Resolved Is this considered sniping?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by m__a, Mar 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've a question.
    So, for a while now, there's a novel our group wanted to translate, we have been considering even translating again from zero because the previous translation is barely edited or is not as understandable.

The novel hasn't been updated since 09/11/20. Altho the previous tl said they would be taking a time out. We did contact them about this, and a month ago they said they would update "soon". However, a month has already gone by, and we'd really like to translate the novel.

If after this month they haven't yet updated, and it's been on hiatus for a long while now (seems like it's gonna continue this way for more time). If we pick it up from where they left it at, would we be sniping?

Just wanted to ask for opinions as we wouldn't like to do something bad.
    Thanks!!

Ashlyn Rose likes this.
  2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    contact them again.
    which novel is it?

3. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, sounds about right. The novel is The Baby Isn't Yours.
    Thanks!

4. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you start from the very beginning, then they really can't call it sniping since NU policies don't disallow competition and would list anything that's a retranslation from the very beginning of the novel. Plus, it'd be good to establish your own reader base for the novel.

riririn and m__a like this.
  5. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! I wasn't aware of this, I'll talk to my group about this as well!

6. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, NU allows retranslations. I mean if someone wanted to retranslate a sh*tty MTL and it'd be considered "sniping", then what's the justice to this world. Anyway, contacting the translator is the "polite" thing to do, but come on it's been a year so you should just translate from where they dropped off or from the beginning. IIRC, NU lets you take over a translation as long as there haven't been 2 releases in 1 month.

From NU Policy:
    Novel Updates will not add your releases if:
    There’s an active translator for the novel. An active translator is a translator who has released at least two releases within the past 30 days [...]
    This rule does not apply to you if any of these applies to you:
    If you start translating the series from the beginning. No, you cannot translate chapter 1 then do a chapter jump to chapter 50. Your chapter 1 would be accepted while your chapter 50 wouldn’t.

Hope this helps. https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/

7. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!! I think we'll pick up from where they left it at, and see if we retranslate again!!

hngyxn likes this.
  8. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But you just said that the earlier chapters were barely edited or was not understandable. Perhaps it would be better to just translate from scratch?

riririn likes this.
  9. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We will post chapter 18 first to claim the project, and our tl is on vacations from school so she'll be working on the first chapters. So it will be translated from scratch, we just wanted to claim the novel.

hngyxn likes this.