Discussion What's your major?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by qpzmal, Mar 31, 2021.

1. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I decided to double down on economy and tourism. Economy cuz it opens a lot of doors I might wanna try out in due time, and tourism cuz we make a fuckton of money out of that here in Spain.

Both of these 'paths' have very high employability rates. You won't lack money either way. If you are still undecided at the moment of truth, pick economy or finance. They aren't difficult majors and you can work pretty much anywhere you want.

However, I don't think that you should discard medicine just cuz your mom says that it is 'depressing'. It is a very interesting subject that won't stop evolving ever. As nurses' pay continues to skyrocket, especially in times of need like the corona, the debt isn't really that big of an obstacle.

qpzmal likes this.
  2. qpzmal

qpzmal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you! i do have an interest in CS and i cope well with stress and work so i dont think ill fail so bad blobmelt_thumbs

haha...i have accepted my future debt. but it cant be worse than all the expenses after going into medicine

In the beginning i only chose medicine since that's what my parents went into but i realized I don't really want to spend my life in a hospital. plus schooling along will take a loongg time

Hinattaaa and Fulminata like this.
  3. faineli

faineli Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I go to GW and am majoring in criminal justice, and the CJ field in dc is pretty good. I'm planning to join the police departments maybe afterwords and get my social work degree and I have no debt. But I am also pretty poor lol so I get that good money. But It all depends really what location for certain majors give you the best money. You also have to consider your strengths and weaknesses. I'm more athletic and hate science so I do pretty well in the CJ field.

qpzmal likes this.
  4. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am major' in Digital Drafting and Graphics Tech. Ya can pretty much go with animation after that or become an engineer.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    qpzmal likes this.
  5. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek: !
    I haven't heard of this before. Very interesting. Tyvm....:blobpeek: *fades back into the shadows*
    (If you don't mind and you have the time, please tell me more about any/all possible work or programs of study that are related to genetics.)

Fulminata, qpzmal and Beren like this.
  6. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for actuary certification. Pass their test, no matter what major you take. In my country, there are some courses I can take to get the equivalent certification in my uni. But it's not necessary.

https://www.geteducated.com/career-center/detail/actuary/

qpzmal likes this.
  7. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    So with genetics, you can chose zoology, plants, microbiology, or human/medical, or just general biotechnology like I did. There's applications in many fields: studies in animals - conservation, marine, and ecology, plants - agricultural/GMO or environmental and forestry, microbiology - creation of new materials in different environments, study of micro-organisms and their useful applications, to more biotech things like creating solar cells using algae and bacteria, humans - genetic studies in medical research, clinical jobs like genetic counselling, working in genetic testing, and more programming/analytics like bioinformatics and computational biology. You can also choose to teach or go into science communications etc.
    From genetics, there's also molecular biology and proteomics as well but there's a lot of overlap.
    Hope this helps a little. You can google some of the ideas I've listed and see if anything strikes your fancy.

Fulminata, qpzmal and mir like this.
  8. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I never went to college but I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician and I know a bunch of shit pertaining to fixing electronics from youtube.

Some places in the usa offer certifications for adults for free. I recommend, if you live in the usa, to get one.

qpzmal likes this.
  9. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Undergraduate/bachelors: History
    - Would not recommend if you expect to find a good job afterwards.
    - Chose history because I knew I would regret it if i didnt later​

Graduate/Masters: Development & International Relations
    - Good graduate for finding jobs in anything related to development, municipal/state work, sustainability and much more.​

qpzmal likes this.