Question What's the Ideal Revenge Ending?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 314196, Mar 16, 2021.

?

What's Your Ideal Revenge Ending?

1. Forgiven and forgotten

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Mercilessly killed

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Torture then death

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. Enslavement

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Torture

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Kill their loved ones in front of them

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  7. Why are most of them so brutal?

18 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. Quickly Killed

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Since there are a lot of revenge plot stories out there but most of them don't end well, So I was wondering what everyone thinks would be a fitting end for a revenge plot.

2. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say it depends on the story, and what is actually being avenged. Usually the point of revenge is to make the other side feel your pain. An eye for an eye. It might make the world go blind, but at least you will have company.

Kansuou, Gitami, powwder and 7 others like this.
  3. Isabelle

Isabelle Always in love with potatoes (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Reading List:
    Link
    I think so depending of how the Author describes, almost all of them can be ok to read, I just can't read about rape as revenge. That's the worst and just no no no no :sick::blob_teary:

ch4i, Selviata, RiboseSugar and 3 others like this.
  4. MerciJessi

MerciJessi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if it is a revenge, the worse the better. I would love for 100 to a million times more painful because if it is revenge and it is not over the top or to the maximum of the character capability then you are not doing the justice to yourself (as in the person who is suffering). However some revenge stories are unrealistic which maybe hard to get hooked onto so I prefer that if the story is unrealistic - make it over the top and if it is a realistic story then make it more relatable, if that make sense

5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    None of the options given are the most satisfying. The most satisfying alternative in a revenge story is for the subject to experience the act that causes the need for revenge in the first place. In other words Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth. Of course the satisfaction in revenge stories tends to be superficial and most of the time not really worth it.

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  6. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it depends on the setting. If there is an actual, working, rule of law that deters crime then you can be both more and less aggressive in revenge. So, there's no real need to be overt and direct about it. If there's no law, then killing them off is the best way to both feel at ease and prevent future troubles.

Personally, I'm more in favor of the adage, "The best form of revenge is living well." The dead don't care about you getting revenge, they only care about you living well. The dead are already moving on, so why would you be hung up on an obsession with scumbags? They certainly aren't hung up on you, other than if they think you might cause them trouble.

So, other than neutralizing the scum from causing you trouble, live well and let them constantly be bombarded with your well-off life.

There's a HP fanfiction I like where Snape ends up in prison and is finally up for review if he's okay to be let out. He wants to be allowed to work for the new main potion supplier, since he is a potion's master. Only, it's run by Harry. Sadly, even home-brewing is regulated now after lack of qualified teaching, so Snape can't get a job. It's not even needed for Harry to care about him since he's entrenched himself in all kinds of industries and the Potter name is "everywhere" in daily life and Snape becomes hysterical when he hears the name. Leaving him to forever stay in prison because he's a risk to the public.

That's the best kind of revenge. The casual government worker will help you keep them down if you play your cards right.

7. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i prefer mercilessly killing, for one it shows that the mc no longer cares about that person and it gets rid of any potential annoyances

8. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Payback time, do exactly or similar what did they do to you (the protagonist) back then with plenty of interest

9. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoops I should have provided an example teehee~ and the responses are more brutal then my poll....

10. TRIBAL2199

TRIBAL2199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like deepon said earlier, I think it would depend on what was done, but without any examples, I'd say Overlord (Worker invasion) revenge. It was a little gruesome for what was basically a home invasion, but any one of their fates would be a satisfying ending for most of the revenge stories I read.

11. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh they killed your bestfriend/loved ones in front of you.

[Next time I post a question like this I should think first....]

12. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge in most cases are petty and pointless. The person you would need to seek revenge against doesnt have the same morals as you and likely cares little for the types of things you lost. On the flipside they say the best revenge is leading a happy and fulfilling life despite your antagonist's actions. Something i find dubious at best. Namely because that means the antagonists has some form of vested interest in seeing you suffer.

For me the best form of revenge is Karma. Your actions will be returned to you, be they good or bad. Sure its not much of a deterrent, but if you look at your current life and see nothing but misfortune, one has to wonder what you've done previously to deserve such sorrows.

So from my perspective, in a very real sense that antagonist you are trying to seek revenge against might just be karma biting you on the ass for something youve done previously. Does that mean you should just grin and bear it? Nope, but just remember, revenge is a very slippery slope. Once you start going down that path, finding your way back is a very hard climb.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  13. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it depends on the type of story. If it's back-to-past, I prefer the MC to quickly kill his enemies and go on with his life. If it's not back-to-past, I prefer an eye for two eyes, a tooth for 32 teeth.

14. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh death is a too easy way out; after all, living is such a pain :blobpopcorn:. I'm of the opinion that the best revenge is living well, since it doesn't completely "destroy" the main character in the process (like living solely for revenge/killing) although it's also pretty gruesome to the protagonist too. Recovering from trauma can be the second living hell for the MC, aside from the original trauma :blobsad:.
    Partially agree with @Alvastar 's opinion.

But if it is a brutal revenge that we're talking about.....then I'm more partial of the Wu Zetian's way of dealing with his son's consort.....:blobpeek:

15. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pretty light, i was expecting gf cheating on mc and humiliating him or mc getting his spiritual veins stolen lmao, i been reading too much xianxia

16. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    To the pain!

17. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Torture justabotwork

18. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    So what kind of currency are you asking for the Oni-chan bath water? And is it fresh or....?

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    There isn't really such a thing as an ideal type of ending, it depends on the specific details for each individual story.

20. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s fresh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.