Question On getting approached for re-translations

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by kahka, Mar 10, 2021.

1. kahka

kahka Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How comfortable are people with getting asked to have their translations re-translated into a different language?

I'm just a small translator with a tiny amount of readers, but I still occasionally get asked for permission to re-translate the novel I'm translating into another language. On one hand, I don't like the fact that people want to use the translations that I've personally put a lot of effort in (especially for what I would consider a fairly hard novel to translate) to make clear for readers, and the idea of possibly interpreting things further away from the original intent and wording in the process of re-translation doesn't sit good with me as a fan of the novel. On the other hand, I'm aware that there may be some people who simply don't ask, and just take someone else's translation and re-translate into which language they want to.

So while I highly dislike the idea of my translation being used by someone else who didn't have to put in as much effort to understand and appreciate the original novel, I ultimately do not consume media in whatever language they're asking to re-translate in, so if someone really did choose to not ask and use my translation without informing me, I would never really know unless it was brought to my attention. Since they have the courtesy to ask and let me know of their intentions, I do end up saying okay to it.

How is it for everyone else? How do you respond to these kinds of requests?

Fulminata likes this.
  2. LiLi041

LiLi041 【Lucky RNG Halo】【Eternal Townie】

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally would not mind people re-translating my translations into another language (though I'm not a translating pro, so I would have slight concerns about accuracy for chapters I did when I had no idea what I was doing and was just starting out). :blobsweat:

I believe that one reason why people would want to re-translate in the first place is because they don't understand Chinese (or Japanese or Korean), and only understand English and their own primary language- which I think is totally plausible since Asian languages aren't typically "required" courses like English is.

If that were the case, I'd feel like allowing them to use my translations to re-translate is much better than letting them be forced to use mtl or something.

(Not sure about this claim's accuracy though, do check with others on this) :blobicecreamlove:

However, in the end, it is completely up to you whether or not to allow others to retranslate using your translations.

If you don't want to, then don't. Politely reject them and move on. Plenty of other translators also don't allow re-translations off their work, so don't feel like you're forced to accept if it makes you very uncomfortable! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Nezuu, kahka and riririn like this.
  3. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind and give blanket permission.

4. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    forgive me if I've misunderstood anything, but from the post, all I get is that you are assuming the person who is asking to re-translate your translation will spend zero effort, or their effort of retranslating is incomparable to yours.

5. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You missed this:
    I tell people no when they ask me about retranslations for the same reason (further from the original). First, I'm not by any means an expert in the language, so there can be mistranslations. I also sometimes rephrase things or occasionally even change something completely so it will suit an English audience better, and I don't always leave a footnote about it. On top of that, translation is heavily impacted by the translator's interpretation on the original text, so my translation would color their re-translation regardless of if they intended or not. Finally, I don't even have the rights for my translations, so I don't really have the power to give permission anyways...? If they do a translation then whatever but I would rather not authorize (for lack of better word) something that can be very distant from the author's original intentions.

6. kahka

kahka Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I meant was that, for example, there would be references to something made in the original novel that would be missed if not explicitly pointed out in the translation. Not that the re-translation would put in zero effort or that it wouldn't be comparable, no, but the work required would be lessened on the basis that I put the effort to highlight these in the first place.
    Like riririn pointed out, the idea of using my own interpretation of the text as the basis for another translation is discomforting, because I know myself that the way I translate things might not be correct no matter how much I try to stick with what I believe the author intended in the first place.

7. Chiisai-hime

Chiisai-hime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't typically give permission for other things, but I do for novels as long as they don't have ads/profit, state it's a re-translation with credit, and also link to the original raws so their readers can buy and support the author as well. I figure there's really nothing to lose that way, and the author will get some more traffic as well, no matter what the retranslation looks like.

8. coures

coures Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I wouldn't mind other people asking to re-translate a translation. From my point of view, while the original may be tainted further, I'd rather spread the author's work to gain more popularity for them.

9. xean

xean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo it's okay to re-translate. Except if the novel is licensed already. Not all can understand english and it would further spread the novel to other readers.

10. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer that way, rather than people google mtl it, putting it at wattpad and it became top rank.

11. Deleted member 174749

Deleted member 174749 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I mtl edit novels, so it really baffles me when someone asks to retranslate. I feel like it would just stray further from the author's original intent. Although I make sure that my translations are as accurate as possible by consulting native speakers and doing research, I cannot guarantee that they're 100% accurate. I definitely want to say no to retranslations, but considering how many others are retranslating my works without permission anyway, I think it would be better to agree to those who do ask for permission. (Like, I once saw of my translations being retranslated into russian and then posted into wattpad. And I know for sure it was based on my tl, because after pasting it on google translate, it returned wordings that were similar to mine. This also goes to show how this russian retranslator just pasted everything on google translate before putting it into Wattpad, and I really hated that)

By giving them permission, I could also set my own terms. Like, if they're gonna retranslate, then they'll have to put links to the author and how to support them, links to my site, and several disclaimers about how they're so far away from the original raws.

12. 8oni

8oni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far only 1 people asking for permission and I say ok because honestly I am curious how they are going to re-translate my chunky translation that have a lot pics and notes.
    But they never came back with the promised link so... I guess my translation are hard to re-translate lol
    Edit: They have gives me the link, I have to said I have no idea if they do my translation a justice because I can not read it rofl but well, I am just happy my favourite story can be read in another language.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  13. betterdays

betterdays Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just putting this out there, most people won't hesitate to re-translate a series if they feel like it.

One, the only reason they would have to ask 'permission' is if you're the author or publisher of the novel (I'm assuming you're neither.)

In terms of translating it into another language, why would they seek out you, the current translator (eg : from kr to en)? Doesn't make any sense to me and I've been doing paid tling for a decent amount of time now. I have sites steal the translations I do and I don't really care since aggregrator sites are pretty much a must have for moneyrgrubbers and also for readers who are lazy.

If they have a conscience and ask you (for whatever reason) I don't see why not. If they're using your translation since they understand your language and not the native one, it's not like they put any work in to understand the true novel. The only reason I would say no is if I can actually understand the other language they're going to translate it in and know they're terrible in both languages. Still, don't truly understand since it's literally a TRANSLATION. It's important to realize the differences between being the author and the translator. Especially if you're fan translating without having the novel licensed. It is literally none of your business in the first place to translate it (myself included but I still do it, so kinda being a complete hypocrite). But, the logic I'm trying to point out is this : If you're translating 'illegally', who's to talk about morality if someone else wants to translate your translations?

Just food for thought

clover snooze likes this.
  14. LiLi041

LiLi041 【Lucky RNG Halo】【Eternal Townie】

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that's how it works.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that while the author owns the original work, the translator owns their own translation. (whether it's allowed to be posted/shared in the first place is a whole different question)

Even if the author's company comes out and sues, I don't think even they can just take someone else's translation without permission and start using it.

So yes, strictly speaking, just like how translators should be asking the authors for permission to translate (though most, including me, don't), people seeking to retranslate off a translator's work should be asking that translator for permission to re-translate. It's not a question of morality or not. That's just how it is.

Tl;dr:
    • Translator does not have rights to original work, if someone wants to translate off the original work, that's none of their business
    • Translator does have rights to their own translation and can withold permission to retranslate off it if they want to (though people might just re-translate anyway).
    • Re-translator should ask permission from translator too (though they are not the original author/publisher) if they want to re-translate off that translator's work.
    Someone should fact-check me on this, but the above is what I've gleaned from my past experience with the translating community.

8oni and riririn like this.