When should people change their phones?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So. last year I bought a samsung A01 phone. I found out with my current workload, with its 16GB memory, I couldn't keep the office app and had to install it when needed, otherwise I delete all except the ones that cannot be deleted. I extend its life by using microSD for all the files, but it's just hard to keep up. Most of the documents sent via whatsapp is kept inside my internal storage, since it relates to my work and quick access to it while keeping the context is necessary.

So... I feel bothered, but I don't know if this is a necessary purchase or impulse buying. I want to know if I actually need it or I just want a new phone while having one that is perfectly useful, outside of handling my workload.

2. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say it depends. As I've understood it, you need your phone a lot for / during your work. Viewing as tool to get work done and seeing how it doesn't quite fit the bill, thinking about purchasing a new one does sound rather logical.

3. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean if you really need it for work there’s no problem with buying it, I think that’s the best call for your situation.

My personal opinion with regards to buying new phones in general is that it’s stupid and a waste of money if it works fine. I don’t think there’s much difference between an IPhone 6 and 10 for example, and if you are upgrading for more control over the device that you don’t end up using, what’s the point? I actually don’t really understand how people feel a desire for a new phone. I feel like literally nothing in my life would change but I’d lose a big chunk of my savings I could use on things I actually want.

I think maybe there’s some exceptions with some Android phones where some techies like to modify a bunch of things, but other than that I can’t find a reason other than consumerism brainwashing.

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Your phone is your PC. It is important for your work. In that sense, spend as much as you want on it. Because your work is paramount.

TheNewGuy, AliceShiki and justmehere like this.
  5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer changing when my old phone just doesnt work due to hardware issues (blown transistors / battery failures / major screen fuck ups / cpu slow down to the point it is clear it is on death's door) - which for most electronics can be easily around 7 years or so assuming you handle them decently well.

In your case, your current phone can always end up fulfilling the role of a backup/landline phone. It might not be a bad idea to upgrade if the current one is being a bottleneck for your work.

6. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say go for it, if it's important for your work. I don't see where this is impulse buying

7. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your problem was not about impulsive buying.

It's about not researching on what you actually need. Buy a phone for work with the most amount of storage (not ram).
    Don't cheap out on what you actually uses that might causes you to buy something else earlier in the future.
    For average office works, Samsung a5 is The best option right now imo.

8. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep. My phone works totally fine. Its storage just doesn't fit my workload. Anyway... I myself can't justify the purchase of an iPhone, where it feels like it is just a brand tax with subpar feature per price point.

On the other hand, the reason I choose samsung (while it is also second premium brand after iPhone, though I bought one <$100 USD) is because the option is only Samsung, Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi here. I don't care for camera or RAM. 2GB of RAM, as proven by my current A01.

because of phone review. I watched a phone review of Samsung A32 and think of this. on one hand, is it me fooling myself because I was drawn to a product? I have less trust of Oppo and Vivo brand as my previous experience flagged vivo's keyboard as malicious. My other options are Xiaomi and Samsung. That's it.

On the other hand, I can't install anything anymore. Even my office software to read the docs because it took too much space in my phone. I already deleted my navigation app and have to reinstall it if I need to commute somewhere other than my workplace, since I work in neighboring city and have to commute by train. the online ridesharing app is also down to one, making me unable to compare the price and choose whatever cheapest available. The more people in my workplace send documents to my phone, the more I have to delete more apps.

So yeah. I feel the need, but I don't want to be impulsive. It's perfectly fine phone. Just my use case is unsuitable with 16GB of internal memory.

Ah... I disagree on this case. It is not my PC. Writing/editing files are horrible. I can't run statistical software inside and export it to my actual laptop. It is important for my work though.
    Agree. I don't want to change my phone while it is still usable. It's just a waste if I did that. But I feel the need to.
    Nah. A01 is actually <100USD phone, with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM, in which 13GB are taken by Samsung for its internal files. I originally have Vivo Y53, but its screen cracked because I threw it multiple times against the wall (it's still useful though).

I mean, I looked up to developer options, and there is option to put the app on SD card, but none of them is able to run when I put it there (why? Why must they lock it to be usable only when stored in internal storage? It's premium space in mine). If that actually succeed, I can actually extend this one's use until it breaks. But, it didn't. So... yeah. I feel the need to buy one with larger internal memory.

9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering looking into unlocking bootloader / enabling root access. You can then proceed to pretty much wipe any of the extra trash Samsung preinstalls and get a good part of the 13 GB back.

It does void warranty and other risks, so look into that before proceeding.

10. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you considered using a new Google Drive account just for the backup of your "Whatsapp workfiles" folder?
    That'd be like having an additional 15GB of storage, which you'd also be able to access on your computer, not just from your phone.
    Having the backup, you'd be able to remove the files from your phone when you run out of space.

Of course, Whatsapp doesn't separate files in its folder by a convo, so you'd likely have to sync everything and occasionally clean the private crap from the GDrive, but I think that's still better than nothing.

Edit: Actually, now that I look into it, you can connect your phone to your PC via web.whatsapp.com, open your workchat >chat files/media and manually select and download your workfiles to your PC or somewhere.
    Once you're backed up, set your Whatsapp to not download files automatically, clear out your downloaded files on your phone, and your phone should stop running out of space. I think.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nah. 4 hours of my day is spent commuting. So that's pretty substantial time to review things for the day. That's why I think file in phone is actually helpful, even if I can't work on it. can't exactly open the laptop on the train/bus.

thinking about that, I want hololens so I can work in my commuting time... the price is crazy high though, for my income. not to mention that it is hard to get.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually speaking, I think one should only change phones when their current one no longer fits their needs... In my case, that would mean when my phone breaks, since I basically use it for chatting 90% of the time, and for playing gachas 10% of the time... I would definitely not change phones because of the gachas though, so as long as I can use whatsapp in my phone, I don't particularly care about how it works.

On your case though, as a device that you need for work, I'd say you should change it whenever necessary in order to do your work properly.... Perhaps you can try talking to your boss about it? Maybe the company can buy you a phone in order to let you work properly from it.

... I know the first cellphone my father got was given by his company at the very least, but this was back when cellphones were just starting to become a thing.

13. niznet

niznet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I remember, Whatsapp itself still doesn't support sd cards so it's pointless to have one only for that purpose.

In your case, I think is to sync your phone files with your laptop if you don't want to change your phone because it's still usable, like using the whatsapp web version so you're able to upload/download files to your laptop and disable autosave in your phone safely or any app that can sync your files between phone and laptop over internet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  14. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how about a tablet? I feel like that's small enough to use on a train/bus. Unless you need your 3/4G internet and adding one would make your bill go up.