Discussion What's your major?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by qpzmal, Mar 31, 2021.

1. qpzmal

qpzmal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so i have to choose a major to go into and i have no idea what i want to do. And i need to choose quick, so gimme some majors that don't put you in major debt after college, dont take years to get a degree, and are pretty lucrative. But no medical stuff since it's "depressing" according to my mom.

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a comp sci major and it's pretty good. General science majors have also had some good business around here, but you'd have to talk to someone locally to get an idea about your local job market.

3. Exalted

Exalted Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fulminata, qpzmal and SerialBeggar like this.
  4. Melange

Melange Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in the medical field so that's automatically disqualified, but my husband is a computer science engineer and there are times when I'm super jealous. He gets to work from home, didn't have to get any secondary education, and was basically guaranteed a job right out of school. Not to mention the compensation is better than a lot of people who had to do higher education.

If computer science engineering isn't really your thing, I would still recommend some form of engineering because I'm biased towards STEM.

Fulminata and qpzmal like this.
  5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Any "technical"-type major. This can be any of the engineering or science fields, but also includes plumber, electrician, car mechanic, etc.

They all train you in how to think and analyze problems. You'll learn how to do research, which in its most basic is how to look things up in an manual. In the end, you should know how to work on your own and if you still have problems, you'll know how to try to find a fix or at least, who to ask for help. Thus after you're out of school, you will be able to adapt to most types of jobs.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    TaffyGirl13, Fulminata and qpzmal like this.
  6. ChronaZero

ChronaZero 《I'm just a Spectator》《monggo mas~ 》

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in electrical engineering, if you had an interest in computer just go there (to computer science major or the other computer based major), cause computer based major usually had plenty of options... There's engineering in software or hardware, or even game creation... Plenty to choose easy to lost within... Lol

But, if you want to specialized in a major it's better to search one you're highly interested in...

7. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    I second this, if you're interested in, doing the hard and tiring thing becomes easier to do.

Also im public administration major

8. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for finance if you're smart enough. Quantitative Finance if you're a genius. Land a job in an investment bank and sell your soul for three years to get so much dough working from 7am - 11pm and then quit because you eventually get burnt out then you can probably go for any company since you have IB experience in your resume. :blobpeek:

Fulminata, qpzmal and c.decora like this.
  9. Exalted

Exalted Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

If you want a quick crash course.

qpzmal and SerialBeggar like this.
  10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on which country you live in. In India, computer science major is very lucrative, but the treatment of you as a worker is terrible. You will basically be a sweatshop worker. So look at what jobs are present in your country. If it has mines or metallurgy industry, they are also pretty stable choices.

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ignore pure science or scholar stuff such as physic quantum, mathematics, archeology,

tbh imo go to Law..... if you good at talking, good short to medium memory, good at argue~
    go to civil cuz there more money there although on practice there only so much different between civil and crime major~

faineli and qpzmal like this.
  12. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, if you need to decide really soon, you should probably delay until the next enrolment/intake & work out what you actually want to study (& where you want to go with it).

13. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a psychology major with a criminology minor.

For your criteria- don’t go into a social science field like me. You need at least a graduate’s degree to start making any type of feasible income.

HOWEVER unless you get mad scholarships or have a good family income, you are going to go into debt. That is inevitable. It also takes years anyway for any college degree. Not many guarantee good work from the start either. Plus the current job market is demanding more and more education so just having an undergraduate degree is not going to really cut it if you really want good money.

Honestly, if you don’t want any significant debt or take too long in school and want to make some cash, just go to a technical school. Most programs are about 2 years at most and many are heavily funded by the government so they are relatively inexpensive. Plus you will typically get licensure upon graduation because passing your licensure exam is usually a requirement for graduating anyway.

I was going to recommend nursing school originally since it’s one of the few fields where you can start small (like you can be a nurse with an associate’s degree, but the pay won’t be as good) but it would allow you get a foot in the work force and you could work gradually over time to get further education. However that doesn’t fit your criteria either.

Anyway, just think carefully about it all. It’s your life after all.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Kuroyuki92, faineli and qpzmal like this.
  14. TianKrea

TianKrea 『Novice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I am in power engineering major and don't even think about it if you dont have any interest or talent in it...

qpzmal likes this.
  15. Selviata

Selviata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This really depends on where you are location wise. In all honesty, finance and CS are probably where you want to look. However, if you’re in the USA, you would need to take quite a few pre reqs first before you can start filling out those major requirements, ex. writing intensives, general eds, so you would have a bit of time to decide. If your institution doesn’t provide you financial aid or merit-based scholarships and you don’t have familial support, you will likely be in some debt for a few years. Some of my friends are CS majors, they usually started applying for internships during freshman and sophomore year. These internships are actually fairly lucrative if you manage to intern for Google or Microsoft or one of these larger companies. Like $10,000+k for a summer, I think an acquaintance of mine was getting paid $34 per hour (USD) for hers. A more typical company would pay ~$15 per hour for interns.

yeah, I definitely second the posts above regarding pure sciences. These are usually for people who are aiming for Ph.Ds or med school. It’s a long and expensive route, academia is not very lucrative until much later and much success with one’s career (which is not the majority of people), industry is a whole different realm that I’m not familiar with though.

qpzmal likes this.
  16. qpzmal

qpzmal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Soo i have decided and finally convinced my mom

computer science it is

Hinattaaa, Hazel00 and Fulminata like this.
  17. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Congrats! But do you has an interest in it, though? I remember having my friends get stressed from the back-to-back math exams in that major

qpzmal likes this.
  18. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Bioinformatics - using statistics and programming skills to interpret biological data.
    I look at human genomics (DNA and RNA) and proteomics (proteins) to determine what gene mutations cause inheritable genetic disease or which gene variants increase susceptibility to cancer/other diseases in both pedigree trees (family lines) and population frequency studies. I do this by analysing human genetic info with various programs/pipeline processes - some of which, I write the code for.
    I also lecture part-time at my alma mater.

qpzmal likes this.
  19. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Bio

qpzmal likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like you have already decided, but I just wanted to say that it's pretty much impossible to not get into a big debt if you only have paid unis in your country.

Over here most unis are free, so I could go to whatever I wanted, but if you gotta pay for it... Well, you better accept that you'll need a debt if you want to study there.

qpzmal and Fulminata like this.