Let's Talk About Lengths...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan's authors have it, China's have it, Korea's have it. :blobpeek:

The Chinese have cornered the market on novel lengths, the Japanese continue to further their dominance over title lengths while the Koreans would go to any lengths to stop fan-translations.

But I am here to let you know Japan has done it again! :blobparty:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: When My Childhood Friend Dumped Me and I Was Expelled From the Soccer Team, My Other Childhood Friend Started Hanging Out With Me to the Point Where I Didn’t Want To Be Around Her (Ex) Anymore. EH? You Want Me To Come Back Because You’re in Trouble Because I’m Gone? I Don’t Know Anything About That Now. (at 304 characters has finally broken through the 300 barrier)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Exiled in a Class Trial for “Poor Dexterity”. Because He Was Dexterous, He Lived on His Own. Because of His Dexterity, He Was Able to Use All the Skills and Magic of the Higher Ranks, Making Him Invincible. I Decided to Live on My Own, but the People Around Me Wouldn’t Leave Me Alone. (285 characters, just 15 short of 300)
    Credits to a certain reptilian mod

Link to prev. thread: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/longest-nu-title-loses-title.118106/

Someone needs to let the Japanese know that this isn't exactly what people mean when they say 'it's the character that counts'. :blobwoah:

Now you might be wondering why is it such a big deal. Well, I was bored and suddenly felt 'twas extremely important to let NUF know. :blobpats:

BTW, the title has four freaking full stops. Period. :blobtriumph:

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why think of a creative 1-5 word title when you can just summarize the book in the title.

3. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    I just realized that I don't remember any title of Japanese novels and manga I read before.

I miss classic Japanese works...

otaku31 likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    no, nay, nada~
    its alll because of....

5. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    At some point, Japan has to ask itself:
    Why make excessively long titles if you already know you're going to shorten it into 2-5 characters/syllables. They know their fanbase is going to. Even when they are trapped in some kind of otome game or rpg or whatever, they still shorten those titles.

Sure, it might draw some attention to the novel, but I'm not going to sit here, read it, and think, "Well, the characters are a bit bland and I saw the convoluted plan of evil dude a long time ago, but I did recognize the author sprinkled a bit of long title into his writing, which made it a lot more palatable. 4/5"

aShinyVaporeon and otaku31 like this.
  6. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember: That time I got reincarnated as a slime
    A certain magical index
    Overlord ​
    Aaaaaand thats it

seemanta and Aachiin0914 like this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, what surprises me the most is that the translators actually translate the whole title.

If I was the translator, I'd probably translate the novel's name as "Invincible Dexterous Loner" or something.
    Syosetu doesn't have covers to draw readers' attention. Pretty much the only thing you have that can attract them to click on your novel and read the synopsis is the title itself. The long descriptive titles are a consequence of Syosetu's medium that favors descriptive titles over succinct titles.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe they only know or just goes with Literal Translation of The Title
    they can choice hmm re translate or re phrasing

tldr

it can apply to novel too!

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye but the shortening only happens when the series becomes popular, which to be fair is more than enough. I havent heard anyone almost ever use the full title - it is always the shortened ver. or the initial 2-3 words. That being said I feel like a cycle will come that authors will go for super short titles to stand out, for example - "86" or relatively short names like "Tantei wa mou, Shindeiru".

aShinyVaporeon and otaku31 like this.
  10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I had my suspicions that it might be the new longest but I'm glad to hear that's the case! I might need to decide my next tl by the length of the title so we can keep getting this record broken.

11. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JP authors might be making their titles longer in the anticipation of their story becoming popular. After all, it's only when a title is long that it can be aptly abbreviated. :blobhyperthink:

There are records waiting to be broken, and as dutiful TLs, they must respond to the call. :blobhero:
    See what I'm talking about?

Yass! And can you make it 300 chars pls? :aww:
    I will make a thread eulogizing your feat if you do, pinky promise. :blobok:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    AliceShiki and UnGrave like this.
  12. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobjoy:

otaku31 likes this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah even shorter titles get abbreviated, infact it might be a good idea to find out what is the shortest jp title that gets commonly abbreviated - like we all expected sukasuka abbreviation for "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?" but even "Seishun buta Yarou series" get abbreviated as AoButa

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    When you check the top 5 rankings on syosetsu, only the title is displayed. When you do searches or check the daily/weekly/etc rankings specifically the synopsis and tags are also shown, but the title is bigger and easier to read anyway. I don't know if it matters more than the tags, though.

It's helpful for attracting readers early on and the JP community has the helpful habit of abbreviating titles down to 4 syllables in discussion even when the original title is just 6 syllables so any length doesn't hurt.

15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    It's interesting because as far as I'm aware, story sharing subreddits are also following the same pattern due to titles being the only thing most people will see of the story at first glace.

aShinyVaporeon and AliceShiki like this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    short attention something is common this day spread among multiple field~
    if you look at online news portal it can be more severe with dangerous click bait to multiple news titles which actually lil bit different each other cuz come from as long as it fast its ok~

17. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like an Alternian Movie title

otaku31 likes this.
  18. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe Japan will create separate rankings for the longest title. Who knows! That's why authors are making the titles so long, to win the award.

otaku31 likes this.
  19. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, is this really a novel title? Until I saw the link below I thought it was a spoiler or a summary of a novel plot. Now I get why I can't remember any of the titles of the Japanese novels. But I like their novels tho...

otaku31 likes this.
  20. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.