Discussion rich fathers are the worst

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by efo, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efo

efo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now I will give you some characteristics and you will tell me that if there is a father with a good personality with these characteristics in novels. ready?

rich
    famous
    owns a company

because I didn't they are either a bad person or useless and I'm pitying main characters for having a father like that what do you think ?????

( so sorry if my writing is wrong I am from turkey so please forgive me )

2. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are good ones, but those usually either suffer a disaster or are hardly mentioned, simply because no-one wants to read a story about some lucky daddy's boy.
    After all if there is no conflict / drama, there won't be any readers as well.

Dwarkin and efo like this.
  3. craz

craz Peach Manic

Reading List:
    Link
    Movie King Huo Ci! He’s rich, famous, and own his own company. Lol he’s the first character that came to my mind. He’s not as horrible as compare to other protagonist dad. And he did change as the story progress. Overall, I think he’s kinda of cute.

efo likes this.
  4. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought a lot of the main romantic interests in modern day setting novels aimed at hetero women were rich fathers? or should I said, dilfs?

efo likes this.
  5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    To Raise a Soul.

efo likes this.
  6. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, MCs can fall into those categories and while they're not exactly bad they're somewhat absent.

efo and Isabelle like this.
  7. Isabelle

Isabelle Always in love with potatoes (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but they are not exactly good fathers..... They are more a reflex of the misogyny that says woman are the one who cares for the children and he is the one who only plays with the kid and earns the money.... Just a few can scape of that plot and be active at the majority of a father's paper :blobawkward:

efo likes this.
  8. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno, the few I've read seemed to focus on them being actually good fathers. Maybe unable to handle it by themselves, but still in the good category. Although ironically that changes when the MC seduces the fathers, and suddenly they care more about being good hubbies and being spoiled than raising their kid...

Isabelle and efo like this.
  9. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is the entire point. If the MC had a father who was rich, famous, powerful, and a good person then life would be super easy for the MC and there would be no drama. If such a father existed his only reason to exist would be to get killed or something rendering him useless and driving the plot. Romeo and Juliet was successful because their families were against each other, if you took this away it would be 2 people from rich families falling in love, getting married and that's it. it would be boring as shit.

Imagine it. Guy gets reincarnated in another world and his parents are competent, rich, and powerful. the MC grows up with zero hardships, proper training, and all the resources he needs. He is loved by everyone and becomes the most OP person in history because that's what happens to MC's. the end.

craz, Isabelle and efo like this.
  10. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is far from the truth, it depends on the type of story, but to put it simply the father only removes all sources of drama if he is omnipotent, or so powerful that no one no one can oppose him for any reason and even then removing the consequences of the characters mistakes and errors would not be the act of a good parent, decent parents do not produce affluenza kids.

A good rich father does not remove drama from rival companies, or things outside his sphere of influence.

It ca also create sources of drama, if the father is looking to properly nurture and prepare their child for life.

Isabelle and efo like this.
  11. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    You clearly haven't read shoujo novels with villainess noble girls as the MC.

12. powwder

Reading List:
    Link
    but those fathers are all flawed. They allow their daughters to do evil things but will still protect them. This is an incompetent father because he didn’t raise his daughter right and spoiled her rotten for her to become that way.

efo likes this.
  13. powwder

Reading List:
    Link
    When I read the original post I took it as asking why a flawless father doesn’t exist in novels. This would include being so powerful that no one opposes them, but does not include simply letting the child do whatever he wants without consequence since that is a character flaw. Spoiling your kids is how you end up with all the young masters who get shit on by the MC. Thus I tailored my response to a literal flawless father.

While second part about a father not removing drama from competition is true, a flawless father would prepare their son mentally and physically so he has the ability to handle those obstacles. The difference would be that instead of his hard work and quick wit to get him through it was because he received the best training in the world.

14. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read them either? In a lot of "villainess noble girls" stories, the MC is not a real villain, or evil. Heck often the Mc is just perceived to be a villain by those around her, because of their own idiocy and lack of etiquette or honor, or social backstabbing and gossip mongering.

