Question What are some novels you’ve given up halfway through and why?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raven Evernight, Mar 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    What novels did you just give up reading till the end and why

2. heromaniacs

heromaniacs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there was this one about a famous chef who transmigrated into ancient time :blobnom: it was goo but it was really heavily paywalled and im Poor

Raven Evernight likes this.
  3. unsungsilver

unsungsilver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...... ehm, for me its the opposite question "Which novel did you not give up halfway through and continued reading till the end?" Because holy *** there is A LOT of novels i've given up on, and only few that i've read to the end.

4. Britnh3

Britnh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm...I think this is such a broad question...I haven’t given up per se on many but am waiting because translations are difficult and there’s a lag time between chapters. Best to wait until fully done

also, paywall. Haven’t touched quidan’s app since they initiated it. Gave up on all those novels. Not worth my time or effort no matter how good

5. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz a slow updates, 40 chaps before latest chap, I stop, waiting for more chaps to come, anyway I have many novels on reading list

6. cosmicimmortal

cosmicimmortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any QT novel where the MC goes OOC without any regard for the world settings. While I like the whole MC transmigrating and getting the revenge the original deserves or changing their fate. I prefer it if the MC can do that while keeping in character of the original. So when everyone else just ignores the blatant change in personality it can make it super hard to continue reading.

also if the MC is very naive or lacks common sense. It’s a no from me.

7. lightmoon22

lightmoon22 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i give up in so many the most reason is
    they are to loooong for no reason that i eventually lost interest on them

Reack and Raven Evernight like this.
  8. historicalbean

historicalbean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I gave up on “Return of the Female Knight” because the MC was so frustrating. Her revenge plot was weak. She wanted to change things, but didn’t want to change things at the same time. The resolve just wasn’t there.

9. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    I have dropped a lot of novels for various reasons: horrible translations, editing, and grammar; plot changed, disappeared, or repetitive; dropped by translation group; became uninteresting; etc.
    A few are Zhan Long, Long Live Summons!, and Martial God Asura.

10. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    strayCat0 and Raven Evernight like this.
  11. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, lets see...
    I tend to drop when there's an idiot MC, or bad romance getting in the way of the story, or the grammar and translation is so bad that it makes no sense. I also usually end up dropping female MC's because they're almost all romance novels and I usually start grinding my teeth and then give up once the MC and ML meet.
    I also drop if there's a paywall and I don't even start reading if I have to turn off my add blocker to even enter the translators site, let alone view the first chapter to see if i'll like it (If I like the story than I'll turn it off to support the translator, but I want to decide that for myself).

12. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot... Too many... Mostly shoujo josei novels just because I lost my bookmark and forgot where I stopped... Another reason is because I found something new and more interesting and gradually forgot

13. historicalbean

historicalbean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You’ve come across translations where you have to turn off your ad blocker to proceed? That sounds like a certain website back in the day.

strayCat0, Shio and Raven Evernight like this.
  14. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just found one today. they only have 1 chapter of a novel up and I thought I would read to see if I was interested but as soon as the site came up I had to turn off my addblocker to proceed so I put that story in my Don't Bother pile and moved on to something else. their traffic loss, not mine.

15. Xxsafirex

Xxsafirex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kuro no maou, while i liked the story, they introduced the tentacle magic bullshit near the last chapters i read and that was too much.
    live dungeon because of mtl quality
    dungeon defense because the author stopped midway (pain)

16. nightbutterfly

nightbutterfly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many, usually because repetitive story or familiar story. I will wait they ended or read spoilers

17. Britnh3

Britnh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Oh if you have to use ad blocker—have you ever tried using the reading mode? I usually use that regardless if change the settings.

Unless, of course, it won’t let me...

XiaoFanTuan likes this.
  18. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are so many that just get too big of loose their freshness like Moon-led Journey or Deathmarch. Sadly, the best joke in Deathmarch was the interplay between the oppai loving MC who drew lolis and the loli loving hero who drew onee-sans. Also the best arc in Death match was the first dungeon, when they are scratching it out.

I've started to think in terms of arcs and think in terms of finishing arcs.

strayCat0 and Devil Heart like this.
  19. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Half of my reading list is dropped novels.... They just went on too long and became dull amd some of them I just didn't care about the other PoVs the author keeps throwing in the middle of important battles between the Mc and bad dudes.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember most of them tbh. I mean... I mainly drop stories when I start feeling bored while reading them... When I feel bored, I just give up on the story and move on.

There are a few specific examples that I can think of though:
    1. Slice of Life stories with no particular plot whose protagonist is a Child... That eventually grows 5-10+ years in a single chapter due to a timeskip, which makes them now a teenager in a completely different environment with a completely different relationship with the people near them, essentially resetting the novel to a fresh start.
      I HATE those things. I signed up to read a Slice of Life with a Child Protagonist, not a Teen Protagonist... If I wanted to read about a Teen Protagonist, I'd read a story that has a Teen Protagonist from the start! >.<
      ... Do note that I don't mind those things when there is an actual plot that needs to be moved due to the timeskip, or if the growth of the character is slow and gradual... But when the growth is a done by a timeskip in a no-plot novel? Now that's just a big no for me. No no no, dropped and done.
    2. Novels that change premise midway... Basically, if I'm reading a light-hearted Slice of Life novel that suddenly starts focusing a humongous arc on a super big war to save the nation/world/whatever... I drop it when I see the arc shows no sign of ending.
      I mean, hello? This was a Slice of Life story, remember? Not a Shounen... Please keep consistent with your genre...
    3. Stories with unreadable translation and/or are too hard to read in their host website.
      The first one is simple... If the translator has garbage-tier English, then I can't endure it and give up.
      The latter one is a bit more complex... But it can be summarized by:
      A) Excessive use of anti-piracy measures, to the point it's a real bother to read in the website and to browse it in general.
      B) Poorly optimized site that makes my browser lag heavily or even crash.
      Those two things are enough to make me give up... Because really, how can I read it when my browser crashes? Or when the English is plain unreadable!? >.<
    4. Translation notes in the middle of the text that don't add anything to the story... Like uhn... First, use a footnote for your TN, please.
      Secondly, make them meaningful, don't add a TN saying "OMG, I love this character!", because that is honestly annoying... Especially when it's right in the middle of the text. Seriously, use a footnote for heaven's sake! >.<
    Those are the things I can think of that bug me and actually make me drop a novel... Pretty much any other reason falls down to "I got bored, so I dropped it."

XiaoFanTuan, teno and strayCat0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.