Games Whose Requirements Surprised You

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Apr 6, 2021.

1. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before I upgraded my pc at the end of 2019, I couldn't run Nier:Automata because it'd run at 10fps. Mind you, that pc could still run Monster Hunter World and The Witcher 3 both at around 30 fps on medium settings. I think Nier specifically doesn't use CPU very well, since my old pc's bottleneck was budget GPU.

Also, my laptop can barely run Genshin, but apparently Frostpunk is too hard for it.

2. king cooly

king cooly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but the scale and quality is impressive with that size.
    Also you reminded me of this[​IMG]

3. Noctis

Noctis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    South Park The Fractured But Whole. How that game requires 6Gb ram is beyond me, the first game only requires 2 and it is South Park after all, how the fuck that happened(I discovered that the reason was the fancy light and shadows)

Thanks gaming studios every fuckin game requires fancy shadows and light now, even if the game art style can stand on its own

mir and AliceShiki like this.
  4. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to admit this, but I remember when games came on cassette tapes.
    [​IMG]
    I played the hell out of that game when I was younger.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't bought hardware in a while but i remember one of the things that surprised me was when physx were new and specific games would require a separate physx card as it wasn't something incorporated into the graphical card yet.

p.s. my first pc was some shitty hewlett packer, that was so terrible i played unreal tournament 2003 with a resolution along the lines of 400x200 something.

6. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grim Dawn v 1.1.8. Prior to that version, it played fine. Then afterwards it started to overheat on the same laptop, even when the air temperature was only in the 80s.

I also marvel at old classics like Masters of Orion 2 or Master of Magic or ADOM that had very sophisticated gameplay with very low requirements.

mir likes this.
  7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, that and Wolfenstein were the first few games in color that I ever played. I remember you teleport into the middle of the mother demon and hack your way from the inside out in the final cutscene.

You win. lol!

mir likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof... Yeah, it is pretty annoying when you can't play the games your friends are playing together... T.T
    *pat pat pat* Yeah, early stages of emulators are always a mess~
    I feel the same with saving for a new laptop! I really need one, my current laptop is falling apart... orz

Really weird that the DLC was harder to run for some eldritch reason though... *blames @Frozen ink *
    Isn't there an option to disable those things? Games often times do have options for disabling shading and lighting at the very least...

I mean, Fall Guys didn't, but most games do have options to lower the graphics... I mean, I have played games in the lowest settings since forever, so I'm used to disabling pretty much everything~

mir likes this.
  9. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Minecraft.
    Even in vanilla you can make the most powerful rigs burn themselves into oblivion if you do it right (wrong).
    Meanwhile with mods that happens just while playing normally...

mir and AliceShiki like this.
  10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Path of Exile kind of fits this for a different reason, simply because it has pretty much been reworked entirely over the years, it sure as hell didn't require 8gig of RAM when I started playing back in 2012, I've had to upgrade pc twice since then.
    Even with that in mind it is kind of an unoptimized mess at times. lol

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, my brother plays this one... At some point he had to give up on the game because his PC could no longer play it anymore.

Then they released the PS4 version, so he hopped right back to it~

12. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    That is actually surprising, I have heard that the PC port is fucking dogshit when it comes to optimization but even then I was able to run it on a consistent 45~50 fps with i5 8th gen and integrated graphics

The only mods I have on Nier automata are FAR and NAIOM

13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Pathfinder Kingmaker was one big fucking liar!

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition minimum requirements
    • Memory: 4 GB (lie, technically it will run but it will run so horribly slow you can't even call it playing)
    • Graphics Card: Intel HD 3000 (with 4GB RAM, what a fucking liar! It takes 4GB just to run the game before graphics and considering that integrated graphics shares RAM with the computer, you have less than 4GB to run the game)
    • CPU: Intel Celeron 1037U (absolute fucking lie. who made this up?)
    • File Size: 30 GB (fucking liar! Ai-chan's folder is 44GB!)
    In the first place, why does it require such a high system requirement? The graphics aren't that high definition, the colours aren't so realistic and the texture is just what you'd commonly see on games made 10 years ago. Not just that, despite having 32GB RAM and 6GB VRAM, it loads so very long and so very often that Ai-chan could go take a dump 12 times within the time it takes to play this game.

