Discussion Anyone playing FF XIV Online?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Fulminata, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I know I'm wayy too late to the party, but an acquaintance of mine have been promoting this game a lot and i can't resist of doing a trial run! :aww::aww: That trial run only lasts until the character creation though, but I'm already half-sold by their stories and the overall positive impression from the net. Currently planning to buy the whole expansion and pass sometime around this week! :blobhero:

But let's face it, this game has been here since yeaars ago. Does anyone here played (and is still playing) it here? Any tips and advices for this newbie? :aww:

Coffea to Ell, Lucresia and Kefie like this.
  2. Xxsafirex

Xxsafirex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i did try to play it but my plane reactor didn't let me

Fulminata likes this.
  3. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started it about a month ago, just to correct you the trial last until the heavensward expansion. It’s a great game that I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Fulminata likes this.
  4. Fulminata

Reading List:
    Link
    I-I'm confused.. :blobsleepless:

What, really? I'm stuck in the character creation only....is this not the trial? :blobwoah:

Anddd, any advice for this soon-to-be newbie, senior? :blobowoevil:

5. Lorcan

Lorcan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most advice i can give you is continue doing main story quest to unlock more content of the game, always do or unlock blue quest just focus level up the job that you like keep dont cap your tomestone if its full use it
    At lower level just do main story quest or fate battle or kill all mobs in your job hunting log use your levequest allowance to help you level up more
    Unlock beastribe to help you get more exp and do dailys
    The blue quest unlock jobs, game mechanic, and dungion
    The normal quest you can skip it
    And try ask people to let you join Novice network so that you can talk the high level mentor of the game to give you more advice when progresing in the game

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Lucresia, Fulminata and Alexios Blake like this.
  6. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far I know is the character creation not the trial. As for advice I’m a MMO newbie myself, so instead, there are a lot of videos on YouTube you can see for question two makers I can recommend are Work to Game and Zepla.

Fulminata likes this.
  7. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Played for 3 years prior to moving, currently still on a hiatus. But my advise for you is to hold on through the A Realm Reborn main story quests, things get really interesting from heavenwards. ARR is just... bread and butter, boring but basic.

Fulminata likes this.
  8. Lorcan

Lorcan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try create a character to other server there a chance the server is full and not letting people create more character in that server try seing the server status to see if they are leting people create character

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Fulminata likes this.
  9. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently on hiatus from the game, but definitely have had plenty of fun with the game. Best storyline in a MMORPG outside maybe The Old Republic. Great visuals and I love the job system. Unfortunately the best parts of the game don't start to happen until you reach Heavensward, which is a pretty long grind for a new character. It also has perhaps the slowest combat of any MMORPG(this can be good or bad depending on your reflexes.) But this is definitely my favorite of the current crop of existing MMORPGs.

Fulminata likes this.
  10. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool. I heard the game has lots of invisible walls and it only gets good after like the first 70 hours, but the main thing is story and I heard it surpasses any other MMO in that department.

Also I heard great things about the business model(is that what you call it?), and I'm a GW2 player, a game literally known for its superior business model, so that coming from me is saying something.
    Most people I know have been turned away by the invisible walls and how combat at the start is very boring, but if you can find yourself not bothered by that then I believe you definitely have something to look forward to when you reach the part when it supposedly "gets good".

Oh yea, and they announced an expansion this year, right? Perfect time to join as people would be flooding the servers when that releases.

Fulminata likes this.
  11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    All I have to say is 2.5 sec global cooldowns and tab target mmo = yuck

And I don't really get people who play mmos for story. Don't get me wrong, I also play games with story being a major part of the selling point, but those are generally single player games. Like Mass Effect (well technically ME3 had a pretty fun coop multiplayer mode as well...), Dragon Age, and The Witcher.

Anyway, I haven't played FF14, but I have played another story focused MMORPG—Star Wars: The Old Republic. I was pretty hyped for it and bought it when it came out (back when it was a subscription MMO), and it actually did have a pretty interesting story and it even had player dialog choices like in other Bioware games (You could be a good Sith and evil Jedi among other things.), but I stopped playing it pretty soon cause other than the story and some clever gimmicks the actual gameplay is still just a shitty tab target mmorpg.

Oh yeah, another cool feature with SWTOR is that if you're in a party your party member actually gets to weigh in on the dialog and story progression as well, so it doesn't quite have that same "You are the Savior of the World, but there's a million other clones of the savior (other players)." feel.

Fulminata likes this.
  12. Fulminata

Reading List:
    Link
    I see! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks! I'll be sure to remember it!
    It sounds really promising, thank you! They say that the story is so well done, there's a betting ring on who's the next beloved character that's gonna die in the story:blob_teary:.... If it's true, then i guess i gotta prepare my heart:blobjoy:. Quick question: is it absolutely crucial to join a guild as fast as possible? My acquaintance have stressed on its importance...

What, a new expansion?! :blobfearful: i guess i better..hold my money until then...?

Seriously? That sounds promising! Imma check it out asap, thanks for the recs!

13. Seiken

Seiken Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Best MMORPG for me definitely give it a try! It has a phenomenal storyline that made me cry so much. <3

Fulminata likes this.
  14. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friends keep trying to get me to play it, but it feels like a major time investment and my time is already limited as it is. They all seem to really enjoy it.

Fulminata likes this.
  15. alzamer2

alzamer2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    first if you need and tip join novice network, its full of old gamer there so they can help you
    second, dont buy game now, wait for endwalker expansion to be released, at that time buy full game it will be cheaper that way
    third: i'm in malboro server (NA datacenter) if you need any help i will try to help ya

Fulminata likes this.
  16. Lucresia

Lucresia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should give it a go. The trial goes up until the Heavensward expansion and lv capping at 60.

Fulminata likes this.
  17. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I played up to the end of the second to last expansion, and all in all, I wasn't impressed.

Storywise, it was a bit meh. Idk, it just didn't feel satisfying, but it certainly was dramatic. But I have extremely high standards for stories, so most people would probably enjoy it.

Gameplaywise, I thought it was fun, each dungeon boss had a gimmick to it, so you had to figure it out like a puzzle, and even if you didn't know how to beat it, you could just ask a party member. It gave the game a real sense of community and natural progression. And each class felt unique, with their own gimmick and way of maximizing efficiency in their rotation, so figuring that out was also like a fun puzzle that felt satisfying.

If you're going to play, I have to say, play for the people. Be an active part of a guild/the community. The most fun I had, aside from dungeons and crafting was chatting with and interacting with guild mates. But yet again, my personal tastes are counter to the game's design. Turns out I find interacting with people pretty boring. So if you're going to play a MMO, then I suggest you love player interaction.

Fulminata likes this.
  18. Fulminata

Reading List:
    Link
    Noted! Now I'm really, really intrigued. Thanks!!
    Thanks for the input!
    Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to reach out once i get in the game and start exhorting help :blobwhistle:

ahh, i see! Thanks for the clarification!
    Thanks for the honest review! It makes sense and really offers an interesting perspective :hmm:

Silver Snake likes this.
  19. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    You're very kind.

Fulminata likes this.
  20. alzamer2

alzamer2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ohh right i or got, atm as long as you are in the same datacenter you can go visit other servers in that datacenter

Fulminata likes this.