LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another week, another period of no new translated chapters.
    It's so sad, that i won't even meme on yall with a Dio refference

2. Acidburnsage

Acidburnsage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How much do Washington teachers get paid? At least 60k? To work 185 days of the year? It's fair.

I went to school... Busted my ass.. I work around 240 days a year + overtime and on calls etc.. I make 90k and work in the water/wastewater industry. You could make the change too, but I doubt that you're willing to work hard :)

3. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Teachers do plenty of work outside of school days and school hours, well the good ones do.
    The "they only work 9-10 months a year" mentality is pure ignorant BS (my brother and several relatives work in education, I have seen the hours they can need to pull during those 9-10 months)

4. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone is ignorant to the plight of everyone else. And since our civilization is designed so that everyone has some kind of complaint to make, we are generally too busy practising WhatAboutism to fix anything.

That's why you should reject humanity and become monke. MONKE!

DeirdreH likes this.
  5. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As @sjmcc13 said, teachers work far more hours than what is actually listed in their job description. You say you work overtime? Teachers don't get overtime.
    They are given work that needs to be done and a one hour planning session each day to do that work (if we're talking about secondary schools). Unfortunately, that planning session is also for planning out future class material, answering emails, grading test and projects, printing out the day's class materials, and even subbing in for another class (because the schools are too cheap to pay for proper substitute teachers). One hour to do all that isn't enough. The only time you'd be able to 'sneak' more time is while the students are taking a test... which means you now have even more paperwork to do. So you have to work (unpaid) outside the specified hours just to not fall behind.

I don't know where you are getting 185 days from, that's only for students. Teachers are required to return a month before school restarts and only begin their summer break about half a month after all the students have left. So that's only one month of summer break, which is an advantage to being a teacher. (185 + 31 + 14 = 230 day)

So congratulations! By your numbers, you work 10 days more and are paid 30k more! That's a lot of hard work! (y)

Of course, that's not counting all that overtime pay you get for going beyond your specified hours... which teachers don't get.

6. Acidburnsage

Acidburnsage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a glut of people wanting to be teachers...they could always do something else for more pay. You don't go into a profession knowing your pay etc and then complain about it. The water/ wastewater industry needs people and pays more.... They could always change profession. They would lose that normal week and hours.... Might have to do something that requires physical work...might have to work nights)weekends..

My uncle is a physics teacher in highschool... He was in construction, became a rocket scientist, and then retired to teach... Now making 85k.

My point is: don't complain about your choices, do something else.

lohwengk likes this.
  7. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You rich bastards ;)
    I only get 21k in year and after removing all taxes my bank account gets 12k :(
    In my country to get 60k would mean you are rich. Because member of the parliament gets 42k in year (basic pay without additives). And he just need to press buttons randomly all day if he don't have anything better to do and come to work :whistle:

8. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    That is so much worse then where I live. But you seem to have done the math wrong, as you forgot to account for weekends in those days, so it should closer to be 185 + 20 + 10 = 215

Here there are 12 Stat holidays during the year, though 3 are when schools are closed for the "summer", and another 4 when the office just shuts down, plus a couple days we normally get 1/2 off every year (schools are shut down on all of these) so out of 260 week days a year we are only working 244, of course I get Vacation time and teachers do not (My employer starts at 3 paid weeks a year, I just hit the threshold for 5 weeks) so someone new to the job is working 229 days. Plus there is optional leave where you lose a small % of your salary (just under 1.9% IIRC) and get an extra week off, so 224 days.

Of and we get an unspecified number of blizzard days a year, none so far this year :( but I have had years where it was 1 every week for over a month). But i think here teachers are at 192 days a year.

Well your taxes suck, unless you get some serious social services from them.

15 year ago I had a job making just under $20k (CDN) and was clearing somewhere in the $16k - $17k range.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  9. The Godly Aeolus

The Godly Aeolus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You say $60k, but that's before taxes and insurance deductibles and the like. Not to mention that making that little with a Masters Degree in Education (a requirement in most States) and often two decades of experience is demeaning, and barely enables one to pay off the student debt accrued from earning that degree in the first place. Not to mention all the different related teaching certifications that the teachers take classes to renew every few years; naturally, they end up paying out-of-pocket for it because the districts are so underfunded they cannot possibly cover the recertification courses as an essential district expense.

Also, that $60k figure is slightly above average in the United States. Many teachers get paid less, and if you did the salary to hourly pay conversion, accounting for their actual hours worked and not what's on their contract, most teachers work for little better than slave-wages. They are essential workers, and yet too few people appreciate them for what they do for society.

Don't blame the teachers for making that choice of profession. They shouldn't have to choose between working a meaningful job and being able to afford a reasonable lifestyle capable of supporting a family of their own.

10. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize a society is absolutely boned if there are no teachers? Your entire well being depends on them. A lot. The car you drive? 95% of the workers in the production chain required teachers. House you inhabit (Judging by your attitude its more a red neck trailer park tho...)? Same. The food you eat? The same. Oh, need a doctor? Guess what, the same. Our entire species hard depends on specialization for prosperity, which in return is enabled by education. The effects in the US sure are showing. No industrialized country has more science denying nutters and no western country is doing worse in any other metric but military power.

And to keep it slightly on topic: By enforcing school Van could turn Vidal into an overpowered superpower within decades. Especially since magic exists, a weapon supremely dependant on knowledge.

Donce and The Godly Aeolus like this.
  11. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    Decades??? your lack of faith in van is disappointing.

12. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 249 at 100%

13. The Godly Aeolus

The Godly Aeolus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, gods... Imagine Vidal Demon Empire mage school. First years are required to take Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. They don't use magic to defy the laws of nature--they use magic to abuse the crap out of it!

14. Magron

Magron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    reincarnator:"Hey hurry up or you'll be late for late for 'Applied Meta-physics'!" chaos elf:"Meta..physocks?" reincarnator:"*sigh~... magic class"

X07Zero, Eddy andres and AbyssalBat like this.
  15. AbyssalBat

AbyssalBat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember there being a chapter where there was a brief POV of a bandit / theft who was kidnapped and used in some kind of Human & Undead breeding experiment using “Life Gold” organs. But I can’t remember what chapter it was or if it already been translated yet. Does anyone know?

16. Startarrot

Startarrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its been referenced that those experiments are going on but none told from their pov. There was one for the training dummy heroes.

17. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is based on the premise that Van has the appropriate knowledge. Let us remember that neither he nor any of the members of other worlds specialize in those fields, they do so in biology-oriented fields.
    That is for later, he chose some corrupt guards and thugs, of course, taking into account their histories, looking for whose most serious crimes were leaving a door open or accepting one or another bribe and they had no family or friends to support
    They treated them as experimental animals, also in a very rough way, but they did not go overboard, because the final objective of the project
    so that they can learn to be citizens so that born children can interact with their parents

Korleone likes this.
  18. Chuuni001

Chuuni001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has not been translated yet.

Eddy andres likes this.
  19. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, it's refreshing that Vandeliu drinks blood from, well, everything, normally whenever they use vampires, it's the typical drama of the fight between man and instinct, and a total rejection of the idea of consuming blood, but here it is. one of the few where it is accepted that it is a physiological need and related to taste, as long as you do not go crazy eating everything, there is no problem

20. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, unfortunately Van does not have a link to another world with an internet service he could use to search for the info needed...

CountryMage likes this.