Recommendations Best Cultivation novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Daresan, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    I want cultivation novels like A record of mortal's journey to immortality and demon's diary, they are slow but fucking worth it.

World building is top notch because it has a lot of what people who read fast food novels call "filler". Mc is very cunning never stands out, always low key as a person should in treacherous cultivation world and it feels like we are adventuring with mc instead of forced conflicts pushed by author.

I am considering reading Nightfall but if it is total drag like Ze Tian Ji then no thanks. Ze Tian Ji for me was really draggy and pretentious. I want good world building but it must not be too boring.

My top favourite cultivation novels

1. ISSTH
    2. Renegade Immortal
    3. Pursuit of truth
    4. A record of mortals journey to immortality
    5. Divine Throne of Primordial Blood
    6.Reverend Insanity
    7. Demon's diary
    8. World of Cultivation
    9. Desolate Era (little bit childish )
    10. Death Scripture

Novels i am planning to read but hesitating for various reasons
    1. Transcending nine heavens
    2. Otherworldly Evil Monarch

Dont want cookie cutter novels like King of Gods, Legend of Swordsman or hootblooded teenage stuff like agt mga.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  2. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhanxian - A rather slow paced Cultivation Novel, where MC gets in conflicts, but they aren't Forced. This Novel has a bit of a Focus on Formal interaction. Not where in other Novels where the Enemy lies non-stop, without getting a Heart Devil. It has a Good Focus on Cultivation itself and on the State of Mind.

Daresan likes this.
  3. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is ISSTH any good? Since you have read it, can you tell me what stand out from the novel? I've been wanting to read it but looking at the review it's kinda mixed(?) like it's 4 stars but there's a lot of 1 or 2 star reviews too..

4. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the Great Sage is pretty great
    Tales of Herding Gods is amazing imo, and basically about innovation, like in Divine Throne of Primordial Blood, and facing against calamities to civilisation which have hit before. Too bad webnovel grabbed and dropped it after several hundred chapters

Daresan likes this.
  5. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ISSTH is pretty split. A lot of people love it while I personally don’t like it that much, but it’s still a classic so you should give it a shot if you like cultivation. The MC has a pretty quirky personality, the world building is pretty good, and the plot is also decent and build up from the start. I would say its biggest strengths are the plot and world, and it’s weaknesses are the slow build up, rather boring cultivation system at the beginning, and annoying characters (subjective) after a while

6. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh? ISSTH has 4.4 star rating, for CN novel to have that rating is very very high. If you focus on negative rating only then i dont think you will find unbashed novel here in nu heck even Lord of Mysteries have so many 1 star reviews.

There is reason people like ISSTH once you read you will find out. If you like cultivation novels then i can see no reason you will not enjoy ISSTH. It has just right amount if comedy and right amount of seriousness. World building is okay as well and most of the arcs are fun.

Generally CN novels with ratings above 4 have at least something better that people enjoy.

Is legend of great sage cookie cutter novel like King of Gods? Or have really good story and world building like rmji or ISSTH?

I have read Tales of Herding Gods till chapter 30 long time ago, should try it later.

7. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the great Sage isn’t cookie cutter, at least with regards to characters, who develop emotionally.
    The mainstream human cultivation system is bog standard, and cultivation progress is on the slow end in terms of chapters.

8. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice i am reading it, it has really long chapter and i am enjoying it, i hope common sense chan will not be raped over and over again, thats the only thing i ask.

Until now it looks well written novel. 1st chapter wasnt good but rest are better.

9. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s a few crazy characters, and the MC is brash and headstrong. But at the same time, circumstances explain them. And in the first few chapters, it’s stated that cultivation techniques influence the mentality of their practitioners

Daresan likes this.
  10. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading demon's diary for 2/3 days i reached around 270 chapters and it was really fun ride but mc power progression is so slow that he ranks up one rank until whole 270 chapters.

Now i started reading the legend of great sage till 40 chapters and the sharp decline in quality is so visible. The fights are cookie cutter,mc is hootblooded, villians are idiots, crowds are really punchable. holy shit this novel is such sharp contrast compared to demon's diary i was reading 2 hours ago.

The first 10 chapters were so nice but then it went on genric mode. The only saving grace is world building still is relevant and going strong. Not as good as demon's diary but still compared to King of Gods world building is much better.

11. aaachris

aaachris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might try Joy of Life and path towards heaven first. Nightfall is an amazing work. In the beginning after about 5p chapter,mc enters the academy and it can be a drag in his struggle to enter the cultivation world till around 130.