Discussion Mentally handicapped chinese novel translators

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Mar 23, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    The middle-aged man reported factually.

“Saint-tier?”

Jiang Wei started. Because the 1-star great teacher examination didn’t involve combat, he had no idea how high Sun Mo’s combat strength was. However, he didn’t expect the middle-aged man’s evaluation of Sun Mo to be so high.

I've seen this in a few chinese translated novels, It's "Startled", get it f*ckn right.
    Stop going full retard!

Spell startled right, it's not started, it's startled!

2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Lissi and riririn like this.
  3. Mount Tai Unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    Never encountered started in such a sentence in any english books in my entire 26 years of living on earth before reading it in a translated chinese novel, it's an anomaly and a retarded way to convey being startled.

4. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe read more.

Gitami, Lissi, MidstNost and 7 others like this.
  5. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That someone else has a better grasp of English than you do doesn't make them the one who is wrong.

riririn likes this.
  6. Mount Tai Unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    Read more? Care to provide any examples of started being used in some english books? educate me.

7. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry. Not a teacher. Not qualify to educate anyone. So add one more task. Do your own research + read more.

riririn likes this.
  8. Mount Tai Unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    So you can't provide any examples? Maybe, you need to read more?

9. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    The english language is a mish-mash abomination of many languages. This is why i find grammal Nazis such insufferable pricks. They know the language was kludged together much akin to Frankenstein's monster, yet take a perverse pleasure in insisting it's a supermodel.

Blitz, 0000000, Ddraig and 2 others like this.
  10. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I never stop reading.

11. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, every major dictionary includes this definition of started:

Cambridge:
    start verb (MOVE SUDDENLY)
    [ I ]
    to move your body suddenly because something has surprised or frightened you:
    He started at the sound of the phone.

Dictionary.com:
    verb (used without object)
    to begin or set out, as on a journey or activity.
    to appear or come suddenly into action, life, view, etc.; rise or issue suddenly forth.
    to spring, move, or dart suddenly from a position or place: The rabbit started from the bush.
    to be among the entrants in a race or the initial participants in a game or contest.
    to give a sudden, involuntary jerk, jump, or twitch, as from a shock of surprise, alarm, or pain: The sudden clap of thunder caused everyone to start.
    to protrude: eyes seeming to start from their sockets.
    to spring, slip, or work loose from place or fastenings, as timbers or other structural parts.

Merriam-Webster:
    Definition of start
    (Entry 1 of 3)
    intransitive verb
    1a: to move suddenly and violently : SPRING started angrily to his feet
    b: to react with a sudden brief involuntary movement started when a shot rang out

Also, bonus etymology:

Old English *steortian, *stiertan, Kentish variants of styrtan "to leap up" (attested only in Northumbrian past participle sturtende), from Proto-Germanic *stert- (source also of Old Frisian stirta "to fall, tumble," Middle Dutch sterten, Dutch storten "to rush, fall," Old High German sturzen, German stürzen "to hurl, throw, plunge"). According to Watkins, the notion is "move briskly, move swiftly," and the Proto-Germanic word is from PIE root *ster- (1) "stiff."

From "move or spring suddenly," sense evolved by c. 1300 to "awaken suddenly, flinch or recoil in alarm," and by 1660s to "cause to begin acting or operating." Meaning "begin to move, leave, depart" (without implication of suddenness) is from 1821. The connection probably is from sporting senses ("to force an animal from its lair," late 14c.). Transitive sense of "set in motion or action" is from 1670s; specifically as "to set (machinery) in action" from 1841.​

You're the one claiming it's not a word, maybe try doing some of your own legwork? I remember the Oxford-English Dictionary actually provides actual literary examples with their definitions, so maybe check there. You need a library/university affiliation to access it though.

(For the record, I've seen "start" used in this way multiple times in literature, but I was an English major.)

Gitami, Lissi and riririn like this.
  12. Mount Tai Unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you're an english major, could you provide some examples of english novels using started? You should know a few and I would be interested in reading them.

13. KurouDaijuji

Reading List:
    Link
    Your logic is so badly flawed it doesn't count as logic.

The fact that you find a usage unusual enough to remark on doesn't in any way obligate anyone else to do so, let alone remember where they have seen that usage before, especially if we don't find it remarkable...

Gitami, Sephi-chama, Blitz and 3 others like this.
  14. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't just expect folks to pull literary references out of nowhere like a hat trick. It's been years since I was in college. But, for the record, I think "started" is more commonly used in literary fiction, like the ones usually taught in general education English courses in high school/college.

For instance, Joyce uses it in Ulysses:
    The horses he passed started nervously under their slack harness. He slapped a piebald haunch quivering near him and cried:
    —Woa, sonny!​

Samuel Beckett uses it in Waiting for Godot:
    VLADIMIR:
    (feebly). All right. (Estragon sits down on the mound. Vladimir paces agitatedly to
    and fro, halting from time to time to gaze into distance off. Estragon falls asleep.
    Vladimir halts finally before Estragon.) Gogo! . . . Gogo! . . . GOGO!
    Estragon wakes with a start.​

F. Scott Fitzgerald uses it in The Great Gatsy:
    At this point Miss Baker said: “Absolutely!” with such suddenness that I started — it was the first word she uttered since I came into the room. Evidently it surprised her as much as it did me, for she yawned and with a series of rapid, deft movements stood up into the room.​

And that's it for my hat trick, though I'm sure there's more.

Fun exercise for you: google "classic english literature pdfs" and ctrl+f "started". You'll encounter this usage quite a bit.

15. Mount Tai Unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    That's interesting, I guess I'll have to start reading some older novels but they're products of their times, hardly any of the stuff I find interesting in todays novels wouldn't be caught dead being published back then.

16. GettingACold

GettingACold Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it'd be great if you didn't start off by calling a group mentally handicapped and regarded? You know, before you get your facts straight.

Lissi likes this.
  17. Mount Tai Unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    Half the chinese translators currently are mentally handicapped with their machine translation quality, so it isn't exactly a lie..

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    classic example word meaning faded?
    less used on certain occasion may lead to such thing hence dictionary is good thing~
    from new word to using other word to express same meaning can make such thing happen similarly a word can gain new meaning, usually start as slang~
    example word that have new meaning..... dum dum dum Karen....
    11405.png

19. KurouDaijuji

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, I read somewhere once that "Common English" was recognized as having close to 600,000 words, of which most native speakers could be expected to be somewhat familiar with a bit short of 400,000 (& insofar as English has an "official" lexicon, as recognized by linguists, lexicographers, & Dictionary publishers, there were over 1 million, including specialty uses such as science & engineering).
    So the OP's lack of familiarity with a word that is still in use, if not particularly common (& probably not amongst their generation) isn't really proof of anything, not even their being maleducated.
    The arrogance displayed in that OP OTOH, suggests that not only are they maleducated but also probably have a deficiency of learning comprehension (not the correct way to say what I want to say, but I'm not really familiar with politically correct terminology for most things).

teno likes this.
  20. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yall this man confusing an adjective with a verb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.