Not all chapters accepted/processed

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by From the Angel, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. From the Angel

From the Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello~

I posted this in another section first but was directed here so I will ask it again.

I have started working on a novel translation and have been submitting the releases on NU as I upload them. I have noticed that some of the releases have been processed but others have not and I am curious as to why that is. They are all formatted the same way both on the blog where I post them and on the NU release form. The first seven chapter were submitted on the 13th and have yet to be processed/accepted. The chapters I posted on the 15th were all processed/accepted quickly. One of the two I posted today was processed/accepted and the other has yet to be. They all have the same format and the same amount of editing effort put into them.

Originally they were titled without the volume and chapter numbers in them. After posting this in the other location, I went in and changed it so the post titles include the volume and chapter. Since that change just happened, I am not expecting to see results of that yet.

I was told on the other thread that NU should do it automatically but the first seven chapters and the one I added today are still not up on NU.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well...it would help if you told us the group name and the title of the novel. Can't really help without knowing what you're talking about.

AliceShiki and Nom de Plume like this.
  3. From the Angel

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, of course.

I'm working on S.C.I Mystery Series and posting under the group name From the Angel Translations.

Also, I have just seen that the third chapter I posted on my blog today was automatically updated on NU so at least the new ones are working after the title format changes. It's just the one uploaded before the change that have issues.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  4. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    @Parth37955 will get your questions answered for your specific novel, but here are some common issues:
    - the url has a formatting issue
    - the group hasn’t had enough chapters released to have RSS feed connected or RSS feed is broken
    - duplicate chapters were submitted that interfered with each other
    - the chapters violate policy (pure MTL, paywall, password locked)
    - URLs have changed and the links have broken
    - the group and/or Novel needs created before chapters are submitted
    - chapters were somehow caught in the release queue and need reviewed and accepted by a moderator (ex. All manually submitted chapters) which takes time

5. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I looked into it...the reason why the previous chapters were not accepted is because the series already has an active translator: Lillies are flowers. due to this your previous submissions were rejected, while the rest were probably automatically added by mistake.

Here's our policy on that btw: https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/

6. From the Angel

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew that Lillies are Flowers and Nighthawk Works are both working on the first volume right now. I was under the impression that since they were both updating the first volume it would be fine for me to work on the second one.

If I get permission from both of them, would it be possible to get the submissions back up? And if that is the case, how would I prove that I got permission?

7. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not sure how you had that type of misunderstanding of the NU policy, but this project has ACTIVE translator(s). That they are working on a project implies their intent to translate all volumes, including volume 2, unless they both state otherwise. Think about it for a second. Both groups would have to drop their translation at the end of volume 1 to match with you, a stranger who hasn’t coordinated with either of them at all. You have a tough road ahead of you if you expect them to accept that type of scenario. You do not seem to have thought deeply about what will happen to the other translators once they finish volume one, even though it’s possible that your intent may have been to somehow help.

That’s not to say NU is going to tell you that you must stop translating. No one but the author can stop you from that. However, the chapters will not be accepted or advertised by NU while they are in violation of the policy. This policy also protects you if you are the active translator for a project. Above all, it respects the will of the original translator if they do want to work with other groups.

As for your question: there are translators who cooperate on which chapters to translate. This type of agreement is entirely between the translators. There are two forms of cooperation most seem to opt for. Either a single site hosts or both sites host their respective chapters with seamless next chapter links between sites.

However, handling of the novel translation is up to the existing translator(s). You will have to open such discussions up directly with them. They have no responsibility to unilaterally accept you as a member of their project going forward.

As for proof if you can come to an agreement with them both? Usually groups make announcement posts on their respective sites. The Active translators sometimes reach out to us directly as well just to make sure.

Can I ask why you want to translate this particular novel even though it’s already being translated? If you are having trouble finding a novel, you might check out the pickup request forum. There are a lot of novels waiting for some love. :justabotheart:

8. From the Angel

Reading List:
    Link
    I went back and checked the policy again; it says that the rule about the active translator does not apply if I have received permission from the active translator or if I have done at least 50 chapter releases. I reached out the Lilies last night and she was okay with me continuing to work on the second volume. She even shared my link with her readers over discord. I would assume that since we are not linking our work together, then it would not be enough to constitute posting the chapters here.

As for the second exception, if I release 50 chapters according to the raw files, would that allow my chapters to be put on NU?

I wanted to work on this novel specifically because I absolutely loved the first novel and wanted to continue reading it; the story holds a special place in my heart. I read the first novel a long time ago from one translator who did not really edit it too much. That same person is working on the second novel but it is at the same level of editing; it doesn't read easily. Now there are two others working on a amazing translations of the first novel.

I wanted to work on the second novel and beyond as a personal project so that there was at least one easy to read version out there as I knew that I had a lot of time on my hands to work on it. I by no means wanted to step on the feet of the other translators, hence why I reached out to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.