Just look at "The Villainess Is Being Doted on by the Crown Prince of the Neighboring Country", there the Mc did absolutely nothing wrong, but is labeled a villainess because her finance was a cheating bastard, and she had the nerve to tell the affair partner and her fiancé about all the social rules they were breaking, or was mean to the idiots "true love" and spoke harshly to her, no malice, no torture, nothing evil, just following the rules of their society and telling those breaking the rules to follow them. When the "Heroine" and CP were doing things that are scandalous or only acceptable for an engaged couple when he already had a fiancé.

Normally even the villain ones are 100% within the rules and acceptable limits of their societies, but not from our viewpoint which can have drastic differences in values about such things as honor and how to defend it. \
    Then I suggest you start actually reading posts before replying, because there is 100% absolutely no way to rationally come to that conclusion about the question posted. It is at the level of needing to intentionally misread thing the question, since the OP included a list of criteria, and you are claiming you replaced with your own much worse list. This a reads like you realized you got called out on something stupid, and are now trying to make up an excuse why it was not stupid rather then admit that you were wrong.

efo likes this.
  15. powwder

Reading List:
    Link

well it says at the end of the original post that the father is either a "bad person or useless" and someone who gets pushed around in cultivation novels is generally useless and only survives by hugging the thigh of the MC. So even if the father is rich, has a company, and is famous if a father isn't powerful to the point that no one can mess with him then he will get oppressed, pushed down, and shit on by someone powerful until the MC saves him with his plot armor. in fact this happens all the time. how many novels have the MC reincarnate as the trash of a powerful family. his father is usually the patriarch meaning he's rich and famous but ends up being suppressed by elders, a bigger clan, a sect, another town etc to the point where he is virtually useless. then the MC uses his cheat and carries his father and the clan to greater heights

maybe you should follow your own advice and read the entire post before you reply to things. that's why i picked flawless and gave those criteria, because only those would fit someone who isn't useless.

as for the second point, i've read multiple female lead novels and they are all mostly the same. when i say "they were flawed" i meant the fathers of others around them. the fathers of the other people are rich and have power but let their kids do whatever they want not raising them properly which is why they can blatantly harass the female MC (who is normally without fault) with zero repercussions. this would fit under being bad in the original posts criteria since they are sweeping the misdeeds of their children under the rug. in fact the father of the MC would be classified as useless since he can do nothing but let it happen and the MC has to fix it herself. even if he was rich, owned a company and was famous and fit all 3 criteria, he would still be useless because he can't even help his daughter.

efo likes this.
  16. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyways, you've just proven my point that you clearly haven't read those kind of novels.
    Do you not know that the most used cliche in those novels is that the MC is usually misunderstood and actually haven't done a single bad thing?

efo likes this.
  17. powwder

Reading List:
    Link
    you should read my previous reply. the bad fathers are the fathers of all the people around the MC. the people oppressing and bullying the MC have fathers too you know, and the fact that they can do whatever they want without consequence means they weren't raised properly. add to it the fact that they sweep the kids misdeeds under the rug cements the fact they are bad fathers. you forgot to mention that the misunderstood MC is treated like trash by everyone and many of them even know she is innocent and still treat her like shit for one reason or another. it takes a special kind of person to know a person has done nothing wrong but till publicly treat them like trash and spread rumors about them, the kind of person who wasn't taught properly by their parents.

if you really want to get into it, the father of the MC is also flawed as well not because he's bad but because he is useless. He lets injustice happen to his innocent daughter and doesn't have the ability to do anything about it making him useless. he is normally rich or comes from a powerful family but can't do anything because a richer or more powerful person threatens him. then the MC uses her cheat, turns the situation around, and saves the day herself because again her father was useless.

efo likes this.
  18. lazilygrinningcat

lazilygrinningcat Cookie Thief

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd surely want to have a rich daddy

efo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.