Cliché novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moim, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moim

Moim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do people read cliche novels like???? I mean it's all the same with all the CEOs and presidents and film emperor also the hated bastard child or white moonlight substitute I'm like so angry at some novels cause they're so basic with the FL being strong willed and like to face slap not to forget the aloof but soft inside tsundere ceo or the you were the first one to hit me so now I'm going to fall in love with you. also WTF is with all the one night stands? and the fact that the FL always have a miserable past being abused by her half sister or step mother might as well call it Cinderella 2.0. Also why are they so arrogant like 'you seduced my husband you vixen now I'm going to bankrupt you' like dude calm down she only bumped into him and it's a literal accident and even if she once had a crush on him and I mean just a little crush it's not right for you to do that. And the most frustrating cliché is that a 5 yrs old boy can hack into a fuckin company that is the best of the best and then they just pass it off with Oh ThAt'S bEcAuSe ThEy'Re fAthEr anD sOn It rUnS iN tHe FaMiLy like stfu normal kids don't do that shit even in fantasy novels they sometimes do that but still at least they got magic which is already a good excuse then what about the kid in the normal world do they have some kind of royal noble bloodline or something it's not like that company was founded for like a really long time to say that's a bloodline since your damn ancestors are probably normal people with normal jobs before you got rich.

2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever wondered why a cliche is called a cliche? Because it was so well recieved that it became common across the medium. So now your question boils down to asking "why do people read stuff similar to what they liked a lot?" The answer should be obvious.
    Also consider using paragraphs, walls of text / rant are not pleasing to figure out.

MMWO, countblackula and otaku31 like this.
  3. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, not every cliche novel is the same.

Just because they use them does not mean it will be the same story, this is something I have seen people not understanding way to often.

Seriously, I have seen way to many people ay that something was the same a X simply because its first couple chapters were similar in nature, and used the same tropes, when it was a subgenre with a small selection of standard opening tropes, that diverges from there. It was the same level of idiocy as saying 2 westerns were the same story, because they both started with a gunslinger riding into town, or 2 Film Noir movies being the same because they started with a Femme Fatal hiring a Private Investigator.

4. jiang ying yue

jiang ying yue 神様!

Reading List:
    Link
    Not every clichéd novel is trash. No story is truly original. There are tons of clichéd stories that are amazing, it always depends on the execution of the story.

If it’s plain, boring, too many recycled tropes with nothing new, and bad writing, of course it’s going to be bad. Doesn’t matter if the plot is anti-mainstream or cliche.
    Exactly, no story will be exactly the same even though cliched to death, unless it’s plagiarized.

5. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, not all cliches are bad. There's a reason why there's enough of those types of stories out there to be called a "cliche", you know?

And if that specific Bossy CEO trope bothers you so much, why don't you just stop reading them?

I can see people enjoying that kind of story though, especially if you add humor or other twists. Maybe people just want some mindless entertainment. Maybe they do like these kinds of HE romance stories. Whatever the case, there's definitely reasons why people would read those novels.

Lissi and otaku31 like this.
  6. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    while i think not all cliches are bad, i dont think theyre good either

i don't like the thought that authors are just writing the same thing cliche because people like it instead of spreading their metaphorical wings of creativity to think of something different

at the same time, authors need to make money and people consume whatever they love, so its their choice if they want to read the same cliche again and again, which also continues the cycle of never ending authors writing the same thing again and again to please the masses

7. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it's funn! Simple as that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.