Question What are some novels you’ve given up halfway through and why?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raven Evernight, Mar 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    This hard because it's a very general question. Though two main reasons are 1. Extremely slow updates and 2. Dull pacing and annoying love interests

lightmoon22 and Raven Evernight like this.
  2. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i posted a long list of reasons of why we drop novels since i read alot of these rubbish in the past...

found it

tbh you just have to be pick what you like to read and hope you find a nice one.

and if you start something, just drop it immediately if you don't like something because chances are, it won't get better and will only get worse.

dropped over 200 novels.

novels that gets boring = drop
    novels that get repetitive = drop
    novels where mc doesn't want to kill women = drop
    novels that have too many chapters (like over 2000) = drop
    novels that get boring = drop
    reincarnation novels where mc keep on doing stupid things = drop
    transmigration novels back and forth into urban and then starts killing people without repercussions = drop
    novels where mc have no friends and family = drop
    novels that feels like its going nowhere = drop
    novels where mc starts to do things out of character = drop
    novels where mc have double standards = drop
    long seperation = drop cus they will jus keep separating for some bullshit reason
    no romance (if you want) = drop cus the mc will never find romance
    mc has a partner at the start but he keeps meeting beautiful women and the author keeps on writing about these women altho it's not harem (or modern cus theres no harem in modern urban) = drop

idm nationality and racism, but if it pops out randomly or without warning = drop (cus it just makes no sense to have japanese people in a xianxia world like OEM)

idm novels where the mc keeps on going on and on to higher planes, but it has to be comedic like god level demon or similar hiliarious novels. but if it's just pure xianxia like invincible where there's no end in sight = drop cus it's a waste of your time to read such novels where the mc keeps on going to higher planes, piss off people and then repeat

novels where it's too dark and the mc constantly get the shorter end of the stick = drop
    novels where mc gets too lucky that even a fart will lead him to a treasure cave like invincible = drop (why even bother reading?)

novels where very little time has passed in hundreds of chapters = drop cus you know it's going to be several thousands chapters long and nothing important or very little events has passed.....why bother?

novels where time is important but time is "stretched" = drop (night ranger)

comedy novels that doesn't stay funny = drop (sacred world/perfect world)
    novels that tries to be mysterious by not telling you what's going on but ends up being boring = drop (sacred world)
    wish-fufilment is fine, but it needs an end. not 3000 chapters (AST) = drop

novels where the joke is repeated over and over again and then you get a shitty ending (AWE) = drop

mmo novels that doesn't make sense = drop
    mmo novels where it's full of combat logs = drop
    mmo novels where the RL doesn't get mentioned or seldom = drop (i guess every mmo novel now since the new regulations)
    mmo novels where the mc just keeps on going ahead without pause, throwing everyone under the bus. again, no family/friends/relationships = drop cus why bother? just read the last chapter and you won't miss anything. if you say the journey is important, go read a summary instead then. (theres no need to read 5000 chapters of legendary mechanic)

also tournament emperor (talisman emperor) = drop
    i fart = OH A TOURNAMENT
    i eat dinner = OH A TOURNAMENT
    i go to the market = OH ANOTHER TOURNAMENT
    i sleep = a new tournament awaits you!
    i go to a new city = A NEW TOURNAMENT AWAITS THEE!
    i go the capital = for the DRAGON PHEONIX TOURNAMENT
    i go to the big 5 saint land = WIN TOURNAMENT FOR CLUE TO PARENTS DISAPPEARANCE.
    i go to BIG & BETTER PLANE = need to save passerby by winning tournament
    follow parents clue = need to win tournament to find my original family housekeeper uncle newphew son's babysitter

https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/5724811/

Raven Evernight likes this.
  3. 9arts

9arts Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    will drop the novel when enemies is like youngmaster A get killed then his father come and get killed then his grandfather come and get killed and his ancestor come and get killed etc

Reack, teno and Raven Evernight like this.
  4. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the opposite for me, it's usually the translator or authors who have given up on me. It's like I'm cursed or something. I only read a handful of novels, so they're definitely my favorites. Unfortunately, they are often dropped or on a really long hiatus.

Reack and Raven Evernight like this.
  5. Ginko Biloba

Ginko Biloba [♤Blackjack Sect Mascot♤] [☆100MB SPAMMER☆]

Reading List:
    Link
    There was this one novel I forgot the title cause I have read it a long time ago. I remember liking the story and thinking it was very good. I dropped the series because the translations, although it is still understandable, was missing or use the wrong be verbs (is, was, are, etc.). It was those small mistakes that gave me the headache and in the end I gave up on reading it cause I couldn't handle the headache it was causing me anymore.

