What will you do if you suddenly received a big sum of money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OurPrinceNiki, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Deleted member 312931

Deleted member 312931 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll invest it on business or save it

2. VIIrious

VIIrious Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Waste it on sugar babies lmao ♡

3. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh... Learn investment, stock market, stuff like that and use the money for that

kkgoh likes this.
  4. Deleted member 332070

Deleted member 332070 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I will build a harem for myself:blobnosebleed:

5. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How much is a big sum?

Is it enough for me to purchase a house in Singapore, for example?

If it is, then what I will do is purchase a house, buy some herbs at the Chinese pharmacy and then go home and cultivate?

6. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I'm actually impressed that many Nuffians are financially educated (y)

Baldingere likes this.
  7. DanT88

DanT88 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I happen to win a large sum of money, I will invest it in bitcoin.Look at how much bitcoin is growing right now . At the very least it is a very profitable investment. If not the most profitable, then one of the most profitable! I can tell you just from my experience that having a small amount of money in bitcoin is very profitable. You just have to think about its security. I personally use crypto mixer service to secure my bitcoins. It mixes my bitcoins with other people's bitcoins and it helps me to hide my money from prying eyes. I also invest a lot of money and I do my 100% to keep it quiet and unnoticeable. That's why I can recommend https://bitmix.biz/en from my side. In my opinion it is a very convenient service.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  8. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that's really interesting. In NZ the taxes are incorporated into the lottery tickets themselves, so you don't pay tax on the winnings. Our prize pool is pretty small though (iirc the maximum is 50 million for a single prize draw). You get the entire thing as a lump sum into a nominated bank account and you only pay taxes on interest earned. If a lottery hits "Must be won" status and there are no winners in the top bracket, it keeps rolling down through the brackets until it hits somebody.

I didn't win the lottery, but I've had a lot of luck coupled with hard work and a little bit of insight over the years. I have a team that takes care of the financial side of things for me. I basically just told them what my financial goals were and they run a twice-yearly evaluation to report back on current progress, as well as make adjustments as my needs/wants change. This frees me up to do the stuff I'm good at and saves me a lot of stress on my end.

kkgoh likes this.
  9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    In the USA, the actual "take home" amount you get from a lottery win depends on:
    • whether you take the prize as an annuity (paid out over 30 years) or as a lump sum (~ 68% of the quoted prize).
    • the federal taxes (24% immediately, then the other 13% when you file your taxes for a total of 37% assuming your big win put you at the highest tax bracket)
    • state taxes (depends on state, could be 0% to 10.75%)
    So for example, today's (4/9/2021) Mega Millions' jackpot is $201 million. If you won and took it as a lump sum, lived in NJ, and paid full federal taxes, your actual take home is a measly, little over $71 million, ie 35% of the $201 million jackpot. Of course, everyone will still proclaim that you "won $201 million". Kidnappers will still demand $100 million for the return of your children.

imK and kkgoh like this.
  10. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah my sister in law lives in the states and a few family members/bunch of friends. I remember thinking "Wow, that's a lot" until they explained how the system for it worked and then it was a bit eh. I think Australia's lottery is similar. You pay tax and then state tax, but I'm not sure about if they eat a penalty for taking a lump sum or not.

11. Zissel

Zissel Blue Blue Gold❣❣

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the amount
    Save some in my secret stash, Save some for Ivy league college, some for business, providing my parents a better life and make them work less hard

12. opath422

opath422 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    invest it into basket funds, then buy a house, then buy my dream wardrobe, then by some bags that are investments, and keep the rest for savings. My parents still feed me and provide me housing so...

13. Naraina

Naraina Step Red Sibling ⭐ | † Trickster

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll invest , yeah just invest and try to increase the amount for the time when I actually need it >.>

14. Zinnrot

Zinnrot Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Split it. Some will go for saving and while others will go for investing. Trying to make the current life to becomes better and also trying to increase the amount by investing it.

15. Blitzerous

Blitzerous Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Repay back parents, move out and buy a house, get a Masters and enjoy life.