why do people like normal game world novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by R0hqn, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R0hqn

R0hqn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i personally love novels where the mc is reincarnated into a game world like the legendary mechanic, summoning of the holy sword, amber sword, abyss domination, and night ranger. But one type of novel that i truly find unbearable to read is ones where the mc just goes back in time and then just plays a game. how is that fun to read? there's no conquience to dying and there's no motivation for doing it, nothing makes you special and ultimately it's all just a game. novels like reincarnation of the strongest sword god, world online, soul of searing steel and so so many others are just like this and i don't know how they get hundreds of millions of views. what am i missing?

Coffea to Ell, Reack and otaku31 like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The premise is usually the game being popular worldwide with a lot of money to be made off it, sometimes even having the world economy revolve around the game, to justify the protag's choice.

Personally, I don't get the enjoyment to be had of reading what could already be classed as secondhand enjoyment.

3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Soul of Searing Steel is a MC that is transmigrated into a game world just like the others you mentioned. In my opinion, it is one of the best no romance adventure stories out there.
    The appeal of Reincarnation Of The Strongest Sword God is the same as something like Library of Heavens Path or Emperor's Domination, OP MC and neverending facesmacking.
    The World Online is just a kingdom building sim like Civilization or something. Some people like that genre and don't want to read the JP ones with goblins.

4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm waiting for a novel with the premise of being so much of an autist that you waste your life playing World of Warcraft and travelling back in time to play that shit game all over again. If I went back in time I'd rather dump all my money on bitcoin and GameStop and shit.

Gitami, JSS, linmeili and 2 others like this.
  5. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. An MC getting sucked inot a gameworld or having game elements as a tool are cool, but the 2nd chance actual-game game ones... how would there be enough interest/importance on a GAME for the world economy to depend on it?

Calahan and Reack like this.
  6. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, the appeal of that type of novel is that they are more realistic so it's easier to connect with the main character and live vicariously. Plus that type of novel plays heavily on the idea of a second chance and who hasn't wished to be able to go back in time to make up for all their mistakes and regrets. It's enjoyable seeing someone getting a second chance and using everything they learned to reach the top while still getting awesome battles and action.

Reack likes this.
  7. R0hqn

R0hqn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry i forgot about this one

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmmmmmm... I think the appeal is the same as most other gaming novels?

I mean, it's fun to read novels about protagonists playing games to me. Especially with VR and what not... Adding a second chance aspect to it just means that the protagonist knows more about what is broken and what is not, so they can more easily become one of the top players... I don't think that's a problem? I mean... Even without the second chance, the protag would probably be a top player anyways, since that's how those stories go.

So... Overall, I'd say the appeal is the same that any gaming novel has... It's just fun? I mean... There are no stakes when a character is gaming. It's quite relaxed and carefree, really.

For example, I'm currently reading a novel about a girl that is a psychopath from a rich family, and that often times has to hold herself back to not kill her father and stuff... Well, what she does most of the time is to dive deep into a VR game and spend her whole day playing and killing people left and right. She can enjoy herself to the fullest without really needing to bother with any laws or whatever since it's just a game anyways... I find that fun. You're seeing things from a psycho's perspective, yet it's all light-hearted killing left and right~

Adding a Second Chance aspect to this story would most likely change nothing in all honesty, since she is already the top player and stuff. So... I'd say it would be basically the same~

lazilygrinningcat likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the game, videogame~ thats it~
    consequence is relative, most action theme is meh if we talk about consequence stuff on wn~ dying? how thick is da plot armor?
    beside take those vancy stuff of VR on many games type then you get usual fantasy stuff~ even transported into da game world still same~
    its about how to execute it~
    after all it just a story~

10. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like normal games in novels, especially because I would never play those kinds of games IRL and sometimes they're pretty fun, like if there's an eSports Pro League or something~ blobmelt_thumbs

11. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    must be a sick game if mc is willing to go back in time just to play it, still, as long as he's not going back in time just to cheat on an exam, i'm all for it

12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it is the other way around, if a story has to be including game elements at all then I would rather it be about just playing a game.
    It isn't any stranger than people reading stories about playing sports or engaging in any other hobby.
    Not all stories need high stakes, and there is plenty of ways to do that without risk of death anyway.

That said, I despise the travel back in time trope regardless of if it has game elements or not.

mir and AliceShiki like this.
  13. JSS

JSS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel these novels pointless as there are people killing others ?, betraying ? ,Revenge? Only for game character and rewards .
    Is playing games so hardcore and risky profession in china ?
    Yes or no i need answers

14. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigration, reincarnation, 2nd chance, isekai etc. All of these just have a slight difference in setting and introduction, at the end of the day they'll follow the same skeleton and depend on the MC's knowledge. Then the MC will be OP and loved by all the tails. That's why readers love them, it's their own brand of their daily dose of wish fulfillment.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of novels that don't have OP MCs and Wish-fulfillment in them that still make use of those tropes... You just need to try looking for them a bit.

16. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would I bother reading a loser MC even after all those disadvantages?

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    A MC is not defined by the duality of loser/OP. There is more to characterization than just that... For one, the character could be normal.
    Or they could be in a story that doesn't revolve around fighting, so the characterization of OP/Loser doesn't even make sense... >.>

A common trope in Korean Second Chance novels, for example, is the Female MC dying and then suddenly going back in time before her death, and now she needs to find a way to avert her death, even though more often than not she was actually innocent and didn't deserve to be executed... So she needs to find out what caused things to set in motion in the way that eventually led to her death and then avert those events.

They may often times also be affected by a trauma of their death, which might make it hard for them to approach their killer even if they need to get close to change the future, leading to pretty interesting situations to read about.

... That's just one example of one popular trope, there are plenty of others available. Basically, novels that actually try to make proper use of the Second Chance and/or Reincarnation setting to actually make an interesting background that actually matters for a well thought out story end up being pretty good... Differently from stories that make use of a slightly-relatable background to easily fulfill readers wish-fulfillment fantasies... >.>

18. lazilygrinningcat

lazilygrinningcat Cookie Thief

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask for the title of that novel? That sounds like it would be a great read.

19. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    But we're talking about 2nd chance, transmigration fantasy novels. Not shounen AI ones. Female MC stories are the worst. They have the most ridiculous side characters and rules. For some reason, everybody wants to kill the FMC yet they'll get away scot free unless caught red handed. However, someone mention that it's FMC's fault then she's guilty until proven innocent. I used to joke about CN novels coughing blood, but these stories proved me otherwise.

Also you're wrong to say that having a loser MC won't affect the story. No matter how great the writing is, if the readers are not fond of the MC. Then it will fail to entertain the readers. Majority of wish-fulfillment readers would not mind those shortcomings because they have fun with all that faceslapping and quantified power ups.

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well you already give the solution tho
    its not for the wish fulfillment reader, different target audience

this cat agree at part the side character on female mc on story da mc executed or killed or axed or such kinda make this cat wonder how such thing can happen~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.