Recommendations Novel with deep story and good world building

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by slimeholder, Mar 16, 2021.

1. slimeholder

slimeholder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading Lord of Mysteries, it is very hard to go back to other novels, especially chinese novels with 0 world building. I want a novel with interesting story and good world building. I am tired of novels with no description of the world or surroundings, and no lore; where the MC mindlessly kills foes and cultivates.

So generally:

1) A novel with good world building & story
    2) Interesting characters
    3) More than 400 chapters or 1k pages (whichever is greater).

Please do not recommend any cliche cultivation novels where the MC travels to the past and seeks revenge or smth. I swear, every chinese cultivation novel I picked up in the last two months has the exact same plot...

2. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  3. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually quite liked Legendary Mechanic for the world-building and plot. The main character is a little one-dimensionally focused on power though, but it was a surprisingly immersive plot and world.

slimeholder likes this.
  4. slimeholder

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it is actually great, I only managed to get half way through, I may pick it up again in a few months tho!

5. slimeholder

Reading List:
    Link
    Daresan likes this.
  6. Secluded Meditation

Secluded Meditation Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forge of Destiny/Threads of Destiny
    Cradle Series
    Worm by Wildbow

Fulminata likes this.
  7. PeepoMrFool

PeepoMrFool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom's Bloodline

8. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/14167/metaworld-chronicles - second chance, MC wakes up in an alternate history, magic modern world. Excellent world building as the author contrasts the methods, magic-tech, history, and locations of this magic modern Earth with what the MC remembers of the old tech-based, mundane Earth. Major story arcs are set in Sidney, Shanghai, and London, along with excursions to other locales. Shanghai has the university and tournament arcs where the MC gets her power ups. Also business empire building starts in Shanghai and the MC going big in London.

9. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom's Bloodline +1
    The Wandering Inn

Despapa69 likes this.
  10. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Daresan likes this.
  11. lonelytree

lonelytree Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Daresan likes this.
  12. khakha

khakha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LADY LIN’S FIRST-EVER JOURNEY TO IMMORTALITY
    https://webnovelonline.com/novel/end6325995941558022123
    ~ Fmc is cultivator in modern time
    ~ fmc is good woman/girl (she is 28 eight years old but unmarried)
    ~ world building is very good :
    - how cultivator live in modern time?
    - why high level cultivator vanished in year 1000 ?, 1000 years ago
    - why earth is described as an abandoned planet?
    - unfinished babel tower and ancient China civil war at the same time? is there history manipulators? Why he/she/they try to do that?
    - describe legend like tower Babylon, dragon palace at dongting lake, Bermuda triangle and manymore
    - the setting is in real world, and tell us real deal like Burma/Myanmar stone gambling, Buddhism monk temple, rong county (city fmc live) and manymore
    - characters?
    Taoist Cultivators, Buddhism cultivators, demonic cultivator, vampires, ancient monsters, humanization plant nonster, special department for cultivators in china, some cultivator family hold power in national level.
    Read this novel like read harry potter. Mysterious person become friend, friend betrayal, enemies and friends hold alliance against national threats, world level mysteries, political power and economic power of cultivators

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    slimeholder likes this.
  13. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    I could recommend Reverend Insanity but I doubt you'd like it though it has the greatest world-building and an actual amazing lore and curiosity behind it.

Despapa69 likes this.
  14. slimeholder

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually tried reading it (I think I stopped after around 1k pages), but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as most people seem to. I don't know tho, maybe it's just not my type of novel.

15. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair.

16. aaachris

aaachris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only xuanhuan novel i can recommend in good faith is “a record of a mortal journey to immortality”. It has the same basics of chinese cultivation novels, but MC is brilliant.

Neither a goody two shoes or arrogant. No instant power up, and he’s very aware of how weak he is. First 1/3 of the novel he keeps a really low profile, to the point of be almost paranoid, but with time he give himself more freedom.

Some early fighter could even be fought but caution is always first in his vocabulary.

The main point if the novel is coherence, MC has his foots on ground, and no absurd distortion of reality happens (as ATG example where a genocide without motive is praised as hero).

On level up systems, 2 novels have my love: Overlord and chrysalis.

Overlord start in the generic gamer bound inside his game, with an extra that the game world apparently overlap with another world.

Chrysalis is very interesting, MC reicarnate as a monster, a Giant Ant, and the story develop surprisingly well, of of my top ranked novels this one.

if a more indepth reading is preferable, then i suggest saxon chronicles of Bernard Crowell (it’s a serie of books, have problably 12 now, but i stopped on 10), but it’s historical and not fantasy.

Daresan likes this.
  18. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes A record of Mortal's journey to immortality, Demon's dairy, Divine Throne of Primordial Blood, death scripture have just enough world building and different feel compared to the rest of cultivation novel. Er Gen's and IEt novel are above average digestible cultivation novels.

Recently read Legend of Swordsman and King of Gods, i seriously doubt Author's writing skill, the novels read like monologue without any worldbuilding. These novels make me appreciate what a true gem is, so sometimes i dive into cultivation junkyard

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  19. DiXanthos

DiXanthos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprisingly, amidst the comedy & strange "romantic but slightly inadequate" shenanigans, Little Tyrant Doesn’t Want to Meet with a Bad End has a lot of good world-building, particularly when it comes to the mysteries that weren't included in the video game the protagonist played with. Things like ancient gods, past civilizations, history of empires, secret organizations operating in the shadows, his own ancestors who awakened a strange power, etc.

The more he uncovers on the ancient past, the more interesting it gets.

20. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Joy of Life and Life, Once Again(Slice of Life)

Battalion likes this.