Discussion Reincarnation vs Transmigration

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by just.checking, Apr 7, 2021.

?

Reincarnation vs Transmigration

1. Reincarnation

2. Transmigration

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just.checking

just.checking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am wondering what type of novels you guys like better, reincarnation or transmigration?
    Reincarnation as in the mc remembers their past life from the time they are born or transmigration where the mc possess the body when they are older.

2. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer reincarnation except for quick transmigration cuz I'm addicted to that recently.

hngyxn likes this.
  3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I choose Reincarnation. The reason behind my choice is because of the leeway in time and background.
    Transmigration needs a background you can’t really create. While Reincarnation you can build your background. As to Time. With Reincarnation when compared to Transmigration. You have more time to gather information about your surroundings and create a game plan. On the other hand Transmigration you have to hit the ground running. To put it simple. I don’t like to rush and be rash. I like having a foundation to coordinate my plans with

4. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    I like both kinds of stories but I think my favorite stories are the kind without either of those.

The6thStreet likes this.
  5. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Both of those are reincarnation and transmigration though, the terms are more or less interchangeable, when people try and differentiate between them like that it is mostly done arbitrarily.
    And either way, I personally prefer when the mc gradually remembers parts of their past life over time and not just all at once, which doesn't fit either definition given here.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Khaos-Thanathan likes this.
  6. Letmeinplease

Letmeinplease Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnate for sure.

7. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation, I don’t mind transmigration but if I think about it a bit too much, there is something that doesn’t sit right with me when everyone loves xyz only because someone else entirely took over their body.

8. Elucia

Elucia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation, I always feel bad for the other guy when it's transmigration. You lived a wholesome life only to be taken over by a random dude...

9. Starfox Stellar

Starfox Stellar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigration, specifically quick transmigration where they solve the obsessions of the original owner. Transmigrating back into their previous life (that they didnt know about) is also pretty neat

10. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely Reincarnation. It's just more interesting for me since transmigration just doesn't seem right, it's like the mc did something wrong...

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  11. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    reincarnation because then the person belongs to that place in time and grows up there (whether it's into another world or into the same world he died in), the caveat being that you get to keep your memory.
    if the choice was reincarnation with memory wipe, or keep your memory and transmigrate into a (usually) recently dead body then I might chose the later. maybe.
    also, I don't really see QT as the same genre as a simply body snatching story because the MC jumps from body to body anywhere from 4 to 12 times in the course of a series, while in the basic transmigration genre the MC jumps into one body and spends the rest of the story as that one person.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  12. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick transmigration I guess

13. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    As a reading experience - both are fine. From an ethical point - I'd go with reincarnation.

Cutter Masterson and AliceShiki like this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's honestly pretty hard to find a difference between both tbh.

Like... If person A reincarnates as character B from the novel they read in their previous life, but only regain their past life memories after X years... Does that count as reincarnation or transmigration? I mean, they technically reincarnated, but the outcome of the reincarnation is the same as if they had transmigrated...

I think they're really interchangeable and I am fine with both.

If anything, I guess I enjoy transmigration more in the specific scenario where both personalities coexist, instead of having the new one overwriting the old one.

Nimroth likes this.
  15. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigration is just reincarnation with more leeway for faceslapping

16. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually prefer reincarnation stories, only because transmigration always happens after the MC's life has already gone to hell and is despised by everyone. Mind you, the childhood phase gets repetitive and boring. I would prefer transmigration if only they transmigrated 2 or 3 years earlier, when the MC hasn't been shown to be "trash" with no talent. But no, the MC is already known by everyone as a useless trash and/or a despicable villain. Every. Single. Time.

17. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation.
    Its a total wipe, a clean slate if you must.

I can gain very much everything except money during infancy to young adult years. Its a plus starting as a baby rather than putting my fat ass body into an another world.

18. JSS

JSS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not reincarnation as usually they fall into trap of known it already and done it already . This make stories with reduced stakes in comparison to fighting , exploring and adjusting in case of transmigration. So transmigration feel more like adventure .

19. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation, I like how MC redeems himself/herself or gets revenge. I don't like the how some novels makes the MC too OP tho like remembering lottery ticket number or something.

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't find that there's all that much difference in general, but transmigration works a little better for a couple of reasons. The first is that authors often start off the character as children and put them into adventures that are suited for older characters. The other thing is that I like protagonists that don't fit into their environments smoothly. Having to struggle a bit to adjust to the new world is one of the more entertaining parts of the story and transmigration lends itself to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.