6. Coffea to Ell

Coffea to Ell 【❀ Sleepy Bunny ❀】

Reading List:
    Link
    A Warm Wedding and A New Bride of Young Master Lu (my brain fried Mtl-ing and dropped because new enemy make me bored with the story, don't want to mtl-ing again)

Divine Doctor: Daughter of the First Wife (don't have time to continue reading)

Rebirth of the Strongest Female Emperor (gor bored by the story halfway after she inherited phoenix blood or something and just wanna skip and read the ending)

there are many more, just forgot the title.

7. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll give three out of my list

After Transformation, Mine and Her Wild Fantasy - It initially drew me in with an enjoyable concept of one mind controlling two people. Neat fantasy world concept to start it off with! But unfortunately it was a cookie-cutter story with flat characters, and bad writing in general. I stopped reading once I gave up hope of it getting better.

Isekai Yururi Kikou - A cute, fluffy, child-raising adventure story! I wanted to enjoy this one. I wanted it to be good. But the author's concept of children is human-shaped pets who always act cute, do what they're told, and show no individual personality traits. Plus the rest of the world's society makes the people in "Idiocracy" look intelligent. The chapters devoted to blandly explaining how to make basic foods didn't help either. Looks like I dropped it when... the author decided it was time to make soup broth in the 20th floor of a dungeon?

While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Became the MAX Level Unknowingly - It feels kinda weird putting this here knowing an anime adaptation is about to air. Conceptually it's a fun slice of life comedy with a main character who got overpowered without realizing it. It's kinda funny at first? But then it just gets repetitive, bland, and simple-minded. Most of the humor just didn't land for me, and I got bored as more flat characters kept getting added.

Reack and Raven Evernight like this.
  8. Reack

Reack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually give up when plots feel forced for the sake of creating conflict and the author uses excuses to justify events.

9. DiamondInApril

DiamondInApril Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite a few times the protagonist ends up doing the same things and the cycle of actions keeps going on with only one or two things different from before, ao I tend to quickly drop those kinda things. Tho to be honest, I just end up picking up another novel to read that I just find more interesting and forget about the previous one I was reading...

10. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial God Asura stopped at like 1200 chapters in I finally got bored of it, The Hunger Games (Stopped after 1st chapter) I felt it was way too cringe to read and The Mortal Instrument series 3rd last book cause I couldn't be bothered getting it from the library again cause I was back to reading Redwall :X3: that's about it really.

11. rilmaniel

rilmaniel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Library of Heaven’s Path - it got so repetitive. Bone headed MC not really thinking jus coasting on plot armor
    • Skyfire Avenue - beginning was one of better I have read. Fresh setting, some mystery. Then cultivation drops on your head.
    • Terror Infinity - likewise, another cultivation system drop.

12. Little Pretty

Little Pretty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many reasons but some of the most "unique" ones are:
    • a romance novel where the "side" plot is much more interesting than the immature romantic main plot.
    • a couple BG and BL qt "angsty" novels, where basically MC just pretend to be in love and then dies tragically on repeat. at some point, it just gets tiring, esp. if MC & main ML's relationship doesn't show at all after several worlds (no sign of either MC actually having any emotion or ML remembering past worlds). I might try them again if I'm in the mood for super long burn tho.
    • a "stallion" kinda novel, where all the love interests are just... no. No. I really like MC's relationship with his friends and his personality and the (non-romance) plot, but the author just keep throwing in random girls while the MC act oblivious. I'd rather the MC get into a relationship with his (male) bestfriend whom he call "handsome" 30x a day than a woman who got one of the sweetest side-character die. unless somebody spoil me that the woman will die terribly, I'm not gonna go anywhere close to it.

13. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many to count, but I remember one that really stuck with me. I read Martial God Asura when it first came out and it was like one of the first Chinese novels I ever read. I read pretty far, like chapter 1400ish. Then, I asked myself, why am I subjecting myself to this cruel and unusual punishment. Thus, I stopped. I didn't want to lose more brain cells.

14. The vulture

The vulture Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many that i gave up reading and some of them were good too but the Autors have dropped and some like reverend insanitty that was too dark for me

15. rocca.linne

rocca.linne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I gave up on a lot of novels mostly because the plot becomes too predictable or the story I read from the spoiler is boring. Tbh, I even make a reading list to avoid seeing those novels again on my search, cause I'm a novel addict and sometimes I forget which novel I read and which I haven't lol.

16. morranstillscaresme

morranstillscaresme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh it just depends on what my brain thinks. I have the attention span of a goldfish so I get uninterested quickly, and there are times i stop at a chapter cause' i need to work like a normal person and promise to read it after im done but i just forget reading them. even dropped many good novels bcus of my sh*t brain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.