I did the thing

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by AndyDarren, Mar 21, 2021.

1. AndyDarren

AndyDarren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know that thing people always tell you to do when you write a critical review of a novel? "Go try writing your own" they always say. Well that's what I did.
    After battling through procrastination, a 10-hour day job and pure unadulterated laziness I managed to squeeze out 7, 3 thousand word chapters and when going back and re-reading them, I figured that I could add more depth to my writing. Besides general dialogue improvements and improving my vocabulary and imagery, the main thing I wanna focus on is combat mechanics that would make the reader feel like they're witnessing super high skill gameplay.
    So I came here to ask for recommendations of content that I can study to familiarize myself with basic combat mechanics such as swordsmanship and barehanded CQC. I'm currently taking in what I can from youtube videos in my spare time at work.
    In terms of magic theory, I want to craft that completely on my own and see what sparks I can squeeze out by knocking all two of my braincells together.
    THANKS.

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    gameplay with CQC? Metal Gear Solid 3 style?
    nyahahaha!
    that aside Scene Breakdown from action movie~
    JoeyBslash 3 channel

for book style hmmm nothing pop up atm~

AndyDarren likes this.
  3. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I just saw this, so sorry for replying a week after your initial post. For CQC based on the real world, I suggest looking up historical combat, like HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts). This is particularly relevant if the people are wearing effective armour, as armour was more proliferated throughout Historical Europe than it was through Historical Asia. If the individual's aren't wearing armour, then I suggest using an Asian Martial Art that includes Weapon Combat over HEMA.

Also, remember, the rule of KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is more applicable to Martial Arts than anything else. If the action is too complicated, not only would it be difficult to pull off in a realistic fight, but it would also be challenging to remember to utilise in a stressful situation, like live combat.

Apart from that, for some specific information on weapons, in particular, I suggest looking at Skallagrim and Shadiversity on Youtube. Skallagrim actively participates in HEMA, and has a fair amount of video's on historical weaponry and combat, particularly focusing on the Vikings and the pre-medieval period where their raiding parties were common and devistating. Shadiversity has a produced a significant number of video's focused on the later periods, focused primarily on the Medieval Weaponry and Combat of the English and French.

4. primaryweapon

primaryweapon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if we are speaking on martial arts the first thing you should probably learn or dive into in my opinion is anatomy figure out how the body works. Punches, kicks, throws, how they are delivered and where they all land on the human body is relevant in how the body moves and works.

(Anatomy is relative to how your body also reacts from external influences like fighting on a shaky ship in the middle of the ocean)

From there you create cause and effect and choregraph the necessary elements to make your close quarter combat high level. This is where martial art styles come into play but keep it simple and realistic unless you're able to leave the realm of realism with a specific kind of tact. Example a triple spin kick in the air is virtually impossible (I might be wrong and if I am then switch to a quadruple spin kick) but you can add something like into your combat if your story has the grounds for it to get creative like that.

5. demongordon

demongordon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend look for some famous books that have alot of martial arts on it, some classic of wuxia like legend of the condor heros have their fair share of fightscenes, while most xianxia books is all about fight with magic weapons. However I would say to notice that most of the time the description aren't move by move unless is a extreme situation like dodging a assassination attack, how much you describle your fight is a difficult concept because it may either become confusing or too vague.

I particually enjoy magic theory, the difference on the warlock of magus world or daludalu magic system was a breath of fresh air or the relative stale genere of cultivation types.

However, depending on what kind of story you are going magic theory can be a bottomless pit not dissimilar to worldbuilding if you start to think too deep on how the balancing issues work. That shouldn't detract from making a good story, even if is more focused on exploring the world and the magic system, there is still need to keep writting.

Also there is some books for screen writting out there like "robbert mckee: story" that does break the story in interesting points that maybe at least one of two can help better fleshout your story and character.

Last edited: May 6, 2021