Discussion Sound effects in KR novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hamski, Apr 3, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I gotta say, I’ve found a lot of KR novels I have read do this, where they write a troll going “Kukukurkrk” or swords clashing “cririrri”. The problem is I literally can’t ever connect those sounds to the whatever the hell it is I’m reading in the sound effect. It adds nothing for me, so I am just skipping every other line because for some reason they are SPAMMING that shit.

I’m wondering if any of you guys actually get the sound effects without making an effort and I’m just dumb, or if it’s hard for you guys too? I also wanna know if you guys think they should have them in the first place. I find them annoying and it seems like instead of describing what’s happening they throw in a sound effect like it will fix the lack of description.

LollipoPReapeR likes this.
  2. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    I never notice it. Anyway, does it mean you prefer the sound to be referred instead of being described?

For example:

Instead of using sound effects for sword, you prefer to read it, "Suddenly a sword sound came from my right side----"?

3. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I would most definitely prefer that if they want to describe sound. But when I say lack of description, I’m referring to examples like a sword fight scene where there’s no description at all other than sound effects. Kind of like, “They rushed at each other and swung their swords. Chwing. It was tough. Rong. Grit teeth.” Etc

4. AshCrow

AshCrow LeeFromAsia

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking about manhua... Yeah, in novels, it's kind of weird and out of place.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Even their ero, *jupo* *jupo* *sluck* *sluck* *gluck* *gluck*

Meloonseed, LollipoPReapeR and Hamski like this.
  6. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    I just don’t like onomatopoeia. Especially if it’s translated. Just reduces the overall ‘level’ of any writing and makes it seem more juvenile.

Hamski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.