter coz if ever I really took the former one seriously, I might think all people are potato like me.