Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Deleted member 304540, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I've liked the first Jurassic Park movie for a long time. It's one of my childhood favorite movies. The two sequels weren't that good though if I'm honest.

I haven't read the books they're based on but would like to read them at some point. I heard they're good and that the second book is way better than second movie.

I also liked the first Jurassic World movie and thought it was pretty nice action movie. I had mixed thoughts about Fallen Kingdom.

What do you think about the Jurassic Park franchise?

otaku31 and Kefie like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I begged and pleaded to be allowed to watch Jurassic Park because of how much I loved dinosaurs... I ended up traumatized for years. I had nightmares for several months straight. I took me three years before I watched it again, and made my peace with it. I have never watched another Jurassic movie and in fact, last year when my FIL put one of the World’s on when I was visiting, I left the room. I’m at a point in my life where I know the Jurassic movies can’t traumatize me, but I just can’t watch them. And won’t. There’s other movies that made me scared as a kid and gave me nightmares, but nothing on the scale of traumatization as Jurassic Park. I know that other kids had a different experience, and I always felt kinda ashamed of my reaction, but I felt what I felt.

Deleted member 304540 likes this.
  3. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nyahahaha! :blob_ghost:
    [​IMG]

4. Deleted member 304540

Reading List:
    Link
    Aw, that's too bad. I think it depends on the age you watch it. *pats* I was very young when I saw Jurassic Park for the first time and found it kinda scary. Looking back they got away with some gruesome stuff for a movie with kids in main roles... I understand why someone could get traumatized. I ended up liking Jurassic Park a lot and have re-watched the movies few times. I still like the adventure and of course the dinosaurs.

I need to find the books so I can read them so I can compare them to the movies.

Anra7777 likes this.
  5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    QAQ
    My mom used to tell me that my dad read the first book long before the movies ever came out and that it gave him nightmares (while he was an adult). Guess it’s genetic. :blobsweat:

6. Deleted member 304540

Reading List:
    Link
    It's understandable, I have heard that books are rather gruesome. No idea if they're more so than the movies though. :blobsleepless:

Anra7777 likes this.
  7. Ghost_of_a_Witch

Ghost_of_a_Witch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jurassic Park is a love-hate movie for me. I love the first film and it's also one of my favorite movies but I found it damn scary as a kid (and let's face it, the situation is not much better decades later QAQ Although it's not the film that is so scary, but my overactive imagination for a couple of nights after watching it.) I agree that the sequels weren't that good; I liked the ending of the 2nd one and that's about it.

Jurassic World, I was very pleasantly surprised by. I wasn't expecting a fourth installation to be that good to be honest, although it might have to do something with it's plot being basically the same as that of the first one. My only issue with it--if it can even be called that--would be the timeline of the movie, I just think it would have been a nice touch if the events took place 22 years later, instead of 20.

My feelings are mixed about the Fallen Kingdom as well. I actually went to watch it in the cinema when it came out, but I wasn't that enamored with it. My biggest impression was that the indoraptor was the most expensive and fugliest gargoyle available in the franchise-verse.

I'm very much looking forward to the third Jurassic World movie though. The pattern so far had been the plot of the JW films matching the plot of the JP film with the corresponding number, and I'm curious how they'll be able to do that with the third one, or if they'll be finally breaking away.

8. Deleted member 304540

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you on every point! The first Jurassic Park movie is the best. Jurassic World indeed had the feel of Jurassic Park and was neatly done. Fallen Kingdom... I think the second half of the movie didn't work as well as the first half (and it was a bit odd that there was such a clear divide with the parts). I liked some elements of it, in some scenes it felt like a horror movie but overall it fell a bit flat. And all raptors in that movie were weirdly handled...

I'm interested where they go from the ending of Fallen Kingdom with Dominion. Just watched the trailer today. I look forward to the new movie too. Let's see when I can actually watch it though :blobsweat_2:

Ghost_of_a_Witch likes this.
  9. Ghost_of_a_Witch

Ghost_of_a_Witch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't agree more with you on that evaluation; Fallen Kingdom really felt like I watched two movies in one go. Although I liked the first part taking place on the island, by the time the film ended the mess the second part was made me totally forget about it and that I even liked something in the movie:blobsweat: So as you said, the entire thing just ended up being flat... (I'm still laughing at them doing a literal "laser raptor" though :D)

O.O I didn't know there was already a trailer for Dominion...I better go watch it! I also hope it won't get pushed back any more because of covid, but at least the shooting is already done for it and it's in post production stage.

Edit: Wow, did I see it right that some of the main actors from the original Jurassic Park will be back?! Now I'm really excited for Dominion's debut! From the trailer I'd say they are keeping to the pattern since in JP3 totally unrelated people were caught up in the aftermath, and now the basic situation seems to be the same. The ante was just upped to word level instead of keeping the mess limited to a small, isolated island. But let's wait to see the movie first...(I'm actually impressed by the writers of the JW films because at a second glance it's obvious that they are "reusing" the plots from JP, but each still feels like their own movie and not just a copy. Although it won't be my favorite, Fallen Kingdom was good still in that aspect despite the 2nd half being too dominant.) And the big question remains: Will we be introduced to a new breed of "raptor" just to add to the chaos on top of everything?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 1st is good & very much fall in love w/ the raptors in that movie
    2nd is so-so while the 3rd just meh
    4th one haven't watched it, too busy to watch when it got out & too lazy to watch it now
    At least it wasn't as bad as mine, watched the 1st Evil Dead when I was a toddler, can't handle horror stuff until I got to university (^^i)

11. Deleted member 304540

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad that they have some JP actors returning, they will definitely be a good add on. I'm definitely hopeful that Dominion will be good but we'll see. I like that it seems to begin right after Fallen Kingdom. The raptors are the stars of the movies so there will be at least some. There might be new breeds as I think all movies have introduced a new dinosaur. I look forward to more trailers that would reveal a bit more. I agree it's too early to tell but let's hope for the best! :blobsmile:

I agree with you on 1-3. Jurassic World is worth watching, I recommend it.

12. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I rewatched the first 1993 movie just yesterday, but I got bored on the first 5 min. I'm way too used to 7-30 sec entertainment to enjoy old movies.

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The first film is pretty good, the second I see as something of a guilty pleasure and the third is ok I guess.
    Never bothered to watch the Jurassic World films so can't really say about those, although I doubt I would like them much.
    All that said even if I like the first film I typically don't enjoy rewatching it much since I read the books which I feel are much better and there are changes even in the first film that really annoys me.
    The lawyer character in particular is much more interesting in the book as in the film they just merged the character with another and killed him off early.