A novel where realms are consistent (question/discussion/rant)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AncestorRebellion, Mar 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AncestorRebellion

AncestorRebellion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, so I don't normally ask for novel recommendations but is there any xianxia novels where realms are consistent? I'm on about when authors claim "the realm of Superme Godly Demon Monarch Hyper Dream Immortal is very hard to achieve and not many are in this realm" when, in actuality, there are like a trillion young masters waiting to bombard the protagonist for no reason whatsoever. I'm on about when a trillion-year-old cultivator offends the protagonist, is said to be "one of few" and after killing this cultivator, hundreds of people around the same realm as that trillion-year-old cultivator try to fuck the protagonist up.

So far, I have only read one novel where realms are somewhat consistent and that's in "Martial God" (He Yiming MC), the protagonist doesn't see an unlimited amount of cultivators at the xiantian realm for no reason whatsoever. Logically speaking, if it is harder to advance to the next realm, there would be less people in that realm, not more. In order to make content, the authors keep introducing more realms for the protagonist to smash through and, in turn, more people at that realm. I just don't like that concept.

This leads to my definition for "OP protagonist" being different from others. For example, some think that for a protagonist to be defined as "OP" they must be able to kill higher realmed individuals which I think is pure nonsense. "OP" is a mix of status and power. When a low realm protagonist gets absolutely mocked by young masters every second about his realm being low and him, as a result, being weak - I find that condescending. I know that this protagonist can fight 10 realms above himself but what's the use when he gets mocked for even being alive? The author only does this "foundation is necessary" bullshit to keep the protagonist in conflict and keep the readers engaged. Think about it this way - how often do you see a protagonist beat someone up that is a lower realm than them? Every protagonist can fight someone a higher realm than them - but what about the lower realm denizens? Do they just pop out of existence? Where the fuck did they all go when the MC advances one stage above them - hello?

Anyhow, rant over. Any novels where the protagonist faces people below his realm for a change? Where realms are consistent?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While the term OP doesn't hv a fixed definition, the most accepted definition is being too strong compared to the standard power levels of the series. And that's what you are likely to get when you have a story tagged as such.

3. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Have Refined Qi For 3000 Years!

In this one not even the tao( heaven) is as strong as the mc..
    So yeah.. a super overpowered mc that is the oldest cultivator on the mortal plane with the power to trample both the immortal plane and the heaven

4. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    The way these novels work is like a video game. The mini bosses of one map are just normal tier mooks on the next. If bunch of same level maps feed into single higher level (applies for the next higher level map and so on), then all it makes sense. Kinda. Only when the population numbers are ridiculous though. Even a fraction of percent when it comes to general population numbers that these authors claim adds up when all these same level ‘maps’ congregate.

If anything, I think the complaint should be towards the general lack of maturity or IQ degradation seen in everyone except MC. When a 20 year and 2 million year old both act like the same retarded young master, despite the difference in age, strength, experience, etc, then there’s a problem.

Setting that aside the actual answer is authors are just copy pasting templates and changing around a few names and descriptions. Both from their own stories and the general genre. So just bad writing in general. MC has to constantly ‘fight the heavens’ and their oppressors (metaphor for something?) or some bullshit so they can never relax in their hometown and slowly level up.

AncestorRebellion likes this.
  5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    if anyone tells you Tales of demons and gods. They are lying through their teeth.
    also. most of the authors make a short story at start and drag it on further. especially if it earns money. so that's why it is hard to find anything decent

7. AncestorRebellion

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed there but there are also other definitions for OP which I respect more than just "fighting above realm". If the requirement for getting an "overpowered protagonist" tag on a novel was just fighting above one's realm, every xianxia novel would have that tag - which they don't.

Fights above his realm and is constantly underestimated. There are three others like it which have been TL'd and dozens more in China which haven't been TL'd.

Kind of funny how a communist country can have such capitalist thoughts. Haha. One man possessing lots of power? It seems that some Chinese citizens have their thoughts locked up.

Interesting but very short - I will be sure to check them out.

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  8. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China is more of a authoritarian country than a communist country. Hench the strong overlooks the weak while weak lay in submission.

9. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, honestly every Xianxia is pretty much the MC railing against authority and achieving freedom through strength. Avoiding people who constantly abuse said authority and power is also very ubiquitous. The fact that most authors do this? Well doesn’t that say something?

10. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if you are looking for cultivation hierarchy then - maybe A Record Of A Mortals Journey To Immortality or Renegade Immortal might suit you. Wang Lin of RI is pretty OP per say but he uses his brains too. So there isn't that blood pumping thump you get say when a MC does something or defeats someone impossible.

For me, Li Qiye of Emperor's Domination is true OP. World might get destroyed, countless people might try to kill him but Li Qiye at the end of the day stands strong. For they are not able to reach apex.

11. AncestorRebellion

Reading List:
    Link
    The Chinese try to "liberate" themselves against being constrained by a world which doesn't accept no-talent; pretty sure there is some metaphorical message being portrayed.

I've read all three novels; I like them but I wouldn't necessarily say they faced people below their realm. Wang Lin always has the laws advantage, fighting those a few stages above him, A Record of a Mortal's Journey does, indeed, have some moments where he seems normal but the latter half of the novel when he reaches the deity transformation realm reverts to being a typical xianxia novel. Li Qiye... I mean, didn't he fight someone at realm 7 when he had no cultivation? All these protagonists get underestimated and chased at some point in their respective novels (apart from Qiye because he's special).

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  12. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the answer is simple actually. the amount of people in a realm and the quality of the realm increase with the size of the population and quality of the environment. for example a town with the smallest population and shittiest environment might have many pulse condensation cultivators but very few Houtian cultivators. A small sect that governs thousands of towns and has more resources and better environment will have many Houtian cultivators but very few Xiantian cultivators. A large sect that governs thousands of small sects with again better resources and environment will have many Xiantian cultivators but very few Revolving Core cultivatorss. the top powers with the best resources and environment will have many Revolving Core cultivators but very few Life Destruction cultivators. this leads to the very few peak experts who are at the pinnacle of strength and power and they are usually the MC's final boss.

As for there was an ancient ancestor who was at a certain realm then a bit later there are thousands of people at that realm, that's also easily explained. the ancient ancestor was trash. he was talented for the area he was in but compared to everyone and the big picture he was useless trash. the ancient ancestor of a small sect would be weaker than an elder of a large sect. that's the entire point. since the story is about a MC getting stronger and his journey through cultivation meeting a trash ancient ancestor when the MC hasn't developed properly is a legit threat. once the MC surpasses that level then of course the ancient ancestor would be cannon fodder.

finally people mocking the MC who can fight way above his realm for being weak....that's because he is. Insects can lift many times their body weight with the record being some beetle that can lift 200 times its body weight or something. in terms of strength it would be a genius while humans can barely lift their bodyweight and at best 2x their bodyweight making humans far less talented. so what in practical terms we humans can crush the beetle with a single finger regardless of how talented it is. if the MC can fight Xiantian cultivators while in Houtian, so what. in the eyes of a revolving core he's just as weak and helpless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.