Discussion A Chinese Song/Singer You Could Never Go Wrong With

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MMWO, Mar 25, 2021.

1. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dipped my hands on English, Korean, and Japanese music. If you ask me an English singer you could never go wrong with, I'd say Taylor Swift. Korean? BTS and Blackpink. Japanese? Yoasobi. Now I'm about to venture into Chinese music. What's a Chinese song or singer you could never go wrong with.

2. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jolin Tsai

Rumby and Snowbun like this.
  4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

:)
    Chinese singer, right? lol

Rumby likes this.
  5. etsuhun

etsuhun Mer-Mer-Mer-Merm4id!

Reading List:
    Link
    Karen Mok, Lexie Liu, VaVa, Vinida, Karencici

6. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    F4.

7. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate you so much with every fiber of my being since after you mention them, a certain song kept popping in my head that i can never remove....

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  8. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    which one? I only know those from meteor garden.

9. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone has to know how to sing Teresa Teng's songs, no matter if you are of Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Hong Kongese, or Vietnamese background. Everyone also has to know how to sing Fei Yu-ching's songs. You should also familiar with Jay Chou (Zhou Jielun), who has a huge variety of songs, but I don't like him. You should also be sort of familiar with Wu Bai's songs. Note these are Taiwanese. Wu Bai has the famous "Norwegian Forest," which has been adapted by many people, the most famous of which is by a woman (whose name I forgot but her version is the most played instead of the original).

Mayday has surprisingly survived censorship, but has transitioned into pop songs instead of their rock origins. However, this is not a "boy band" but a regular band. Any other rock band you can just ignore because they have all been censored. You can find some of these punk or ska or visual kei bands still on YouTube.

For solo artists, I prefer Taiwanese. Jolin Tsai is pretty good and fun. She has changed her style adapting to the times, so you can experience the trends in singing in Chinese language music. She also sings some songs that poke fun at women stereotypes. Her music videos are wacky like Lady Gaga. Show Lo is really amazing and pushes the limit of what he can do, but also follows trends. His music videos are fun. G.E.M. is a Hong Kong singer whose songs I don't really like (but she became famous for her adaption of the classic "Xi Huan Ni" song on a competition); she used to sing only in Cantonese, but with her focus in the mainland Chinese market, she has changed to Mandarin. But her older songs aren't that great, so don't bother with her older stuff. Her newer stuff is more polished and curated to follow pop trends. Her voice is amazing for ballads and singing. I wish she would do rock songs.

For new-ish people in mainland China, Hua Chenyu is a popular (although it's now been 10 years), but he doesn't have a big discography. He is mostly known for adapting songs. He is in two really big variety shows as a permanent member, and one of the judges in a popular singing competition. He is well known for his rapping, but does quiet a few ballads. I actually recommend some of the singing competition shows because they do show older singers and new singers and what had been popular songs in the Asian sphere, many of which are important classics that the entire Asian sphere knows (led by Hong Kong and Taiwan and Japan).

There have been a few boy bands but they didn't last as long and most have disbanded or are quiet, with a few doing a couple solo songs, but little activity. Off the top of my head, older ones can be Fahrenheit (Taiwanese, terrible but had one famous song), MIC Nan Tuan (I think these got censored eventually for promoting excess sex; they were sort of like a SHINEE but didn't really take off because the timing was not good).

Rap artists like MC Hot Dog are pretty good, and does a lot of collaborations. The Taiwanese rappers are pretty good. I also recommend a group called G.U.T.S. which is a collaboration of very good individual rappers. You can find all their discography on You-Tube.

The issue is in China lyrics are by law required to be reviewed and approved if they are to be sung publicly. This can limit interesting songs, leaving most with catchy beats and melodies but boring lyrics that aren't ballads. So I dislike a lot of songs from Mainland China which are just catchy beats and regurgitation. Or similar sad songs, and more regurgitation. The one thing with songs from mainland China, you will typically not encounter much stuff that involves rock music or melodies influenced by rock music. The influence of rock music is pretty low due to political efforts that "rock=bad". Most of the rap in China is mixed with another genre, so is more like hip hop. Rap is present in most songs as an accompaniment.

So unfortunately I can only recommend mostly Taiwanese, but because many Taiwanese and Hong Kong singers have moved their focus into the mainland China market. Most Chinese singers haven't made it out of China if their original market was China.

Oh, and ignore any of Kris Wu's rapping. /rolls eyes

MMWO, asriu and Starfox Stellar like this.
  10. Atomu

Atomu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Andy Lau
    Bii
    Jay Chou
    JJ Lin
    S.H.E
    Jackson Wang
    Namewee
    Joker Xue
    Nicholas Teo

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Rumby and lailai like this.
  11. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Highly recommend all on this list! (Except for S.H.E. and Jay Chou; their songs are classic but I don't like them.)

12. Atomu

Atomu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I barely know S.H.E beside Ella but I have heard that they're a well-know group in China so I guess you really can't go wrong with them

13. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Teresa Teng, she's a really well-known singer and her songs are pretty famous too! :cookie:

Like 甜蜜蜜, for example:

14. Starfox Stellar

Starfox Stellar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lil Ghost, Xiao Zhan, Wang Yibo, Li Ronghao, Zhao Lusi(?)
    I mainly listen to playlists so I can't exactly pinpoint a specific singer

15. manga2000

manga2000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhang Bichen
    Joey Young
    Zhou Shen
    Faye Wong
    Jane Zhang
    A-mei Chang
    Queena Cui
    Ren Ran
    Tia Ray

Rumby and nightbutterfly like this.
  16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  17. RenAshdoll

RenAshdoll God of the Wired

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhou Shen

MMWO and c.decora like this.
  18. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
  19. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    My mother was often listening to her songs on the cd player while I was growing up. :blobpeek: Good stuff. :aww:

20. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    T-thats basically them.... I still remember my sister singing to it while I was sleeping and now everytime I hear it, it reminded me that I always acted like a teenage girl whose so into that drama. It also reminded me that I also been into watching barbie and any girl's activity because my sister has the only money to buy those and we were stuck to watching them. You just made me realize why haven't I turned into gay and be straight instead.

Shiki likes this.