In comparison, Baldur's Gate, the inspiration of the genre could easily run on 2GB and with integrated graphics without any problem. The graphics in pathfinder isn't too much of a step up from Baldur's Gate. The maps aren't too much bigger compared to Baldur's Gate either and it's not like you can demolish terrains anyway. The terrain is just a bunch of textures on a plain but it has such a high system requirement and such long and often loading time.

Ai-chan guesses the developers aren't software programmers and therefore has no idea what 'optimization' means. But if they are software programmers, then there is no excuse why this is so horribly laggy and demanding. Much of the lag could've been easily solved, like for example, only loading the assets you need to use in that instance instead of loading the entire HD asset of the entire map at the same time when you're only using not even 5% of the map at any given time

14. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    elder scrolls online, i was basing my purchase on low min requirements because i had a crappy PC back then, ESO lied to me, the min requirement wasnt what they were saying coz my laptop was definitely higher than their min req but i wasnt able to play the game
    still bummed how i didnt get a refund from steam because i 'played' a total of 2 hours when all i did was wait for the game to patch,

i should have just kept the game until i had a better PC, but i was so pissed at being lied to and steam being unfair about the refund that i dealt with them thru paypal. that didnt end up well with me either coz i did a split payment with my steam wallet and only ended up getting like 30% of my money back

15. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It still shocks me seeing a game take multiple gigabytes.... It feels wrong...

I had a potato up until a year ago, the kind that would run most low requirement games but overheat and shut down randomly for anything heavier. (I had games I would play only in the winter for that reason, and some games I bought specifically for summer months.)

There were plenty of low-requirement-looking games back then that I found while searching for summer games where I got shocked by the actual requirements. Apparently old looking and/or blocky graphics were an aesthetic choice by the developers that still takes as much out of my old potato as the shiny and new looking games.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  16. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the things companies say in their game details to make everyone buy it :cry:
    i had a very slow PC up till 2020, all i really played were emulators for things like GBA/SNES, browser games, or low end PC games that came out before christ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually failed to run fall guys similar to you. My laptop isn't the newest but it's still quite decent, I've run way more technically intensive games than fallguys too. The game just kept lagging terribly, feels like it's just badly optimized to me <.<

Same same. Dishounoured 1 ran perfectly, 2 was alright with the rare hiccup but I coudn't play through more than 10 minutes of the DLC because of how bad it ran.
    The game ran fine for me for the most part, but it randomly kept crashing orz. I had to go through the one hour tutorial-like thrice QAQ

18. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're playing a new game on a seven year old laptop, shouldn't the seven year old part be more concerning? I can barely emulate PS1 games on my own 4GB old laptop, let alone anime games. :blobhero:

Either way, this wasn't really a requirement per se but I was shocked that I need 78GB to play Doom 2016, like what the fuck? Why is this 78GBs? :notlikeblob:

They reduced the size in a later update, but I still needed about 80-90GBs just to install, "In case of updates." Fuckin' bullshit, I swear! :blobsob:

Fulminata and AliceShiki like this.
  19. Arrynne

Arrynne 『Bubo scandiacus』『Owl in NEED of Saving』

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm more surprised that I'm able to play games with my 10 year old laptop.

Especially, I'm currently addicted to genshin impact and valorant these days. Though I wouldn't say I don't encounter problems lagging while in game but I barely notice it. (Unless I'm playing valorant and being toxic.) There's also a fact that I use the same laptop for my online class.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie:
    Do ya count someone who has a gaming room for this?

I move around a lot when I play video games and I've a bad themper. So yeah... I ended up getting one.:blobsweat_2:

AliceShiki likes this.