Discussion I’m so glad that the gyms are open again in my area.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cutter Masterson, Apr 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    So I’ve been going to the gym for about a month. Usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday. For about an hour or two. My question is anyone have any advice or routine to recommend. I’m in a whole eating right and exercising fix. I so don’t want to stop. 2020 the year that never was. Made me want to go out and take better care of myself. Thanks for listening

2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you trying to brag? You think we here exercise?

3. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only do BWEs every second day and in between those days I jog for an hour. I highly recommend eating quark, if you want to gain muscles.

TheBookEnthusiast likes this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. I do know a few members exercise. I’m just starting up. So how is that bragging?
    If I was doing it for a long time. Than maybe that would be bragging. But just starting... You do know. That a person won’t be that impressive in one month. Right?

Lurking and TheBookEnthusiast like this.
  5. TheBookEnthusiast

TheBookEnthusiast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s good you’re taking care of your health~ I’m not really one to do much exercise (I still do yoga though) so I can’t really give any advice, but I’ll cheer for you! Ganbatte~

6. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just remember, diet is 90% of the war. If you are trying to put on muscle you need to eat 2600-3000 calories a day and if you are trying to lose weight, you can only work off around 500 calories of energy on average in an hour of effort working out, which is pretty much one very light meal. If you cut out some stuff you don’t really really want it goes a long way.

Of course if you aren’t trying to do either and just want to be healthy then moderate exercise with a variety of health options in your diet is just fine. Don’t forget to stretch to keep up flexibility, avoid injuries, and keep muscles healthy into old age.

Fulminata likes this.
  7. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, I was just joking. It's great that you exercise, keep it up.

8. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Still closed here for some time

9. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I know after all you did like my post, but I felt bad. A part of me thought. Was I being insensitive.
    I appreciate the encouragement. The problem now is if I can keep going or will this be a failed New Year Resolution thing.
    Wish me luck

mir and Walter vi Britannia like this.
  10. countblackula

countblackula Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    good luck dude,
    dont give up when you just started
    even doing exercise 5 times a week for one month can boost up your mood and make you feel better bout yourself
    then its just routine

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  11. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Athlean X on YouTube is pretty good for exercise routines for particular muscles and explanations on how a particular muscle moves. It also has a lot of rehab stuff if you have any persistent injuries and need to work on them/around them.

The focus is on being lean and capable of doing sports, rather than bodybuilding though in case that matters.

I don't do any squats, etc. because of my back but this might help, it's a set of compound exercises that hit the major/largest muscles:

Finally how muscle growth actually works:

12. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Ill do my best!

Thanks. I’ll try to incorporate some of what he’s doing

Vanidor likes this.
  13. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    My favourite gym has been open for a while, but they're pretty strict on numbers and all that. I go in, do my sets and leave asap. I don't think kiwis in general appreciate that a lot of our covid results come out of good government policies + physical isolation from the rest of the world + small population (don't even know if we've hit 5 million yet). I hardly ever see anyone wearing a mask and there's a lot of people not obeying the 2m rule. We're lucky, but we really need to keep up the efforts if we don't want to get wrecked by our own complacency.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck with your exercises! Make sure to remain properly cautious during these troubling times though! >.<

Fulminata and Cutter Masterson like this.
  15. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    can you give me some sources on that weight loss 90% thing? Its for a friend, im helping her with research

16. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I don’t think 90% is an actual statistic but rather more of a saying. That being said, it is a fact that excess caloric energy will be converted to fat (net positive), and fat/muscle is burned whenever your body is in need of caloric energy(net negative). Hence, if we pull some sources for exercise activity and associated caloric burning and compare that to caloric intake for certain foods, it’s quite easy to see how important diet is.

Here's a quick list of potential calorie loss in 30 minutes for given exercises. As you can see, most exercises linger in the 500-600 calories burned per hour range, the typical amount of time someone might spend exercising at the gym. Assuming your friend is an average woman, she would require somewhere around 1800-2000 calories to function normally every day without a physically intensive job.

You can see pretty easily that if we cut off 400-500 calories from this range, you are already at a net negative every day and would thus lose weight. This is before even accounting for any exercise. Furthermore, you can see that if someone takes in a normal amount of calories for their first 2 meals before dinner (ie around 1200 calories using 1800 as an index), goes to the gym to burn 600 calories, and then thinks they earned a pizza for dinner (1200 calories minimum usually), you end up with 1200+1200-600=1800 net caloric intake. This is exactly equal to your necessary calories to function and hence you will not lose any weight, so you want to avoid calorie-heavy foods if possible.

As you can see, it is much easier to cut things out of your diet to lose weight than exercising in theory, but resisting temptation can be very hard. Bad foods carry much more calories than your 1-hour gym session can account for if you want to lose weight. The best case is to exercise but try not to sabotage yourself too much with bad foods, otherwise, you will be pretty stuck at a certain weight. It should also be said that if you starve yourself to around 1200 calories per day you can also lose weight really easily, but it's not necessarily something I would be confident saying is healthy and won't have any negative effects.

kkgoh and Cutter Masterson like this.
  17. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly only read while exercising.

18. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say focus on functional fitness rather than just number of times or hours that you hit the gym.
    Looking good is one thing. Ending up easily hurt is another. I'm surprisingly stronger now than in my 20s. Even rotator cuff issues went away once I learned more compound exercises.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/functional-fitness/art-20047680

Also don't forget to do a lot of foam rolling for self-myofascial release. Really helps with neck, back and leg (IT band) issues.
    Gotta limber up before the zombies get you.
    [​IMG]

Then basic cardio, especially with HIITS (high intensity intervals) rather than just long periods on a treadmill.
    [​IMG]

And yea, like @Hamski mentioned, calorie counting is pretty important. All those fancy diet plans (keto, paleo, whatever) still requires hitting calorie targets to work. Pigging out on 3000 calories of chicken breasts is still gonna make you fat.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021